• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Interesting info re Eravac/ RHD2

MightyMax

Banned
There's some good info here for anyone who wants to know more about Eravac, and whether they should change from Filavac.
Some vets have begun stocking only Eravac so worth knowing.

https://www.hipra.com/portal/en/hip...sease-rhd-2/rabbit-haemorrhagic-disease-rhd-2

TRANSMISSION:

Direct: secretions and excretions.
Indirect: fomites and vectors.

CLINICAL SIGNS:

Variable mortality (between 5% and 70%). The course of the disease is a very acute, and a subclinical or chronic evolution of the disease is frequently observed. Symptoms are non-specific, such as anorexia, apathy, nervous and respiratory symptoms. It affects adult and young rabbits.

Extracts from the data info:

The data suggests that Eravac provides almost complete (95–100%) clinical protection.
Although the challenge at 12 mpv could not be carried out due to ethical and welfare reasons, all vaccinated animals at that time point were seropositive.

This is all good news for those wishing to change to Eravac, or where the vet has decided to stock it :)

RE-posting what Grace just put on the RHD2 thread:

Helpful Info regarding Eravac, post found on RHD2 facebook group posted by Ralph Parsons

Eravac Information from manufacturer - injection site and immunity;
I submitted 2 questions to HIPRA the manufacturer of Eravac;

1. Why does Eravac have to be given into the lateral wall of a rabbit?
2. I keep reading that Eravac has proven immunity at 12 months. Is there any data that proves immunity at 12 months by challenge? I have read the CVMP assessment report for type II variation for ERAVAC (EMEA/V /C/0O4239/IT/0003/G) report so am familiar with the restrictions to dwarf and pregnant rabbits and that a challenge was only at 9 months.

Their response is below;
1. This is because the first trials we sent to the EMA for its registration were performed this way, but the following trials the vaccination was administered subcutaneously between the two scapula and the results were also good.

2. We only have challenge data until 9 months. At 12 months after vaccination for welfare reasons we did not challenge the animals but we did serological analysis. High antibody levels persisted for at least 12 months, but those animals were not challenged. You can see our trial on our website:

https://www.hipra.com/portal/en/hip...P_LAZZunFP2YMOVg!/dz/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

Eravac research papers can be accessed from the Hipra web site via their knowledge web page and the lady who responded to my questions (Michelle Woodward) said "As soon as we have the results for the current studies we are performing they will also be published here." so I guess they are doing more studies https://www.hipra.com/portal/en/hipra/knowledge

I'm very grateful for the vaccine and it's saving way more rabbits than it's harmed, but the 'welfare reasons' bit confuses me. They were fine to test on these animals until 12 months then they suddenly decided it wasn't ethical? I just find the reasoning a bit odd

I'm very grateful for the vaccine and it's saving way more rabbits than it's harmed, but the 'welfare reasons' bit confuses me. They were fine to test on these animals until 12 months then they suddenly decided it wasn't ethical? I just find the reasoning a bit odd

I agree it does sound a bit odd.
I don't know what their reasoning was ...Possibly I would wish not to know.

Back