• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone had any experience of three sisters?

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Hi All

After the initial scare that my brother had purchased two males from PAH :censored: he then went to the rescue centre as planned and has reserved three (6 week old) sisters! There were two boys available, I had suggested that male and female were the best combo but he and his fiancée fell in love with the three sisters. I have told him that they'll all need neutering and he understands this.

He asked me if it was possible to rehome the Mum as well as he felt bad taking her babies away but I told him for a first time rabbit owner (he had one as a child but I mainly looked after it), three was definitely enough!

Any tips I can pass on? He's due to get them in a couple of weeks time leaving him plenty of time to sort out a very large hutch and run! :)

I can understand him wanting to have Mum as well. She would have possibly remained the dominant one. If the sisters fall out he will need more than one hutch until they are re-bonded, but there is also a chance that one or two might not be girls, but boys. I hope it all turns out really well for the bunnies and your Son.

Make sure they are fully vaccinated ASAP.
Lots of hay.
Keep to the same pellets they are on and gradually swap over a few weeks if you need to.
Neuter at 6 months old - weather should be getting a bit warmer by then. hopefully. I would get them all done together if possible - then there is one recovery period and they will all be going through the same stages together.
And don't forget the piccies.

Yes - we do!

Our very first buns were three sisters who we got at 10 weeks (this was before we got into rescuing).

They've all been spayed (when the time came obv) and get along perfectly. They are always snuggled together and always eat together in a line. There has never been any hint of aggression or anything between them.

They have a wooden child's playhouse with a tunnel connecting to a 12ftx6ft run, to give you some idea of the space / set up required. There are times, when it's obvious one is upset with the others for some reason (they sit in the corner of the run or come in later for food) but I think a set up this size allows them their own space if they need a break from one another x

Yes - we do!

Our very first buns were three sisters who we got at 10 weeks (this was before we got into rescuing).

They've all been spayed (when the time came obv) and get along perfectly. They are always snuggled together and always eat together in a line. There has never been any hint of aggression or anything between them.

They have a wooden child's playhouse with a tunnel connecting to a 12ftx6ft run, to give you some idea of the space / set up required. There are times, when it's obvious one is upset with the others for some reason (they sit in the corner of the run or come in later for food) but I think a set up this size allows them their own space if they need a break from one another x

That's a lovely story Three B's. I didn't know you had a group of 3 sisters. I had a group of 5 years ago which all got on, but another group of 3 all kept chasing and had to be split up.

Thanks all! They have all had one vaccination, due the others in a couple of weeks.

I've only had male female combos although the lady who boards my rabbits had a mum and two daughters that were fine.

I'm going to go through my rabbiting on magazines later and pull out any useful info!

had 2 unspayed sisters before. no probs at all except the odd seasonal issue where they would have massive fights. never lasted but a lot of fur was left on the ground.

That's a lovely story Three B's. I didn't know you had a group of 3 sisters. I had a group of 5 years ago which all got on, but another group of 3 all kept chasing and had to be split up.

Yes, they are in fact, 'the three b's' - Bonny, Bluebell and Bing :) x

Back