• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving bunnies inside when they have their winter coat

Annie_90

Young Bun
Both buns will be in the house whilst our girl is spayed and fingers crossed, recovers. They've both pretty much finished molting, only a few hairs are flying out when I stroke them, which I'm guessing means their winter coat is complete.

Would having them inside for this long affect their winter coat or would we be able to put them outside again? If possible, we'd like to re-bond before putting them outside, though I'm not sure how long after the spay we'd need to wait for that.

If your house is wamr they will start moulting once you bring them inside, many house rabbits moult constantly. Maybe if you had a cold room they wouldn't moult, but I wouldn't count on it. Once inside I wouldn't put back outside again until spring/summer next year. It's too cold in the UK in october/december etc

We had our girls spayed in the November when they were 6 months old, and they were in the house for 2 weeks afterwards. After a few days, we did lift them up and down the steps so they could run around the garden, but then brought them back into the unheated utility room for the remaining time. After the two weeks, they went back outside into their shed in the garden. Their hutch is also in the shed which of course we packed the sleeping chamber with straw. At this point we didn't have any hay on the floor of their shed, nor did we give them snuggle safe heat pads (because we didn't know about them) and they were perfectly fine that winter. Of course it all depends on how where you live and how cold it is likely to get and how much fur they lose while in the house, but to be honest I can't see them losing too much even if you have them inside for a fortnight like we did. We couldn't have had ours indoors for several months afterwards, it would have been totally impractical.

We had our girls spayed in the November when they were 6 months old, and they were in the house for 2 weeks afterwards. After a few days, we did lift them up and down the steps so they could run around the garden, but then brought them back into the unheated utility room for the remaining time. After the two weeks, they went back outside into their shed in the garden. Their hutch is also in the shed which of course we packed the sleeping chamber with straw. At this point we didn't have any hay on the floor of their shed, nor did we give them snuggle safe heat pads (because we didn't know about them) and they were perfectly fine that winter. Of course it all depends on how where you live and how cold it is likely to get and how much fur they lose while in the house, but to be honest I can't see them losing too much even if you have them inside for a fortnight like we did. We couldn't have had ours indoors for several months afterwards, it would have been totally impractical.
I agree with this - but it's not suggested you bring them from cold to hot or the other way round. One thing I will say - I think it depends on age too, change in temperature for older buns could cause problems, even just natural outside temperature changes as buns get older can cause them issues - just thought I'd mention this :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I'm very glad right now I asked you all! I thought perhaps it was a silly worry.

So we had them inside yesterday because of fireworks and noted how comfortable they were once they'd noticed that the humans weren't scared - my first thought was it was too nice and warm.

New plan: boy goes outside every day. (Original plan was have him run around a bunny-proof room.) I think with the girl once she feels a bit better I'll let her out in the run as long as it's not soggy. She loves 1/2 hour cuddles so taking her outside to sit with me may work as a backup option. We'll put them back in their hutches until it's time to bond them, after which they will be in a shed with a couple of those fluffy cat beds that have a cover thing over them.

We're in the south - a couple of 1 and 3 degree nights so far but otherwise it's been mostly mild, not much like autumn at all. The buns are 6 months old and healthy.

Thank you all very much!

Last edited:
any temp difference bigger than 10c for any long amount of time will cause issues and could even cause death due to overheating or becoming too cold too quickly.

I really wouldn't say any difference whether they are 6 months old or 6 years old, the temp difference will cause problems. they can not take their winter coat off no matter the age. yes younger ones are able to adapt more, but its still not recommended.

the moment you bring them in to a heated house they'll start to moult as its too warm for them. no rabbit its going to keep its winter coat on when its in a 24c house or so. think about how they feel, they can not take their coat off right away, so they're going to be in 20c temps when they're used to 10c or less. it hasn't reached over 12 where I am and usually is as cold as 3c. its rather cold now and while some years its much warmer in november making it easier, this is one of the cold novembers.

to bring them in so they keep their winter coat you're going to have to put them in an unheated room with the window open so the room is the same temperature outside. actually if you bring them in at all you'll need to bring them in to an unheated room that its the same temperature outside. and then once she is recovered, she can go back out with no complications with any temperature differences.

if that isn't possible then I would say wait until next year in the spring/summer to get them spayed so its not as big of a temp difference.

