Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fresh Foods

Quote Originally Posted by loobers25 View Post
    Thanks everybun, just reading through now. Does anyone feed prewashed ready to eat foods?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    Yes but I do run them under the tap first.

Mama Doe

Thanks everybun, just reading through now. Does anyone feed prewashed ready to eat foods?

Only if desperate and they are down to 10p . I don't generally like bagged cut / chopped greens as they don't keep. They always get rinsed before use. I tend to use them more for the guinea pigs in winter as a bit of variety - but only if they are well marked down in price.

I have asked the farm shop for a crate or two off cabbage etc offcuts before. They usually feed them back to the animals, but have been happy for me to take the odd batch if they have been left in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    We haven't got to the stage here where we need to supplement items of fresh food and I try to put this off as long as possible during the Winter months. I can still collect enough each day for them, although now there is a large proportion of leaves in the mix. Our apple trees still have lots of leaves on, so they will last for a few more weeks. We've still got Alder and Ash with falling leaves. There is also still loads of Red Dead-nettle, Dandelion and a small amount of Cow Parsley.

So probably in a month or so's time I will supplement by buying fresh picked herbs. I also shop in Asda and their picked herbs (1 per bunch) are usually very fresh. They have Parsley, Coriander, Dill and Mint and I usually get whatever looks the best. We have also got Kale growing in the garden, so they get some of that most days. I've never found it affects their tummies, but other rabbits may be different. You might find that Dennis is more used to fresh food now and so he's OK with it.

You have also probably got quite a lot of dried forage and so I would feed a proportion of that. Mine have always turned their noses up at anything dried. My two will also get more tree sticks to nibble during the Winter.

Then before you can say "Jack Rabbit", there will be lots of fresh forage available outside again
    Would you feed fresh herbs daily? How much fresh food do you give per day?

Bam & Charlie

I like to read what everybun has fresh daily, feel free to inspire me

It was so much easier in the summer, I had strawberry leafs and lots of noms. Will be very organised next year

Bam & Charlie

Wise Old Thumper

Would you feed fresh herbs daily? How much fresh food do you give per day?

I don't have any problem in feeding fresh herbs daily, although I would probably not feed the same herb day after day if there was an easy alternative. My rabbits tend to have what's "in season", much like us really Really the only time that I could say that herbs are fed every day would be either in the summer, when we have loads in the garden, or in the very depths of winter when I have to supplement with cut herbs from Asda. Then they will certainly have herbs every day. They don't have many at the moment.

Currently, as I said, the rabbits get loads of fallen leaves. There are so many lying on the ground now and it's easy to distinguish between recently fallen, the old and manky ones and those spoiled with bird droppings. I think they are a very good food and the rabbits love them.

So, first thing in the morning they will have a very large amount of leaves. I collect them, laying one on top of the other in my hand, and they get as many as I can hold in one hand. I would imagine that the number is around 100, but I've never counted They eat most if not all of these in one go. Not long after that the OH will give them a few leaves of Kale, which they also will finish. Then they go and eat hay They sleep after this until early afternoon. Mid to late afternoon I will collect a large bunch of forage, currently Cow Parsley, Dandelion, Red Dead-nettle, Sow Thistle, Common Mallow, Bristly Ox-tongue and sometimes Bramble. They occasionally around this time also get Geranium, Rose, Hop and Origano. Come our dinner time they will often get a few Kale stalks
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

I don't have any problem in feeding fresh herbs daily, although I would probably not feed the same herb day after day if there was an easy alternative. My rabbits tend to have what's "in season", much like us really Really the only time that I could say that herbs are fed every day would be either in the summer, when we have loads in the garden, or in the very depths of winter when I have to supplement with cut herbs from Asda. Then they will certainly have herbs every day. They don't have many at the moment.

Currently, as I said, the rabbits get loads of fallen leaves. There are so many lying on the ground now and it's easy to distinguish between recently fallen, the old and manky ones and those spoiled with bird droppings. I think they are a very good food and the rabbits love them.

So, first thing in the morning they will have a very large amount of leaves. I collect them, laying one on top of the other in my hand, and they get as many as I can hold in one hand. I would imagine that the number is around 100, but I've never counted They eat most if not all of these in one go. Not long after that the OH will give them a few leaves of Kale, which they also will finish. Then they go and eat hay They sleep after this until early afternoon. Mid to late afternoon I will collect a large bunch of forage, currently Cow Parsley, Dandelion, Red Dead-nettle, Sow Thistle, Common Mallow, Bristly Ox-tongue and sometimes Bramble. They occasionally around this time also get Geranium, Rose, Hop and Origano. Come our dinner time they will often get a few Kale stalks
    Do you know exactly what leaves you're feeding? From the fallen ones? I'm guessing so I think that's amazing I'd have no hope... I'm always removing leaves worrying they're toxic and having no clue what they are

Sent via carrier pigeon

Mama Doe

Mine are eating the fallen lilac leaves at the moment. Buddleia is also OK.

Celery is another option during winter if yours can't tolerate cabbage. I try to get the leafiest ones rather than the ones cut for us. The leaves are also quite good for a rabbit that isn't eating well.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    Do you know exactly what leaves you're feeding? From the fallen ones? I'm guessing so I think that's amazing I'd have no hope... I'm always removing leaves worrying they're toxic and having no clue what they are

Sent via carrier pigeon
    Haha, yes, but it's not quite so amazing when you know that the leaves are in my garden, so I know what the trees are Get to know what the trees are and compare fallen leaves with ones still on the tree.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    Mine are eating the fallen lilac leaves at the moment. Buddleia is also OK.

Celery is another option during winter if yours can't tolerate cabbage. I try to get the leafiest ones rather than the ones cut for us. The leaves are also quite good for a rabbit that isn't eating well.
    Yes, mine sometimes get celery as well.

Haha, yes, but it's not quite so amazing when you know that the leaves are in my garden, so I know what the trees are Get to know what the trees are and compare fallen leaves with ones still on the tree.
    Still! I'd never be able to do that and also other leaves blowing in etc I'd be in a right muddle

Sent via carrier pigeon