Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Vaccinations

  1. #1
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,790

    Default Vaccinations

    So unfortunately my three aren't up to date( please don't have a go at me) it's been very tight with money and we had to save to get Honeys operation done which wasn't cheap. In an ideal world I would get all them all done. But I can only afford to get either their vhd1/ mxyo done or vhd2
    Which is best to get done at the moment?

  2. #2
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,790

    Default

    Also I'm hearing of vhd2 in vaccinated rabbits.. Is it therefore still worth that vaccination? I'm not wanting to start anything I just genuinely want all the facts to try and make a decision

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper Bunny Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    12,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucy24 View Post
    Also I'm hearing of vhd2 in vaccinated rabbits.. Is it therefore still worth that vaccination? I'm not wanting to start anything I just genuinely want all the facts to try and make a decision
    My friend just lost a vaccinated rabbit to VHD2, the other 18 at her home survived, if they hadn't been vaccinated God knows how many she would have lost. Yes, it is worth vaccinating. I would go for Filavac if I only had the funds for one.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucy24 View Post
    So unfortunately my three aren't up to date( please don't have a go at me) it's been very tight with money and we had to save to get Honeys operation done which wasn't cheap. In an ideal world I would get all them all done. But I can only afford to get either their vhd1/ mxyo done or vhd2
    Which is best to get done at the moment?

    Lucy, I have never had a go at anyone about anything

    I would definitely do the RHD2.
    I don't know whether your vet has Eravac or Filavac, but I would do it as a matter of high priority.

    Hope that helps.

    Feel free to contact me privately if I can help with any more info, if that feels more comfortable xx

  5. #5
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    136,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucy24 View Post
    So unfortunately my three aren't up to date( please don't have a go at me) it's been very tight with money and we had to save to get Honeys operation done which wasn't cheap. In an ideal world I would get all them all done. But I can only afford to get either their vhd1/ mxyo done or vhd2
    Which is best to get done at the moment?
    I'd get them vaccinated with Filavac which covers both RHD1 + RHD2. I'd also take extra precautions to minimise accessibility of blood sucking insects such as mozzies/fleas into the Rabbits environment. Myxomatosis is mostly transmitted by blood sucking insects.

    Use fly netting all over accommodation
    Regularly treat all of your Pets for fleas
    Remove any sources of standing water (which attracts mozzies)
    Use fly stips/ electronic fly zappers
    Citronella oil may be a mozzie deterrent

    If you live in a rural area were wild Rabbits may be present avoid feeding any wild forage from the area
    Take precautions to try to stop wildies accessing your garden

  6. #6
    Moderator Zoobec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    27,453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    My friend just lost a vaccinated rabbit to VHD2, the other 18 at her home survived, if they hadn't been vaccinated God knows how many she would have lost. Yes, it is worth vaccinating. I would go for Filavac if I only had the funds for one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    I'd get them vaccinated with Filavac which covers both RHD1 + RHD2. I'd also take extra precautions to minimise accessibility of blood sucking insects such as mozzies/fleas into the Rabbits environment. Myxomatosis is mostly transmitted by blood sucking insects.

    Use fly netting all over accommodation
    Regularly treat all of your Pets for fleas
    Remove any sources of standing water (which attracts mozzies)
    Use fly stips/ electronic fly zappers
    Citronella oil may be a mozzie deterrent

    If you live in a rural area were wild Rabbits may be present avoid feeding any wild forage from the area
    Take precautions to try to stop wildies accessing your garden
    I agree, I would go for Filivac as it covers for RHD1 & 2. Some great tips from Jane

    Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

  7. #7

    Default

    Perhaps your vets could help out. Almost like a payment plan. I know when I needed to pay for Monty's hydro, this was one of the options offered.

  8. #8
    Mama Doe roxyroller88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Newcastle-U-Lyme
    Posts
    2,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucy24 View Post
    Also I'm hearing of vhd2 in vaccinated rabbits.. Is it therefore still worth that vaccination? I'm not wanting to start anything I just genuinely want all the facts to try and make a decision
    It's 100% still worth it I've also heard of vaccinated rabbits contracting Myxi but these cases are few and far between. No vaccine is perfect but the only way to give our buns a chance against rhd2 is to vaccinate. I'd also go with RHD2 vaccination first because it's such a huge risk. Xxx
    I'm fundraising for Rabbit Rescue North West

    https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/rrnw

  9. #9
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucy24 View Post
    Also I'm hearing of vhd2 in vaccinated rabbits.. Is it therefore still worth that vaccination? I'm not wanting to start anything I just genuinely want all the facts to try and make a decision

    Lucy, you are right about vaccinated rabbits still getting RHD2, and on the sticky thread I've been sadly collecting all that info.

    However, it's all we have, and the Filavac has been demonstrated to be 90% protective. There will always be vaccine fails, in humans and in animals. Go for it without hesitation

  10. #10
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Marske by the sea, Redcar, NE coast.
    Posts
    9,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Lucy, I have never had a go at anyone about anything

    I would definitely do the RHD2.
    I don't know whether your vet has Eravac or Filavac, but I would do it as a matter of high priority.

    Hope that helps.

    Feel free to contact me privately if I can help with any more info, if that feels more comfortable xx
    Like what MM said first, I'd get them done with one of these as they both cover both strains.

    MM has been doing an awful lot to do with the second strain - no-one else on RU is - and posts quite an extensive list on the sticky to do with affected rabbits in and around the UK. There's also a page on FB if you're on that, I could find the link if you like?

    Don't beat yourself up about finances - we're all in the same boat and do what we think's right at the time .
    Last edited by Angie B; 10-11-2018 at 04:20 PM.

    My girls Coco and Thumper (respectively)

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •