• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay recommendations that aren't Timothy...

Mervinius

Mama Doe
The buns love Timothy hay, but i am extremely allergic to it, as I sadly found out last summer. :-(

So they normally have Pure Pastures meadow hay, which they like but it depends on the bag. Current bag is not liked much.

They also get a handful a day of Burns Oat Hay, which they love. Unfortunately this is currently not available due to quality issues!

Any recommendations please. They like long stranded hay that is chunky. Not thin chopped stuff.

Thank you all for your herb recommendations the other day as you can see they both loovveee the parsley. Hahaha.
528729a0162155bdd0c6636c80227d03.jpg
a1db47d76cb63dfe60777e30bcda1287.jpg

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Frosty’s favourites include sweet green hay and five a day hay from nature’s own, burns green oat hay, nature’s touch wild hay and oxbow orchard grass. He likes alfalfa king Timothy hay too, but he loves the others equally I would say.

The oxbow orchard grass is particularly long strands. The hay experts will send out samples of some of these, others I’ve found by trial and error and recommendations on here. Luckily the goats will eat anything that Frosty doesn’t like :thumb: I can send you some testers of the ones the hay experts don’t have if that would help :thumb:

I'm allergic to all hay so not much help here! I've tried loads, all effect me the same, and Timothy hay brings me out in a rash on my hands, it's all very glamorous [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] mainly got that under control now though.

https://dustfreehay.co.uk/product/large-bales/

They sell a stalky hay - but Idk if its Timothy hay?
Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I know the struggle. I'm extremely asthmatic so spend my days sounding like darth vader!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I know the struggle. I'm extremely asthmatic so spend my days sounding like darth vader!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Oh nice..I spent months with red raw eyes that looked like I'd poured acid in them. Wouldn't stop weeping. Finally worked out what it was.

I get hay from https://www.hay-and-straw.co.uk

they have big bags which suits for buying in bulk.. they have ings and meadow hay. mine hate meadow hay so I don't use it. I've had timothy the past few couple of times so I can't remember what the ings is like :lol: its known for being a softer hay, but its sweet so they might like it. you can buy samples from them to test before you buy.

otherwise maybe a local farm sells bales, but thats only helpful if you drive, have somewhere to store a bale and don't mind the mess in the car!
or equine shops might be worth a look.
some local pet stores might be worth checking out too. some that are smaller run stores sometimes sell local bagged hay, which is a bit less messy. its also more convenient and usually is of fresh/good quality.

I tend not to buy the small bags like in P@H as I find them too expensive for what there is. and not too great quality. most of the time the hay is brown and not so sweet smelling. its probably been sat there for who knows how long.

the range & B&M sell small bags of hay I have heard. but they wouldn't last very long as she seem to be tiny 1kg bags.

they have big bags which suits for buying in bulk.. they have ings and meadow hay. mine hate meadow hay so I don't use it. I've had timothy the past few couple of times so I can't remember what the ings is like [emoji38] its known for being a softer hay, but its sweet so they might like it. you can buy samples from them to test before you buy.

otherwise maybe a local farm sells bales, but thats only helpful if you drive, have somewhere to store a bale and don't mind the mess in the car!
some local pet stores might be worth checking out too. some that are smaller run stores sometimes sell local bagged hay, which is a bit less messy. its also more convenient and usually is of fresh/good quality.

I tend not to buy the small bags like in P@H as I find them too expensive for what there is. and not too great quality. most of the time the hay is brown and not so sweet smelling. its probably been sat there for who knows how long.

the range & B&M sell small bags of hay I have heard. but they wouldn't last very long as she seem to be tiny 1kg bags.
Mine love the ings hay from there :D altho tbh I've never been very impressed with the quality from there compared to other places that sell hay and straw

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

they have big bags which suits for buying in bulk.. they have ings and meadow hay. mine hate meadow hay so I don't use it. I've had timothy the past few couple of times so I can't remember what the ings is like :lol: its known for being a softer hay, but its sweet so they might like it. you can buy samples from them to test before you buy.

I buy hay from B&M as its next to my works, but it is Timothy with marigolds.