I'm not looking to play down your experience Angie, but you were incredibly lucky IMHO for your bunnies not to suffer health complications and/or lose their winter coat from coming in for such a length of time. research does agree, as does the RWAF whether you take their advice with a pinch of salt, that bringing rabbits in and then out for long periods of time can have health complications. either your utility room was very cold, or it was a warmer november so it wasn't too much of a difference, or you were incredibly lucky.

when I brought my outdoor in all he could really do was lay there breathing heavily as he was too warm, that was in october 2015.

its really not a good idea to bring them in with such temperature changes now. theres too much of a risk and too much at stake. health complications such as blockages due to the amount of fur their ingesting or just ending up overheating could pose serious issues and its not something I would personally play with.

any temp difference bigger than 10c for any long amount of time will cause issues and could even cause death due to overheating or becoming too cold too quickly.

I really wouldn't say any difference whether they are 6 months old or 6 years old, the temp difference will cause problems. they can not take their winter coat off no matter the age. yes younger ones are able to adapt more, but its still not recommended.

the moment you bring them in to a heated house they'll start to moult as its too warm for them. no rabbit its going to keep its winter coat on when its in a 24c house or so. think about how they feel, they can not take their coat off right away, so they're going to be in 20c temps when they're used to 10c or less. it hasn't reached over 12 where I am and usually is as cold as 3c. its rather cold now and while some years its much warmer in november making it easier, this is one of the cold novembers.

to bring them in so they keep their winter coat you're going to have to put them in an unheated room with the window open so the room is the same temperature outside. actually if you bring them in at all you'll need to bring them in to an unheated room that its the same temperature outside. and then once she is recovered, she can go back out with no complications with any temperature differences.

if that isn't possible then I would say wait until next year in the spring/summer to get them spayed so its not as big of a temp difference.

I'm not looking to play down your experience Angie, but you were incredibly lucky IMHO for your bunnies not to suffer health complications and/or lose their winter coat from coming in for such a length of time. research does agree, as does the RWAF whether you take their advice with a pinch of salt, that bringing rabbits in and then out for long periods of time can have health complications. either your utility room was very cold, or it was a warmer november so it wasn't too much of a difference, or you were incredibly lucky.

when I brought my outdoor in all he could really do was lay there breathing heavily as he was too warm, that was in october 2015.

its really not a good idea to bring them in with such temperature changes now. theres too much of a risk and too much at stake. health complications such as blockages due to the amount of fur their ingesting or just ending up overheating could pose serious issues and its not something I would personally play with.
I agree about issues, but it's no secret that cold kills the elderly I think that applies to buns too tbh.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Thank you for this, that's very helpful. I will open the windows in the room and keep the heating off, the windows are large so it will be cold. Would rather wear a couple of jumpers than make it difficult later.

hi - this is making me think twice. My bunnies are outdoors march/april-October then indoors for winter (unheated room). This year I'm trying to keep them outside as long as possible as they are happier outdoors and are still enjoying freedom in the garden. Indoors they live in a pen (2mx4m) and don't choose to roam the house so it's not as good a life for them but there doesn;t seem much point them being outdoors and freezing if they're stuck in their hutch all day (they don't come out in wet weather and grass eating is compromised) over winter.
Should I leave them outdoors ? Their coats have thickened.

When a rabbit is spayed it needs to be indoors at first (24 hours is it?) because their body temperature is affected. I'm hazy on the details of this, and others will be more knowledgeable.

hi - this is making me think twice. My bunnies are outdoors march/april-October then indoors for winter (unheated room). This year I'm trying to keep them outside as long as possible as they are happier outdoors and are still enjoying freedom in the garden. Indoors they live in a pen (2mx4m) and don't choose to roam the house so it's not as good a life for them but there doesn;t seem much point them being outdoors and freezing if they're stuck in their hutch all day (they don't come out in wet weather and grass eating is compromised) over winter.
Should I leave them outdoors ? Their coats have thickened.

I'm not sure if I am understanding so I apologise..

however for rabbits the best set up is a hutch & run combo, or shed and run, or hutch in an aviary for instance. this is to they can choose to come in and out and gives them more space, as a hutch is never enough. consider a hutch a shelter or a hideaway, not a full on space to live in all the time, same for a shed so they are able to come in and out. some rabbits don't like the wet so they will choose to stay in, but many in my experience if given the choice will run out into the run and get soaked! their coats are however very waterproof so a lot of the time it just rolls off.

and while grass doesn't grow as much and isn't as full of nutrients, its still very good for them to eat and they will try. its still grinding down teeth etc, just make sure to offer more hay as they'll need more of it for nutrients and due to the lack of grass in some places.

its not usually recommended to take rabbits in and out all the time, I think it upsets them more. you're keeping them in an unheated room so its going to be very similar temperatures outside anyhow, so I don't really see the point :)

they're not freezing outside as they have a very thick coat on, and if allowed access to a run at all times they'll often go and run around to warm themselves up. I'm not sure if you have either, but many people insulate their hutches and it can be a couple of degrees warmer inside than out, which can make all the difference.

