Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post-spay help badly needed!

Warren Veteran

Good, then she shouldn't be in pain with it, it's probably just itching a bit which is only natural.

I'd just keep your eye on her and providing she's not actually trying to pull the stitches out and the wound doesn't become red/inflamed/swollen/pussy then leave it. Try and distract her with your company as much as you can, or toys, or food, but of course don't let her jump or climb for about 2 weeks so she doesn't over-stretch her tummy area (this includes going up/down any ladders she has if she has a 2-storey hutch, going up/down any stairs at all). Ours stayed indoors for a fortnight (they're outdoor bunnies) which was a right royal pain in the butt, but it was worth it as they healed beautifully.

It sounds like all is going well though, from what you have said, which is great!

My girls Coco and Thumper (respectively)

There's some redness at the moment - OH said it looked like when we rub/scratch our skin a bit - but nothing else, and the glue has absorbed. She has jumped a few times unfortunately but we're trying to keep it to a minimum. She's in a small pen at the moment, and unfortunately did today jump onto the bars at the side when food/medicine is coming towards her (usual thing she tends to do, gets very excited), and she's hopped away from us a couple of times when we've been checking her wound. She's very good at getting into mischief and the medicine seems to have worked enough that she's very much herself, which isn't brilliant in this situation but difficult to change. She's also doing a full stretch when she wakes up which was a surprise. I'm guessing (and hoping) that she wouldn't do it if it hurt.
    Last edited by Annie_90; 09-11-2018 at 12:05 AM.

Wise Old Thumper

Does she have her 2-day check today?

Hi Tonibun, no, she has one next week as requested by the vet. Unless you mean us checking her over which we do once a day.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Annie_90 View Post
    Hi Tonibun, no, she has one next week as requested by the vet. Unless you mean us checking her over which we do once a day.
    My Vets do a 2-day check, then a 10-day one to remove any stitches which might still be in!

Warren Veteran

I don't recall taking ours back to the vet at all, but we're talking 6 years ago so memory may not be serving too well .

Annie-90 said the glue had been absorbed, so maybe there aren't any external stitches?

Providing there is a post-op check (as in the one next week) and no problems prior which require the vet, I'm sure all will be well .

My girls Coco and Thumper (respectively)

That's right, no external stitches - there are some but they're inside, with the glue having been on the external area.

She's doing well. Just had her last dose of metacam and the wound is now a small red line. The metacam has maybe worked too well - more throwing herself around the place yesterday though it doesn't seem to have hurt her.

When should I start letting her out for more space? And I'm assuming I start with an indoor area until we've had the check up?

Wise Old Thumper

It's only been 4 days since she was spayed - another few days of caution wouldn't be a bad thing. I am very pleased her wound looks good.