• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best kinds of hay that give nice poop!

Thumper98

Warren Scout
I know there are many hay related threads around, so pls excuse another one!

Does anyone know from experience which kinds of hay are most effective for preventing soft stools? My girl Lilou has been giving me soft caecotrophy poos every morning which worries the hell out of me becos that means shes going to be losing weight and not getting the nutrition she needs. She is on Protexin Profiber pellets and that works well for her but they are currently out of stock and I will only receive my next pack next week. In the meantime, I cannot allow her to keep losing weight as she's already skin and bones.

She doesn't really like timothy hay (too tough and chewy for an almost toothless 9 year old dame) so what else would work? Right now on a local brand that contains lots of wild herbs, which I think isn't doing the job though she likes it.

thanks RU :wave:

Tbh I’ve not come across hay that has affected my rabbits like that, but alfalfa might be one to steer clear of. Could it be anything else in her diet that is causing it ? Excess pellets, excess veg or certain types of veg can cause it, so you might find a cause outside of the hay.

If she doesn’t like Timothy hay, meadow hay might suit her :thumb:

Tbh I’ve not come across hay that has affected my rabbits like that, but alfalfa might be one to steer clear of. Could it be anything else in her diet that is causing it ? Excess pellets, excess veg or certain types of veg can cause it, so you might find a cause outside of the hay.

If she doesn’t like Timothy hay, meadow hay might suit her :thumb:
This. Although alfalfa might be okay (not as a main hay) because it's fattening.. So might help her put on some weight?

If she eats hay, I'd guess that's not the issue but maybe too many pellets or something else too much in her diet? Hard to say, but hay doesn't normally cause excess caecotrophs ime?

Has a vet worked out why she is losing weight? Just wondering if there could be a reason.

Sent via carrier pigeon

Thanks guys! I bought a new batch of 'softer' timothy hay to try out again today (if she doesn't eat it, her brother will so its fine).

BUT I am having a eureka moment - think her sudden poor digestion could be due to her being on Baytril for a few weeks now. She's never been a good hay eater but she's never had such BAD digestion and huge amounts of uneaten caecotrophs before. I can't figure out why because her blood work came out fine and her teeth are fixed (for now). I googled and it seems Baytril does have side effects and interferes with digestion. So, perhaps I've finally cracked it now! The good thing is she's off Baytril since last night... let's see if things resolve itself over the next days!

Anyone know of similar side effects due to Baytril use?

Thanks guys! I bought a new batch of 'softer' timothy hay to try out again today (if she doesn't eat it, her brother will so its fine).

BUT I am having a eureka moment - think her sudden poor digestion could be due to her being on Baytril for a few weeks now. She's never been a good hay eater but she's never had such BAD digestion and huge amounts of uneaten caecotrophs before. I can't figure out why because her blood work came out fine and her teeth are fixed (for now). I googled and it seems Baytril does have side effects and interferes with digestion. So, perhaps I've finally cracked it now! The good thing is she's off Baytril since last night... let's see if things resolve itself over the next days!

Anyone know of similar side effects due to Baytril use?

Yes! Mine leave caecotrophs when on meds, because I think they taste different - their poop also smells very different to me.

Sent via carrier pigeon

Back