• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scabby section on the middle of the back

SamTheBunny

Young Bun
While I was feeding my rabbits this morning, I noticed that Bear had a scabby patch on his back. The fur just came out with dried skin on the end but he didn’t seem to bothered by it. I was just wondering if anyone had any idea what it is? I was thinking it might be some sort of skin infection possibly but this isn’t something I have any experience with. Would it be worth taking him to the vets? Thank you in advance :)

How big is it? If it is small, and he lives with another rabbit, it sounds like a healed bite wound. I would give them a thorough check over and feel through all their fur for other lumps and scabs. When humping, rabbits will sometimes bite the upper back/neck of the other rabbit to hold on. These injuries are often caused by unneutered rabbits, but neutered ones can have dominance issues in their bond too.

If it is a large patch, I’d recommend getting it checked out by a vet in case it is a parasite issue.

While I was feeding my rabbits this morning, I noticed that Bear had a scabby patch on his back. The fur just came out with dried skin on the end but he didn’t seem to bothered by it. I was just wondering if anyone had any idea what it is? I was thinking it might be some sort of skin infection possibly but this isn’t something I have any experience with. Would it be worth taking him to the vets? Thank you in advance :)

Hiya Sam

Unlikely to be a skin infection. As other have said, it could be mites:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

But since you mention it's on his back, it could be a small reaction to a vaccination, or an injection of antibiotic or painkiller if he's had any of those within the last three weeks? Is it sore in any other way, or dandruffy and white flakes?

It isn’t massive, a little larger than 1cm across and slightly egg shaped. He does have a housemate and they but they are both neutered and don’t ever really fight, however I will check. He had his spurs filed down on the 18th of October (he has a chronic tooth problem so he hasn’t it done every 2 months or so) but that seems a little too long ago and he has never had a reaction with previous injections for this. His last vaccination was in late May so I don’t imagine that’s the problem. The scab is a little bit pink but I don’t know if that’s because of the fur that I accidentally pulled on because I thought it was just loose fur from his most recent shedding. I will try and attach a picture of it, but I can’t figure out how to do it on my phone! Thank you for all of the help so far :)

From reading the link about mites, I think that is probably the most likely cause so I’m going to book him into the vets just encase :) but let me know if you have any other ideas

I took Bear in this evening for the vet to check him over. He said that it was probably caused by a metacam injection he has when his teeth were last done so it’s nothing to worry about. However, he did say that if it grew and became more scabby then it is probably mites and to bring him in again. Thank you to everyone for all of your help :)

I took Bear in this evening for the vet to check him over. He said that it was probably caused by a metacam injection he has when his teeth were last done so it’s nothing to worry about. However, he did say that if it grew and became more scabby then it is probably mites and to bring him in again. Thank you to everyone for all of your help :)

Ah I wondered if it was a painkiller or something like that. Should heal up fine then :)

Hope you don't have to go back with mites and that Bear gets on OK

Back