• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying after loss of companion

Sunni

New Kit
Hello all
Two weeks ago we suddenly lost our lovely male lop, Kai. Looking back it could have been a kidney problem but we aren't sure. I'm devastated and keep wishing I had gone to the vets earlier (etc ect). Esme (our female lionhead) seems to be taking it all in her stride. I put Kai's body back in the run for her to sniff on that day and since have been giving her extra attention - though, of the pair, she was the least fond of strokes and fuss. Anyway now I'm wondering what to do... she was booked in for her pre-op exam for her spay the day after Kai died. Obviously we cancelled it but now I don't know whether to get on with it and then we can get on with finding her a new husbun. Or wait... because she must already being feeling traumatised.
I'd like to adopt from a rescue place and they always want the females to be spayed even if you're adopting a neutered male. She doesn't seem too down being on her own but would the stress of the operation and recovery be too much for her too soon - especially as she's alone?? (At least I no longer have the issue of how to separate them post-op!)

Also, how long after the op would you recommend I wait before I (or hopefully someone else!) start the bonding process??

Thank you!!!

I’m so sorry you lost Kai :cry: I’m glad Esme seems to be coping well. As far as spaying goes, I would be guided by how she seems, if she’s happy and well, and eating, I would ask at the vets if she can be spayed. If you and they think she is up to it then I would go ahead. Normally it’s advisable to wait about 6 weeks post spay for her to recover and her hormones to subside before attempting bonding.

Sorry you lost Kai. Is your female vaccinated as you need to get this done before having her spayed. If she is vaccinated then she should be able to cope with the spay as long as she is otherwise healthy.

Hello all
Two weeks ago we suddenly lost our lovely male lop, Kai. Looking back it could have been a kidney problem but we aren't sure. I'm devastated and keep wishing I had gone to the vets earlier (etc ect). Esme (our female lionhead) seems to be taking it all in her stride. I put Kai's body back in the run for her to sniff on that day and since have been giving her extra attention - though, of the pair, she was the least fond of strokes and fuss. Anyway now I'm wondering what to do... she was booked in for her pre-op exam for her spay the day after Kai died. Obviously we cancelled it but now I don't know whether to get on with it and then we can get on with finding her a new husbun. Or wait... because she must already being feeling traumatised.
I'd like to adopt from a rescue place and they always want the females to be spayed even if you're adopting a neutered male. She doesn't seem too down being on her own but would the stress of the operation and recovery be too much for her too soon - especially as she's alone?? (At least I no longer have the issue of how to separate them post-op!)

Also, how long after the op would you recommend I wait before I (or hopefully someone else!) start the bonding process??

Thank you!!!

Hi Sunni, I am sorry to hear you lost Kai :cry:

I would echo what tonibun says, that vaccinations are *paramount*.
At the moment there are literally hundreds of cases of RHD2 in the UK and before spaying I would certainly consider vaccinating.
Sorry to be reminding you, if you already have!

The two vaccinations are:

Novibac/Mxyo - this covers for Myxo and RHD1

Filavac - this covers for RHD1 + RHD2

If you look here you'll see how important this is - ESPECIALLY RHD2:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...RHD2-More-Cases-(-Update-November-2018/page35

If your vet says she is fine to be spayed, then be guided by him/her, and then give her around 4 weeks to recover before attempting to bond her with another rabbit.

I hope that helps

Yes, I had both of them vaccinated when I first got them (the previous owner hadn't ever taken them to the vet!).
So, sounds like we're good to go.
Thanks. x

Back