• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinations

lucy24

Mama Doe
So unfortunately my three aren't up to date( please don't have a go at me) it's been very tight with money and we had to save to get Honeys operation done which wasn't cheap. In an ideal world I would get all them all done. But I can only afford to get either their vhd1/ mxyo done or vhd2
Which is best to get done at the moment?

Also I'm hearing of vhd2 in vaccinated rabbits.. Is it therefore still worth that vaccination? I'm not wanting to start anything I just genuinely want all the facts to try and make a decision

Also I'm hearing of vhd2 in vaccinated rabbits.. Is it therefore still worth that vaccination? I'm not wanting to start anything I just genuinely want all the facts to try and make a decision
My friend just lost a vaccinated rabbit to VHD2, the other 18 at her home survived, if they hadn't been vaccinated God knows how many she would have lost. Yes, it is worth vaccinating. I would go for Filavac if I only had the funds for one.

So unfortunately my three aren't up to date( please don't have a go at me) it's been very tight with money and we had to save to get Honeys operation done which wasn't cheap. In an ideal world I would get all them all done. But I can only afford to get either their vhd1/ mxyo done or vhd2

Lucy, I have never had a go at anyone about anything :)

I would definitely do the RHD2.
I don't know whether your vet has Eravac or Filavac, but I would do it as a matter of high priority.

Hope that helps.

Feel free to contact me privately if I can help with any more info, if that feels more comfortable xx

I'd get them vaccinated with Filavac which covers both RHD1 + RHD2. I'd also take extra precautions to minimise accessibility of blood sucking insects such as mozzies/fleas into the Rabbits environment. Myxomatosis is mostly transmitted by blood sucking insects.

Use fly netting all over accommodation
Regularly treat all of your Pets for fleas
Remove any sources of standing water (which attracts mozzies)
Use fly stips/ electronic fly zappers
Citronella oil may be a mozzie deterrent

If you live in a rural area were wild Rabbits may be present avoid feeding any wild forage from the area
Take precautions to try to stop wildies accessing your garden

My friend just lost a vaccinated rabbit to VHD2, the other 18 at her home survived, if they hadn't been vaccinated God knows how many she would have lost. Yes, it is worth vaccinating. I would go for Filavac if I only had the funds for one.

I'd get them vaccinated with Filavac which covers both RHD1 + RHD2. I'd also take extra precautions to minimise accessibility of blood sucking insects such as mozzies/fleas into the Rabbits environment. Myxomatosis is mostly transmitted by blood sucking insects.

Use fly netting all over accommodation
Regularly treat all of your Pets for fleas
Remove any sources of standing water (which attracts mozzies)
Use fly stips/ electronic fly zappers
Citronella oil may be a mozzie deterrent

If you live in a rural area were wild Rabbits may be present avoid feeding any wild forage from the area
Take precautions to try to stop wildies accessing your garden

I agree, I would go for Filivac as it covers for RHD1 & 2. Some great tips from Jane :thumb:

Perhaps your vets could help out. Almost like a payment plan. I know when I needed to pay for Monty's hydro, this was one of the options offered.

It's 100% still worth it :) I've also heard of vaccinated rabbits contracting Myxi but these cases are few and far between. No vaccine is perfect but the only way to give our buns a chance against rhd2 is to vaccinate. I'd also go with RHD2 vaccination first because it's such a huge risk. Xxx

Lucy, you are right about vaccinated rabbits still getting RHD2, and on the sticky thread I've been sadly collecting all that info.

However, it's all we have, and the Filavac has been demonstrated to be 90% protective. There will always be vaccine fails, in humans and in animals. Go for it without hesitation :)

Lucy, I have never had a go at anyone about anything :)

I would definitely do the RHD2.
I don't know whether your vet has Eravac or Filavac, but I would do it as a matter of high priority.

Hope that helps.

Feel free to contact me privately if I can help with any more info, if that feels more comfortable xx

Like what MM said first, I'd get them done with one of these as they both cover both strains.

MM has been doing an awful lot to do with the second strain - no-one else on RU is - and posts quite an extensive list on the sticky to do with affected rabbits in and around the UK. There's also a page on FB if you're on that, I could find the link if you like?

Don't beat yourself up about finances - we're all in the same boat and do what we think's right at the time :).

Last edited:
Like what MM said first, I'd get them done with one of these as they both cover both strains.

MM has been doing an awful lot to do with the second strain - no-one else on RU is - and posts quite an extensive list on the sticky to do with affected rabbits in and around the UK. There's also a page on FB if you're on that, I could find the link if you like?

Don't beat yourself up about finances - we're all in the same boat and do what we think's right at the time :).

No, they dont. Eravac only covers RHD2 https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/eravac-uk-datasheet-0.pdf

Filavac covers both RHD1 and RHD2 https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/filavac.doc

Hi Angie :wave:

Eravac only covers RHD2, but nevertheless I would still prioritise this above the Novibac/Myxo given all the cases that I have been reporting.

Thanks for reinforcing this message. It can't be repeated enough times!

Hi Angie :wave:

Eravac only covers RHD2, but nevertheless I would still prioritise this above the Novibac/Myxo given all the cases that I have been reporting.

Thanks for reinforcing this message. It can't be repeated enough times!

Yes, sorry, I misunderstood, I thought they both did both, but evidently not. Thank you for pointing out that Eravac only covers RHD2, MM.

It's only Filovac which does both, sorry, my mistake, I do apologise if I've misled you, Lucy.

Yes, sorry, I misunderstood, I thought they both did both, but evidently not. Thank you for pointing out that Eravac only covers RHD2, MM.

It's only Filovac which does both, sorry, my mistake, I do apologise if I've misled you, Lucy.

No worries.

It's so easy to get confused with the barrage of info regards vaccinations and indeed anything to do with rabbit health.
I am constantly checking and double checking to make sure I am right when I say something :)

Thanks everyone I will definitely get them done with the vhd2 one first then. I've found a place where I can get them at a reasonable price too.

Thanks everyone I will definitely get them done with the vhd2 one first then. I've found a place where I can get them at a reasonable price too.

Sounds good :)

I shopped around until I found a price I could afford for my motley crew :)

I'd make sure it's the FILAVAC, as already mentioned that will mean Bunnies are covered for both RHD1 + 2 x

I'd make sure it's the FILAVAC, as already mentioned that will mean Bunnies are covered for both RHD1 + 2 x

This. There didn't seem to be any cases of RHD1 being reported for a while but there have been in the last few months so the better choice of vaccine to cover both strains.

Back