• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Bumble and MishMish

Bunnie

Warren Scout
I have a big bunny called bumble, he lived with his sister for 5 years, until her death earlier this year. since then Bumbley has been living alone. in a couple of days I will be adopting another bunny called MishMish (may change the name, doesnt look like a MishMish to me)

I have never bonded rabbits before, but have been reading lots of posts on this site.

I read that once the two rabbits are bonded they then live in one house together (obviously) but how do i move Mish into Bumble's house without a teritorial issue?

I read that i should clean and scrub Bumble's accommodation with water and vinegar. But Bumble has an entire room of our house and its got carpets. So do I have to wash the walls and carpet too?

bit off topic, but please please check Bumble is up-to-date on vacs for mixy, rhd 1 & rhd 2 before getting him a new friend :)

is the new one a buck or doe?

Hi, we had this scenario recently.

Once our two (male/female) seemed settled in neutral territory (after 2 or 3 days) we moved the entire set up, pen, litter tray etc up to the bedroom and then kept them in that for another couple of days before giving them full roam.

I didnt clean anything (as you've said it's just not practical to scrub carpets etc) and we had no issues at all. Maybe we just got lucky! It was an easy bond and we had no issues right from the start. It might make a difference who's territory it was first, our female lived in the room and the male was the newbie. Hopefully someone can clarify this x

The new rabbit is a boy, about the same age as Bumbley. Bumble is up to date with vacs and the vet said that he didnt need the rhd1 and 2 as his is a house bunny who never goes out side is the windows in his room dont open

This is bad advice from your Vet as indoor rabbits are just as vulnerable as outdoor ones as you can carry the virus in on your shoes etc.

As tonibun has said, this is bad advice from your vet. All rabbits are vulnerable, especially to RHD2, whether they live indoors or outdoors. My strong advice is to get both rabbits vaccinated for Myx, RHD1 and RHD2, this means two vaccinations Nobivac and Filavac.

There have been very many unvaccinated rabbits dying recently from RHD2.

As tonibun has said, this is bad advice from your vet. All rabbits are vulnerable, especially to RHD2, whether they live indoors or outdoors. My strong advice is to get both rabbits vaccinated for Myx, RHD1 and RHD2, this means two vaccinations Nobivac and Filavac.

There have been very many unvaccinated rabbits dying recently from RHD2.

This is bad advice from your Vet as indoor rabbits are just as vulnerable as outdoor ones as you can carry the virus in on your shoes etc.

I agree with Tonibun and Omi. I would be changing vets to a rabbit savvy exotics vet too, to get the vaccines and any future treatments they might need.

The new rabbit is a boy, about the same age as Bumbley. Bumble is up to date with vacs and the vet said that he didnt need the rhd1 and 2 as his is a house bunny who never goes out side is the windows in his room dont open

Gracious :shock:

If you want to find out the reported suspected and confirmed cases of RHD2 look here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?471653-RHD2-More-Cases-(-Update-October-2018

Tamsin, the owner of this site, felt the situation so serious that she made this thread into a 'sticky' so that as many people as possible would see it and get their rabbits vaccinated.

Back