• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not keen on hay

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
Hello Lovely People

I’m a bit worried about my Teddy Bun, but I could be over-reacting so your input would be greatly appreciated.

He’s gone off hay in the last couple of days, which isn’t good. He’s a rescue and when we got him, we suspected straight away that previous owners hadn’t fed him hay (we couldn’t ask as the original owner had moved out and left him running amok in a houseshare).

So, he’s never been a big fan of it, but the last couple of days we haven’t really seen him eat any at all. He eats pellets and greens and he toilets, so that’s ok, and he’s not hiding. He’s not grinding he’s teeth and he comes running for treats.

It could be that Halloween and fireworks have gotten to him maybe? We mix several types of hay so it shouldn’t be that it’s “samey”.

What do you think? Worry or leave it another couple of days?

Thanxx

He might need a dental, Frosty bunny went off his hay when he needed a dental. I’d get him booked in to have a check up. Will he eat readigrass etc?

Ah. Thank you. Maybe my boy needs to see the dreaded vet x

Hopefully it will be nothing serious but I think it’s best for him to be checked out. How is he seeming in himself? My bunny is only little (1.25kg at his normal weight) so he dropped body condition quite quickly. Thankfully he put on the weight just as quickly post op but I did need to give him supplentary feeds of recovery food (one syringe feed) and after that in a saucer mixed with banana to keep his guts going before the op. At the first appointment he was given painkillers and gut meds and then I fed him up overnight before his op the next day.

Hopefully it will be nothing serious but I think it’s best for him to be checked out. How is he seeming in himself? My bunny is only little (1.25kg at his normal weight) so he dropped body condition quite quickly. Thankfully he put on the weight just as quickly post op but I did need to give him supplentary feeds of recovery food (one syringe feed) and after that in a saucer mixed with banana to keep his guts going before the op. At the first appointment he was given painkillers and gut meds and then I fed him up overnight before his op the next day.

He’s a bit quieter than usual, which usually happens when we put the heating on and around Halloween time (he likes peace & quiet) so that’s not unusual. He’s playing with his soft toys and comes running for snuggles or treats. When the heating comes on, he’ll position himself in a prime position for warmth, but also if we open the back door, he hops out. Bit quieter, but normal behaviour for him. Just eating less hay.

What does his poo look like?
Normal size? Colour?

Will he eat fresh grass?
Dandellions?

Has your batch of hay changed?
How many types of hay have you tried? Always worth trying a few extra types, maybe get some of the expensive stuff that has rose petals or dandellions mixed in with the hay.

What does his poo look like?
Normal size? Colour?

Will he eat fresh grass?
Dandellions?

Has your batch of hay changed?
How many types of hay have you tried? Always worth trying a few extra types, maybe get some of the expensive stuff that has rose petals or dandellions mixed in with the hay.

Last night there were good size and colour, this morning we’ve had mainly good sizes but a couple of smaller and slightly sticky.

We don’t have a garden and I don’t want to give him grass from the park as people walk their dogs around here.

Hay - we have about 4 or 5 different types mixed into big tubs (including with dried roses and herbs). It’ll be Timothy, oat hay, alfalfa hay and and something I’ve forgotten the name of (we get all hay from Hay Experts). On top of that we use “sprinkles” (a bag with dried herbs and flowers and stuff from P@H - maybe Sience Selective brand?), and on top of that we sprinkle dried beetroot, dried apple and foraging mix. He’s eating the sprinkles and dried stuff, just not wanting hay (the other buns dig into the hay so I know there’s nothing wrong with it).

We’re on our way to the vets now, and I’m going to buy FibrePlex whilst I’m there xx

On our way back home. Vet is happy with his teeth and overall health. He’s been given Emeprid and FibrePlex and hopefully that should be enough to get him munching again :)

I’m glad he’s been given a clean bill of health, hopefully he will start eating once the Emeprid takes effect :thumb:

Back