Ings hay from hay-and-straw is always very long and stalky
Also nature's own meadow hay, but like Pure Pastures the batches vary a lot. I had one batch a few months ago they LOVE and then one batch they didn't care for. Luckily I managed to get some more from the old batch by getting it from a local pet shop instead of direct from the supplier. Now the very new batch I think is better, but not as good as the old one.

Ings hay from hay-and-straw is always very long and stalky
Also nature's own meadow hay, but like Pure Pastures the batches vary a lot. I had one batch a few months ago they LOVE and then one batch they didn't care for. Luckily I managed to get some more from the old batch by getting it from a local pet shop instead of direct from the supplier. Now the very new batch I think is better, but not as good as the old one.
This is the problem with pure pastures. Some batches are great and then some are awful. The current bag I have it's tiny short strands. Only a couple of inches long. Buns are so not impressed.

After everyone's recommendations I've ordered the sample pack of Hays from Hay and Straw. It does have a Timothy one but hopefully it will be small so they will munch it before it upsets me. Hahaha.

How big are the bulk sizes from Hay and Straw, just trying to work out if they like it where I'd keep it all. eek

Last edited:
The 9.5kg is pretty big, If turned on it's side it's about the size of half a washing machine. The main problem with the Ings hay is that if often has a lot of weeds in it that I have to pick out.

The 9.5kg is pretty big, If turned on it's side it's about the size of half a washing machine. The main problem with the Ings hay is that if often has a lot of weeds in it that I have to pick out.
Why do you pick the weeds out?

The buns are tucking in to their Ings hay, I ordered a 4.5 kg which arrived today. This should just fit in their food cupboard :)

"Thank you for recommending this yummy hay to my Hooman everyone. It's very scrummy and my poos are all golden and perfect. Nom nom nom"
501e38afd301707606f1fb78e375974e.jpg
c3325bc6ee50a8ba26f0dcb919625a87.jpg
2d768ba3b0e35f94457bc89222fe4a1f.jpg

I should probably admit... I pick them all out too for the same reason [emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
Haha. Ok. They'll have to just eat the weeds, no way I'll convince my OH to pick them out. We're used to lots of random stalks in their meadow hay and they love those the most. No idea what plant they are though.

Archie sampled a house plant this morning. He got onto the bedside table which I thought was out of reach. Hmmm

I'm more worried about plants like that which they wouldn't find in the wild. I'm presuming most native plants in a grass meadow would be bun friendly?

Haha. Ok. They'll have to just eat the weeds, no way I'll convince my OH to pick them out. We're used to lots of random stalks in their meadow hay and they love those the most. No idea what plant they are though.

Archie sampled a house plant this morning. He got onto the bedside table which I thought was out of reach. Hmmm

I'm more worried about plants like that which they wouldn't find in the wild. I'm presuming most native plants in a grass meadow would be bun friendly?

I have no clue and my buns seem to be suicidal with poisonous plants so I just don't risk anything [emoji38][emoji38]

I have no clue and my buns seem to be suicidal with poisonous plants so I just don't risk anything [emoji38][emoji38]

Oh no! I'm sorry you have troublesome buns too. I'm trying to work out how I can make our rooms upstairs safe. We've got the doors closed at the mo but in the summer we will want them open to cool the house.

I need to sort cables and find a way to stop Archie getting onto the bedside tables !!!!

Oh no! I'm sorry you have troublesome buns too. I'm trying to work out how I can make our rooms upstairs safe. We've got the doors closed at the mo but in the summer we will want them open to cool the house.

I need to sort cables and find a way to stop Archie getting onto the bedside tables !!!!

[emoji38][emoji38]

Buns can really be a nightmare, hope you figure it out, my inside two are alright now, but if anything new appears and I forget to think like a rabbit (anything is possible) then we're in trouble...

[emoji38][emoji38]

Buns can really be a nightmare, hope you figure it out, my inside two are alright now, but if anything new appears and I forget to think like a rabbit (anything is possible) then we're in trouble...

Yes it's thinking like a bun and remembering how they can jump much higher than you think and squeeze between and under things that you wouldn't think a mouse would go into. Lol.

We will work it out, only been here a 2 months so far, so everything is new. ;-)

Back