Thread: VHD2 vaccinations

Wise Old Thumper

Default VHD2 vaccinations

A friend/neighbour has a fully vaccinated rabbit. (She wasn't aware of RHD2 vac until I told her, so then added that). Our local vet, who she uses, isn't rabbit savvy and, although I checked that the vet is sending her vac reminders, I doubt that they have mentioned about the possible advisability of 6 monthly vaccination for RHD2.

Do you think I should mention that it would be a good idea for her rabbit to have RHD2 booster before the 12 months are up? She has an awful lot to deal with at the moment so I do not want to add another worry to her load but at the same time she and her teenage daughter would be absolutely devastated if anything bad happened to their 'boy'.

Quote Originally Posted by Babsie View Post
    A friend/neighbour has a fully vaccinated rabbit. (She wasn't aware of RHD2 vac until I told her, so then added that). Our local vet, who she uses, isn't rabbit savvy and, although I checked that the vet is sending her vac reminders, I doubt that they have mentioned about the possible advisability of 6 monthly vaccination for RHD2.

Do you think I should mention that it would be a good idea for her rabbit to have RHD2 booster before the 12 months are up? She has an awful lot to deal with at the moment so I do not want to add another worry to her load but at the same time she and her teenage daughter would be absolutely devastated if anything bad happened to their 'boy'.

Using Filavac six monthly is a vet's call really as it's 'off licence'. That said, any vet who's the slightest bit concerned about RHD2 would seriously consider a request like this especially if the rabbit/s were felt to be more high risk.

If I were you I would certainly raise this with your friend as a possibility as something to talk with the vet about.
    You wouldn't forgive yourself if the unthinkable happened and you hadn't said anything.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Using Filavac six monthly is a vet's call really as it's 'off licence'. That said, any vet who's the slightest bit concerned about RHD2 would seriously consider a request like this especially if the rabbit/s were felt to be more high risk.

If I were you I would certainly raise this with your friend as a possibility as something to talk with the vet about.
    You wouldn't forgive yourself if the unthinkable happened and you hadn't said anything.
    Thank you, MM. Yes, that is exactly what I thought.