• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinations Again

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
I've just read someone saying the Myxo/RHD1 vac takes 3 weeks to get established and only 2 weeks for RHD2. When Fiver had his Myxo jab they put him down to have the RHD2 in 3 weeks but I said Oh no he can have it 2 weeks later, so they changed the date. Now I am wondering which is correct, taking into consideration how Fiver lost condition after the RHD2 vaccine - I am now wondering was he still establishing the first vac hence him losing condition post 2nd vac.

Nobivac (Myxo/RHD1) does take three weeks to establish immunity but the two week wait is the general protocol length of time between different vaccinations, not necessarily the time wait for establishment of the first. Filavac (RHD1 and 2) takes 1 week to establish, not sure about Eravac.

Nobivac (Myxo/RHD1) does take three weeks to establish immunity but the two week wait is the general protocol length of time between different vaccinations, not necessarily the time wait for establishment of the first. Filavac (RHD1 and 2) takes 1 week to establish, not sure about Eravac.

^^^^^^ This, plus Eravac takes 7 days to establish a full immune response

Nobivac Myxo-RHD Data Sheet

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-455496

Filavac Data Sheet

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/filavac.doc

Eravac Data Sheet

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/eravac-uk-datasheet-0.pdf

I've just read someone saying the Myxo/RHD1 vac takes 3 weeks to get established and only 2 weeks for RHD2. When Fiver had his Myxo jab they put him down to have the RHD2 in 3 weeks but I said Oh no he can have it 2 weeks later, so they changed the date. Now I am wondering which is correct, taking into consideration how Fiver lost condition after the RHD2 vaccine - I am now wondering was he still establishing the first vac hence him losing condition post 2nd vac.

Hi tonibun

Yes that's correct, the Novibac does take 3 weeks to establish full immunity.

The Filavac (RHD1 +2) and Eravac (RHD1) takes only 1 week.

Two weeks is the 'standard' amount of time recommended to leave between vaccinations, though I would always leave at least three weeks after the Novibac so long as that was practical :)

When you say he lost condition Tb, do you mean he became poorly after the jab?

As you may remember, Thor had his Rhd2 jab on the Wednesday, was poorly the weekend and passed the Monday evening. He'd had the Rhd2 jab two weeks after the Combi, was this too soon then? Might the jab have contributed to his death?

I remember Mervinius saying their rabbit wasn't themselves after the jab too! x

When you say he lost condition Tb, do you mean he became poorly after the jab?

As you may remember, Thor had his Rhd2 jab on the Wednesday, was poorly the weekend and passed the Monday evening. He'd had the Rhd2 jab two weeks after the Combi, was this too soon then? Might the jab have contributed to his death?

I remember Mervinius saying their rabbit wasn't themselves after the jab too! x

Well I did have my suspicions. He is young and in vgc, his coat lost its shine, his poohs went small and he didn't have the same appetite like he usually has. I did think I was losing him. I didn't contact the Vets as I didn't think there would be anything they could do, and I certainly didn't want to upset him with a Vet's visit, although he is good at the Vets. So, it makes you wonder. I have since mentioned it to the Vet when I took Dixie and Pixie for their vacs. We just don't know really.

Well I did have my suspicions. He is young and in vgc, his coat lost its shine, his poohs went small and he didn't have the same appetite like he usually has. I did think I was losing him. I didn't contact the Vets as I didn't think there would be anything they could do, and I certainly didn't want to upset him with a Vet's visit, although he is good at the Vets. So, it makes you wonder. I have since mentioned it to the Vet when I took Dixie and Pixie for their vacs. We just don't know really.

Anything like a vaccination is a strain on the immune system whilst it mounts a adequate response.

It never surprises me if buns lose a little condition, or get a weepy eye or something at times like that. So long as they pick up within a couple of weeks things are usually OK

I am sorry I didn't wait the 3 weeks but the Vets should have explained it to me, I thought they had made a mistake with the appointment date. Will the RHD2have taken then if he were building antibodies for the Myxo/RHD1? As the RHD2 includes the 1, are they going to produce just one vaccine to cover all 3?

I am sorry I didn't wait the 3 weeks but the Vets should have explained it to me, I thought they had made a mistake with the appointment date. Will the RHD2have taken then if he were building antibodies for the Myxo/RHD1? As the RHD2 includes the 1, are they going to produce just one vaccine to cover all 3?

We only have our vets to guide us, so of course we go with their advice. Babies have loads of vaccinations all at the same time, and the body is very versatile and capable of coping. I am sure things will be OK.

There maybe a plan to work towards a three in one vaccine. I certainly hope so. Then for one thing the RHD1 component won't be doubled up on.

Back