• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gassy bunny time to recover

I have been thinking more about this and my gut feeling would be to delay the bonding. I think you need everything to be as optimal as possible for their next bonding attempt and this doesn't seem to be quite that.

If it were me I would delay even if that means waiting until after Christmas. I would consider the risk of another possible failed bonding too great, which might have an impact on their long term chances of living together.

Sending vibes whatever you choose.

Morning Omi :)

Last night after a lot of talking, debating and I won’t lie, tears, we came to the same thoughts as you have too.

I said last night my gut feeling is it’s not right yet, he’s not 100% eating yet and just needs a few more days so I need to give him that and let go of “time” and being “so close” in regards to bonding.

Exactly as you say it needs to be right so it’s the best shot for both of them. Friday I caught Truffle being allowed to lick Luther’s face through the bars, yesterday Luther is nipping him again and I’m guessing it’s because the meds make him smell funny (I make a mess because emeprid tastes rank and Truffle fights me).

So I’m going to call at 9am like I have before and wait until someone gets in sees the missed call and gets back to me. I hope they understand and aren’t too annoyed st such short notice.

Thank you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I agree, if this isn't his normal I wouldn't, also because bonding is stressful anyway and I'd want both buns healthy before attempting that again.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Thank you.
It’s been a long hard night making the decision. But we have realised I’m ignoring my gut so I’m going to ring up this morning and ask for the next available slot whenever that is.
Hopefully they understand.

Morning Omi :)

Last night after a lot of talking, debating and I won’t lie, tears, we came to the same thoughts as you have too.

I said last night my gut feeling is it’s not right yet, he’s not 100% eating yet and just needs a few more days so I need to give him that and let go of “time” and being “so close” in regards to bonding.

Exactly as you say it needs to be right so it’s the best shot for both of them. Friday I caught Truffle being allowed to lick Luther’s face through the bars, yesterday Luther is nipping him again and I’m guessing it’s because the meds make him smell funny (I make a mess because emeprid tastes rank and Truffle fights me).

So I’m going to call at 9am like I have before and wait until someone gets in sees the missed call and gets back to me. I hope they understand and aren’t too annoyed st such short notice.

I know it’s hard but I think that you are making the right decision. I’m sure they won’t be annoyed with you, rabbits can fall ill without any warning and they should know that. There’s so many rabbits on here at the moment with stasis for no apparent reason, could be fireworks or environmental, autumn always seems a bad time of year for them being ill.

I hope he’s better soon, topping up the vibes xx

I know it’s hard but I think that you are making the right decision. I’m sure they won’t be annoyed with you, rabbits can fall ill without any warning and they should know that. There’s so many rabbits on here at the moment with stasis for no apparent reason, could be fireworks or environmental, autumn always seems a bad time of year for them being ill.

I hope he’s better soon, topping up the vibes xx

It makes it so much harder when we were feeling so positive Friday and it was just looking like it was going to go well this time, then Sunday happened. I’m also very tired and exhausted from it all, the lack of sleep from them waking me up 3am and I’m the morning nearly every day, worrying about how the bond might go and now I was worrying about him being ill, so Was looking forward to the next step.

But I think if we did it today it would just be rushing it for the sake of wanting the bond and that’s not right either.

And I’m worried if he’s not 100% if it was the fireworks, more stress could make him have full on stasis or something.
In the long run I think no matter how sad, it’s the right thing too.

Thank you, he seems pretty bouncy today from what I’ve seen on camera. Vet said I can start weaning him off meds now if he’s eating and pooping xx

I can't say that you have definitely made the right decision, but it's certainly the decision that I would have made. Bonding, as you know :)lol:), is not an exact science and we can only do our best to ensure that everything goes well.

I also think that if you had gone ahead and it had failed, you would almost certainly have been beating yourself up about the decision.

Hopefully you won't have to wait too long and I'm sure that they will understand the situation.

I can't say that you have definitely made the right decision, but it's certainly the decision that I would have made. Bonding, as you know :)lol:), is not an exact science and we can only do our best to ensure that everything goes well.

I also think that if you had gone ahead and it had failed, you would almost certainly have been beating yourself up about the decision.

Hopefully you won't have to wait too long and I'm sure that they will understand the situation.

No your totally right. I feel if I know he’s not 100% and Luther isn’t sure about him now while he smells like meds, I’m just setting them up to fail when they’ve done so well up till Sunday.

Yeah exactly! Or if he did go into stasis because it’s too much too soon it would kill me knowing it was my fault.

Thanks again [emoji4] x

So I got through to the bonders. I explained how well it was going until Sunday, and cut the long story short.

He was totally ok about it and really nice, I think he can easily understand that I don’t want to leave an iffy bunny with them till he’s 100%

So they are booked two weeks on Wednesday (21st) so hopefully no more drama before then!
Truffle is doing well, fought me at morning meds time so that’s good although I got him a tad messy. He’s eating herbs still and poops look pretty normal so I think he’s over the worst just need to sort his eating out.
I’m going to only give emaprid tomorrow no metacam as I do t think he’s in pain now and the vets said it’s a good idea to wean him off rather than just stop.

Thank you all for your thoughts, help and advice I really appreciate it and even if it’s not always what I hope to hear it’s always welcome xx

f5a5a29f2e4c010c9f0475e1b31c9c84.jpg

34c41366a4591042735bb79f7ada5d09.jpg

f9b63c3f7633a6a7d5041627555eb1a6.jpg

Oh no I’m sorry to hear that Truffle has been poorly [emoji17] Bunnies proving yet again they’re masters of dreadful timing!

Sending lots of vibes that he’s fully fit again soon. x

So I got through to the bonders. I explained how well it was going until Sunday, and cut the long story short.

He was totally ok about it and really nice, I think he can easily understand that I don’t want to leave an iffy bunny with them till he’s 100%

So they are booked two weeks on Wednesday (21st) so hopefully no more drama before then!
Truffle is doing well, fought me at morning meds time so that’s good although I got him a tad messy. He’s eating herbs still and poops look pretty normal so I think he’s over the worst just need to sort his eating out.
I’m going to only give emaprid tomorrow no metacam as I do t think he’s in pain now and the vets said it’s a good idea to wean him off rather than just stop.

Thank you all for your thoughts, help and advice I really appreciate it and even if it’s not always what I hope to hear it’s always welcome xx

f5a5a29f2e4c010c9f0475e1b31c9c84.jpg

34c41366a4591042735bb79f7ada5d09.jpg

f9b63c3f7633a6a7d5041627555eb1a6.jpg

Trufftruff stop worrying your Mama!!

I am so glad you have another chance in a couple of weeks.
I was afraid you might have to wait until the New Year!! xx

Oh no I’m sorry to hear that Truffle has been poorly [emoji17] Bunnies proving yet again they’re masters of dreadful timing!

Sending lots of vibes that he’s fully fit again soon. x

Thank you, it’s always him! Maybe it’s because he’s not a jumble bun like Luther who knows.

I know right! His timing is shocking, I swear the animals take it in turns lol.
Aww thank you x

I'm glad Truffle is on the mend & you got the bonders rescheduled. He's such a handsome boy

Thank you me too! He’s still scaring me when he’s asleep and twitchy lol but I think he’s past the worst.

Aww thank you, he’ll really appreciate that :)

Trufftruff stop worrying your Mama!!

I am so glad you have another chance in a couple of weeks.
I was afraid you might have to wait until the New Year!! xx

I know right! Not the first time the last few months either! Lol.

Me too, we said if that’s what happens then it’s better than having them fall out badly because we rushed it.....but luckily there was a space sooner :) xx

Back