• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eyedrops

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
Hello,

I’ve forgotten what kind of eye drops I can use on my buns - does anyone know which one is safe?

Thank you xx

Hello,

I’ve forgotten what kind of eye drops I can use on my buns - does anyone know which one is safe?

Thank you xx

Depends on what condition is being treated. There are eye drops/ointment for infection (POM) such as Isathal, Tiacil, Chloramphenicol

Then there are specific types of eye drops to treat conditions such as Glaucoma such as Azopt (POM)

There are eye lubricants (preservative free ones are preferable- some Rabbits can have a reaction to the preservatives used in some preparations) such as Viscotears, Celluvisc, or Liquifilm tears SDU- all preservative free.

I don’t know that there is a problem - Teddy has red eyes and I imagine his eyes are more sensitive (imagine is the magic word, as the Vet hasn’t said this).

Every so often he gets little crusts in the corner of his eyes, and whereas a bonded bunny would lick this clean, he’s single. He quite happily let’s me wipe it off, and he’ll lie down and relax if I hold a couple of cooled down tea bags over his eyes.

He’s had his teeth checked (last Monday was his last Vet visit) and they’re fine.

I had bought some eye drops before and thought I had some left but turned out I was all out. I was going to give him some.

Now, I don’t think the eye drops were for medical purposes, just comfort. I remember it being a dark green box but can’t remember what it was called or where I bought it. I know I read about it on RU, and he seemed to like it. He’d let me put a drop on (single use twisty little things) and gently massage it in. It might have been an eye lubricant rather than eyedrops...

I don’t know that there is a problem - Teddy has red eyes and I imagine his eyes are more sensitive (imagine is the magic word, as the Vet hasn’t said this).

Every so often he gets little crusts in the corner of his eyes, and whereas a bonded bunny would lick this clean, he’s single. He quite happily let’s me wipe it off, and he’ll lie down and relax if I hold a couple of cooled down tea bags over his eyes.

He’s had his teeth checked (last Monday was his last Vet visit) and they’re fine.

I had bought some eye drops before and thought I had some left but turned out I was all out. I was going to give him some.

Now, I don’t think the eye drops were for medical purposes, just comfort. I remember it being a dark green box but can’t remember what it was called or where I bought it. I know I read about it on RU, and he seemed to like it. He’d let me put a drop on (single use twisty little things) and gently massage it in. It might have been an eye lubricant rather than eyedrops...

Personally I would not administer anything into the eyes without the specific say so of a Rabbit Savvy Vet. Infection may or may not be present, the Vet would also need to check for any corneal abrasions.

Re his teeth, just looking at the crowns of the teeth cannot exclude the possibility of the gunky eyes being dental related. Skull radiographs are needed to assess the tooth roots. If the tooth roots are elongated they can press on the nasolacrimal ducts causing gunky eyes.

Does his eye problem seem worse during a moult ? Sometimes a Rabbit's eyes can become very irritated by fur getting in to them.

Celluvisc comes in a green box, maybe it was this that you used last time ?

https://www.pharmacyfirst.co.uk/celluvisc-dry-eye-preparation-1-04ml-pack-of-30-celh107.html

I would get a vet to look at the eyes as it's impossible to know what's going on and too risky to leave it.

Crusts in the eyes may be indicative of a bacterial infection, but it also may be an ongoing blocked tear duct which is very hard to resolve. Flushing the tear duct is an option, but some vets require sedation to do this procedure. Sometimes it clears the problem right up and sometimes it's an ongoing management.

I'm glad his teeth are fine :) It's impossible to know however what the roots are doing, and of course there's no real solution to that either. Just have to keep the tear ducts clean by daily wiping with a cotton pad and cooled boiled water.

We’ve just been to the Vet and my li’l Bun has mild conjunctivitis :( He’s been given antibiotic eyedrops.

I also bought a pet remedy diffuser so I hope that’ll make s difference.

Thanxx for your help, lovely people! :)

We’ve just been to the Vet and my li’l Bun has mild conjunctivitis :( He’s been given antibiotic eyedrops.

I also bought a pet remedy diffuser so I hope that’ll make s difference.

Thanxx for your help, lovely people! :)

Welcome :wave:

Glad you have him sorted :)

Back