• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pee stained feet

Alicia

Mama Doe
I clean their litter tray every other day but they sit in it. They have a mat but apart from that there’s nowhere for them to sit apart from the floor. I would get them some other things to sit on/sleep in but they always wee in it so I don’t know what to do. Would cleaning the litter tray every day help? If I do that should I put less litter in? I normally put lots of litter in but I don’t want to waste it if I’m changing it every day. Or would a different litter help? I use cat wood litter at the moment. They’re going to boarding next week and I don’t want anyone to think they’re dirty

I clean their litter tray every other day but they sit in it. They have a mat but apart from that there’s nowhere for them to sit apart from the floor. I would get them some other things to sit on/sleep in but they always wee in it so I don’t know what to do. Would cleaning the litter tray every day help? If I do that should I put less litter in? I normally put lots of litter in but I don’t want to waste it if I’m changing it every day. Or would a different litter help? I use cat wood litter at the moment. They’re going to boarding next week and I don’t want anyone to think they’re dirty

I'd definitely change the litter tray daily.

Are they kept in a hutch ?

Going a bit OT, but re them going into boarding, are they all fully vaccinated (Nobivac Myxo-RHD and either Filivac or Eravac) The latter two within the last 6 months ?

Do you put hay on top of the litter? Maybe get a bigger tray. Mine wee in the two back corners so they can sit in the front and munch on hay without sitting in wee. I also layer extra hay on top like a bunny lasagna of hay wee and golden poops.

I empty every other day because it's a huge tray and the buns are teeny. Also Pip doesn't like me fussing in her house. Lol

I also change litter trays daily. I've tried a few litters etc and find puppy pads and hay works best for us, although buying puppy pads can be quite costly over time. I wouldn't be too concerned about stained feet personally, Jasmine is white and her feet are very stained. Jake is a very clean rabbit (all the vets say he's the cleanest rabbit they've seen haha) but generally my previous bunnies all had some amount of staining I think. I'm sure the boarder won't think anything of it :)

I change the litter tray every day, but I also top it up with extra hay once a day too, just to cover over the poo and stop them sitting in it.

Since they always wee in one part of the litter tray, I can reuse the wood shavings from the other half of the litter tray. This reduces wastage.

It also sounds like the litte you are using isn't absorbant enough.

Mine like to dig the litter out into a different corner, wee and then sit in it sometimes. Or wee on the floor and sit in it. I use the recycled paper pellets and they're pretty absorbent so we don't get much wee-on-feet issue here if the buns are being sensible... :roll:

Back