I would leave them outside. most people don't bring rabbits in unless a weather warning such as huge storms which could pose a risk or them, or extreme temperatures going to like -10 for instance :)

Thanks binkyCodie - they have two hutches (one in shed and one outdoors) and a run on decking (all linked by tunnels) 24/7 and access to totally enclosed grassed area (triple garage sized cat run) twice a day so they're ok for space outdoors:) Temps are 10oC overnight indoors (unheated room) but get down to below 0oC outdoors (it's around 10oC in their shed O/N just now).

I read somewhere that outdoor bunnies don't live as long as indoor bunnies .. but I guess that could be down to factors other than winter temperature (disease, accidents, predation ....) ?

I read somewhere that outdoor bunnies don't live as long as indoor bunnies .. but I guess that could be down to factors other than winter temperature (disease, accidents, predation ....) ?

I think that probably has more to do with very general trends, like the kind of person who is likely to have a rabbit indoors, compared to outdoor, the speed of picking up on medical problems etc. I don't think anyone could ever come up with an accurate figure there anyway.

I think that probably has more to do with very general trends, like the kind of person who is likely to have a rabbit indoors, compared to outdoor, the speed of picking up on medical problems etc. I don't think anyone could ever come up with an accurate figure there anyway.

.. interesting - hadn't thought of those aspects...

How long inside after spaying -with winter coat?

Hi there
Been reading the posts about bunnies coming inside with their winter coats on. I'm looking to have Esme spayed this month - she lost her husbun a few weeks ago, is doing OK, but am keen for the spay and then I can then look for her new partner in the new year... I'm guessing as she's on her own at mo, she doesn't need to be inside v long? Or is it more the case that she won't tolerate the cold after the op? But will the house be too hot?? She has a thick coat. I can turn down heating but it's going to be a massive temp difference...
Do I wait til spring for the spay to avoid this difference?? I don't want her to be on her own that long really, but is this a better option for her overall health??

A dilemma!!
Thanks,
Sarah

I think it's the first 24 hours after surgery that their body temperature is lowered. I've just been looking around for a link with information, but am failing to come up with anything definitive.

It's tough on a lone rabbit outside so, unless you can move them inside permanently, the sooner the better for a new companion. So I personally wouldn't want to wait until the spring for a partner.

Hi there
Been reading the posts about bunnies coming inside with their winter coats on. I'm looking to have Esme spayed this month - she lost her husbun a few weeks ago, is doing OK, but am keen for the spay and then I can then look for her new partner in the new year... I'm guessing as she's on her own at mo, she doesn't need to be inside v long? Or is it more the case that she won't tolerate the cold after the op? But will the house be too hot?? She has a thick coat. I can turn down heating but it's going to be a massive temp difference...
Do I wait til spring for the spay to avoid this difference?? I don't want her to be on her own that long really, but is this a better option for her overall health??

A dilemma!!
Thanks,
Sarah

i have an older unspayed doe who lost her neutered husbun in the summer. i could tell she was a bit lonely & nervous on her own so rather than getting her spayed late in life i got a young neutered male as a partner for her.
it's all gone brilliantly and i'm so glad i did this.
i would say get her a partner asap, making sure they are both fully vaccinated & up-to-date on the vacs.

all my buns have always been outside buns, free-range in the garden with a large shed as a home - they are shut in the shed at night & the door is open all day for them to come & go as they please.

regarding temps, they have a desk fan in the shed in the summer when it's very hot & when it's very very cold they have a fan heater in the shed just on the frost setting.
imo if it's >0degC in the shed they are OK.

hth

Last edited:
Mmm, thanks MikeK. Yes she lived with a neutered male before, and all was well. I think the rescue places I was looking at wanted her to be spayed before I adopted as it would make the bonding process easier. Glad you've had a success with not spaying!

Mmm, thanks MikeK. Yes she lived with a neutered male before, and all was well. I think the rescue places I was looking at wanted her to be spayed before I adopted as it would make the bonding process easier. Glad you've had a success with not spaying!

the bonding was very quick and simple :)
linky (see post #15) http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?472937-Pepper-young-neutered-boy-nethie-Nottingham

and any excuse to post a pic :)

wREu0ua.jpg

Last edited:
Back