• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting another rabbit

tucker

New Kit
Hi al
It's been a while since I posted on here. We have a neutered male rabbit which one of my daughters has had for 5 years. My youngest has helped look after him and the rabbit belonging to a neighbour eagerly in all this time. Now after my persuading I have decided she is old enough for one of her own.
Do I get a female / male? as I have no guarantee he/she will be neutered before I get it. As I have no idea yet which one she will want as there are many to choose from.
I've read up on bonding but if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.
Many thanks

Hi, exciting for your daughter :)

If I were you I would find out where your nearest rescue centres are and have a chat with them. It is usually thought that a male/female bonding is easier to achieve, but that isn't always the case. Discuss with the rescue centres which rabbits they have for adoption at the moment and which they think would be a good match for your existing rabbit. Sometimes people take their rabbit along to a rescue centre so that the rescue can try different rabbits for an initial reaction before proceeding with proper bonding. Some rescues will also be prepared to handle the bonding for you in exchange for a small donation.

And the best part of going to a rescue is that all the rabbits will be neutered and vaccinated :thumb:

Let us know how you get on :)

Thanks Omi she is indeed very excited.
I think taking the rabbit we have with us is an excellent idea. At least she can then choose from compatible rabbits.
Many thanks

Hi, exciting for your daughter :)

If I were you I would find out where your nearest rescue centres are and have a chat with them. It is usually thought that a male/female bonding is easier to achieve, but that isn't always the case. Discuss with the rescue centres which rabbits they have for adoption at the moment and which they think would be a good match for your existing rabbit. Sometimes people take their rabbit along to a rescue centre so that the rescue can try different rabbits for an initial reaction before proceeding with proper bonding. Some rescues will also be prepared to handle the bonding for you in exchange for a small donation.

And the best part of going to a rescue is that all the rabbits will be neutered and vaccinated :thumb:

Let us know how you get on :)

I agree with Omi :thumb: good luck with everything :thumb:

Back