• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How 'Private' are PMs on This Forum ?

Maybe everyones temporarily changed while Tasmin made some adjustments.

I looked but definitely have no access or idea who you pm or who pm's you, let alone being able to read anything. I would assume it would be against the law and every member on RU is covered by the data protection act. Xxx

I don't think anything was changed by admin or everybody would be affected - nobody else is complaining about it however.

I am far too cynical but I have my own theory - I will keep it to myself however.

on the note of the site being not secure, all it means is that its not encrypted end to end by HTTPS (Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure). from my understanding (although its limited) it means that end to end communication isn't "scrambled" if the site was to be hacked. all it means is that you shouldn't share any sensitive information be it PM's or giving your credit card to the site. that would be credit card information, security questions or passwords even if sent via PM to another member.

that's not to say anybody who is a forum supporter is putting themselves at risk, as it is handled outside of RU on paypal, which is encrypted and is hosted elsewhere, so RU doesn't have any of your details anyway.

nobody else can access your PM's, no mod & maybe not even Tamsin, unless its reported I would presume.

*IF* somebody hacked the site they may be able to see your PM's, but I think they would be trying to find actual sensitive information such as payment details, which they wouldn't find as its handled via paypal. unless somebody was directly attacking you, but they'd be a pretty poor individual to go through all of that to just view your PM's.

Yea no one can see them as far as I'm aware, and I don't think mods can change those settings, only Tamsin could I think?

Sent via carrier pigeon

I recall my settings going a little squiffy a while ago but I really don't think it is anything sinister.
I agree with BYB about PMs.
I would be happier if it were a secure site and don't know why it isn't.

I recall my settings going a little squiffy a while ago but I really don't think it is anything sinister.
I agree with BYB about PMs.
I would be happier if it were a secure site and don't know why it isn't.
I think the thing to remember is, it's secure to the level it needs to be. Idk if that makes sense?

If you was buying stuff on here it wouldn't be enough. But as it is, it's secure enough for what's on here :)

Idk if pms are encrypted... If they aren't and someone "attacked" potentially if they aren't encrypted someone could read your messages...but Idk how many hackers are targeting bunny forums... And the amount of stuff they'd have to trawl through would be immense.

Basically for what this is, I think it's fine and I wouldn't worry about it not being "secure" because it is, to the point it needs to be :)

Sent via carrier pigeon

I think the thing to remember is, it's secure to the level it needs to be. Idk if that makes sense?

If you was buying stuff on here it wouldn't be enough. But as it is, it's secure enough for what's on here :)

Idk if pms are encrypted... If they aren't and someone "attacked" potentially if they aren't encrypted someone could read your messages...but Idk how many hackers are targeting bunny forums... And the amount of stuff they'd have to trawl through would be immense.

Basically for what this is, I think it's fine and I wouldn't worry about it not being "secure" because it is, to the point it needs to be :)

Sent via carrier pigeon

:thumb:

Mods can't access anybody else's PM's either. There's certain info only Tamsin has access to - she can mass delete spam PM's, for example, if need be. I'm not 100% sure whether she can read them if she chooses to but, needless to say, if it were possible then she would only do it when absolutely necessary.

So paying for a Forum Supporter subscription may not be safe ?? I did that a few months ago (now expired).

Not trying to be difficult (honest) I am genuinely concerned about the 'Not Secure' issue.

So paying for a Forum Supporter subscription may not be safe ?? I did that a few months ago (now expired).

Not trying to be difficult (honest) I am genuinely concerned about the 'Not Secure' issue.
Payment is handled by a secure third party app, so it's safe - no payment details are stored or taken on RU, so it's safe :)

Sent via carrier pigeon

I had a little forum once and I could see pms. It never really got underway so I didn’t find out how a bigger system works.

Back