• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thor's not himself - U/D 6/10 He didn't make it (Some upsetting content)

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Thor had left some of last nights pellets, which he never does and only ate a few of today's before stopping and moving away.

I decided to tempt him with some raspberries and broccoli which again he tucked into quite enthusiastically before moving away again.

I thought maybe one side of his face was sort of pulling in at the side near his mouth occasionally, but I can't be sure.

My instincts tell me it's his teeth. What do you think?

He had his Rhd2 Jab earlier this week, but they didn't check his teeth.

Could he be upset by some fireworks nearby last night?

Thanks in advance x

Last edited:
He could be upset by the fireworks, but also it could be dental or other issue, is he eating his hay and other stuff? When mine have needed dentals I’ve noticed hay eating dropping off first. I’d take him to the vets to get him checked over if he was my bunny.

I'm sorry to read this. It could be the fireworks, but I think you would know whether he would be upset by such things. I have never had a rabbit, which has had a problem with fireworks. Has he had dental problems before?

I think one of the the issues really is how much has he eaten and is it enough? If not, then I think you will need to get him checked by a vet today to make sure that there is no blockage and that you therefore could syringe feed. If he has eaten enough and is not appearing unwell in himself, then perhaps I would observe him very closely and try to tempt him with food. My feeling is though that I would want a vet to have a look at him if I was concerned about him, which it sounds as though you are.

Sending him lots of vibes.

Hi all,

Thor had left some of last nights pellets, which he never does and only ate a few of today's before stopping and moving away.

I decided to tempt him with some raspberries and broccoli which again he tucked into quite enthusiastically before moving away again.

I thought maybe one side of his face was sort of pulling in at the side near his mouth occasionally, but I can't be sure.

My instincts tell me it's his teeth. What do you think?

He had his Rhd2 Jab earlier this week, but they didn't check his teeth.

Could he be upset by some fireworks nearby last night?

Thanks in advance x

Oh I'm sorry to hear this!

I would try and tempt him with herbs, fresh picked grass, rose leaves or something he loves.

Pulling of the face can indicate a couple of things, and yes one might be dental .. has he eaten any hay at all?

Has he passed any poos? Very important to know ..

Do you think he might be off colour because of the RHD2 jab?

Oh I'm sorry to hear this!

I would try and tempt him with herbs, fresh picked grass, rose leaves or something he loves.

Pulling of the face can indicate a couple of things, and yes one might be dental .. has he eaten any hay at all?

Has he passed any poos? Very important to know ..

Do you think he might be off colour because of the RHD2 jab?
Mine both had their rhd2 jab on Thursday and they still aren't eating as much as normal. They did the same started enthusiastically and then stopped eating part way through. They were also very sleepy.

When did Thor have his jab?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies.

Thor had his jab on Wednesday, Mervinius! I wonder if it's a possibility, although he's appeared fine until today. Thor's always very 'sleepy', it's just his general demeanour, so it's hard to say.

If it's his teeth, would he be affected more gradually? He seemed absolutely fine yesterday.

He's eaten all the things I've been tempting him with (naughty carrots and apple etc) but avoiding the pellets. Hay eating seems less and less poos.

I'm going to check him again in a while and I'll be calling the vet first thing if he's still the same. Had I not been able to get anything into him, then I would have taken him today.

Such a worry x

Thor had his jab on Wednesday, Mervinius! I wonder if it's a possibility, although he's appeared fine until today. Thor's always very 'sleepy', it's just his general demeanour, so it's hard to say.

If it's his teeth, would he be affected more gradually? He seemed absolutely fine yesterday.

He's eaten all the things I've been tempting him with (naughty carrots and apple etc) but avoiding the pellets. Hay eating seems less and less poos.

I'm going to check him again in a while and I'll be calling the vet first thing if he's still the same. Had I not been able to get anything into him, then I would have taken him today.

Such a worry x

I'm glad you've managed to get some food into him. I think with teeth it can sometimes get to a "tipping point", so that what didn't hurt enough to stop a rabbit eating on one day can suddenly become bad enough to cause the mouth to hurt too much for the rabbit to want to eat.

I would have thought if it was an effect of the vaccination, then the problem would have started earlier than today, but it's worth considering.

Hopefully, you'll be able to get an early appointment tomorrow so that your vet can establish what the issue is. Sending him more vibes.

Such a worry x

I'm glad you've managed to get some food into him. That's really good.

Teeth can suddenly get to a point where they cause pain whereas they didn't before, but with most vets it's not easy to see the back teeth whilst a rabbit is conscious, with an otoscope.

At least he is eating, and pooing, so not a dire emergency.

I really hope you get some clarity on what's going on tomorrow morning and whether you need the vet.

Peaceful night vibes to you all xx

Thanks for the replies.

Having checked him first thing and he still hadn't eaten last nights food, I called the vets as soon as they opened.

He had pooed over night, but they were stuck under him, they weren't sticky ones though, it was just that he'd stayed sitting in them.

The vet said his guts were sluggish, but didn't suspect bloat or a blockage and his teeth are ok. He's got Loxicom, Cisapride and Emeprid (the usual, I think) and critical care. He's had a little of the critical care, but I swear he was falling asleep!

I popped him back in the shed, with some veggies, hay and the leftover critical care and he went straight for the kale, so he's trying. Also he did nibble some of the hay in his carrier.

If he's no better in the morning, I'm to take him back in x

Fingers crossed that he starts eating more once the meds kick in, topping up the vibes xx

Thanks for the replies.

Having checked him first thing and he still hadn't eaten last nights food, I called the vets as soon as they opened.

He had pooed over night, but they were stuck under him, they weren't sticky ones though, it was just that he'd stayed sitting in them.

The vet said his guts were sluggish, but didn't suspect bloat or a blockage and his teeth are ok. He's got Loxicom, Cisapride and Emeprid (the usual, I think) and critical care. He's had a little of the critical care, but I swear he was falling asleep!

I popped him back in the shed, with some veggies, hay and the leftover critical care and he went straight for the kale, so he's trying. Also he did nibble some of the hay in his carrier.

Some fluid therapy may be of benefit. When a Bunny is in gut stasis the contents of the GI tract rapidly dehydrate and thus it becomes less likely to break down and pass through. My Vet agrees to me always giving SQ fluids as soon as an episode of gut stasis starts. Maybe you could mention this to your Vet ?

It is included in the information in this link, see page 4 :

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Thanks for the replies.

Topping up the vibes xx

Thanks everyone.

He's much the same this evening, sadly. I don't think he's touched the hay or even the water, but he has tried some kale and rocket. No poos at all since we got back :(.

I tried syringing him some more critical care, but it didn't go too well. He must of had some, but it seemed like he was just holding it in his mouth, but not swallowing.

The vet did mention fluids, JJ, but only if he's no better in the morning :?

They also mentioned about possibly bringing him in for the night, which we can do, but I don't want to unsettle him, idk.

The thing with Thor is he's a strange bunny anyway, he's so laid back and sleepy at the best of times! x

Thanks everyone.

He's much the same this evening, sadly. I don't think he's touched the hay or even the water, but he has tried some kale and rocket. No poos at all since we got back :(.

I tried syringing him some more critical care, but it didn't go too well. He must of had some, but it seemed like he was just holding it in his mouth, but not swallowing.

They also mentioned about possibly bringing him in for the night, which we can do, but I don't want to unsettle him, idk.

The thing with Thor is he's a strange bunny anyway, he's so laid back and sleepy at the best of times! x

I would be minded to bring him in tonight. Not only so you can monitor him more closely but also he may struggle to maintain his body temprature if he's poorly. Plus if there are loud fireworks going off the stress from all the noise will exacerbate things.

If it will not stress him out too much I would try to get some oral fluids into him. 10-20ml/kg every couple of hours to start with.

Thanks everyone.

Oh grief I am so sorry to hear this.

How do you feel about bringing him in? Would it stress him out even more?
Did the vet take his temperature whilst you were there?

Hoping that there has been some improvement in Thor overnight. Sending him lots more vibes.

I hope he’s feeling better now, there seems to be so many rabbits on here with stasis for no apparent reason, could be fireworks or environmental, autumn always seems a bad time of year for them being ill.

Thanks for the replies. Was going to update on here last night, but things then took a turn for the worst. He didn't make it :cry:

I'd brought him in for the night around 8pm and he had some normal poos around his bum, so I hoped this was a good sign. He ate some rocket no problem, by 10pm he was completely lifeless, stretched out and barely reacting. I kept him on my lap, where he lay sleeping, but around 11pm he had some sort of seizure (the vet said a seizure was strange, maybe it was just him passing, idk) and didn't recover. I was sure I could still see him breathing for a short while, but my dh said he'd gone. It was distressing seeing him like that, I was shouting for help with him in my arms and no one did anything, not that they could....

I took him in this morning and he had a couple of normal poos on his bum then, when the vet checked him, so they said it might not have been gastrointestinal at all, but maybe a tumour or something. We'd put his weight loss down to him being a more normal weight than perhaps over when he arrived, but I'll never make this mistake again.

How can I have lost 2 of the 3 (that came together) in the space of a few months? Could their bad start have contributed!

You couldn't have met a more gentle bun :cry: x

Last edited:
Back