• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grinding teeth while relaxing

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Hi all.

A quick question about grinding teeth - I know it can be a sign of pain or of contentment, but has anyone come across a bun doing this when not being stroked or groomed, but seemingly not in pain?

One of my lot has been grinding her teeth while just relaxing with her husbun. She's not hunched or showing any other signs of discomfort, and she's eating fine. She's always done it while being stroked or groomed, which I've always taken as positive.

I'm hoping it's more a tooth purr than a grind - any thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I’ve found that tooth purring in contentment and tooth grinding in pain are two very distinct sounds. The former sounds like a slightly crunchier version of a cat purring. Whereas the second is a much harsher sound. Actually when I first heard it was when one of my buns had a severe episode of gut stasis. I thought she was eating a bramble leaf I had placed in front of her, but when I looked she wasn’t eating, just grinding her teeth. So I’d say the tooth grinding sounds like chewing a leaf. That’s the closest way I can describe it!

From your description of her demeanour I’d be inclined to think she’s tooth purring. Mainly because I would expect to see other signs of pain such as the hunching and refusal of food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, yes both of my rabbits do this when content. Usually after filling up on hay and then settling down for a snooze. They sometimes come over for a headrub and if you hit the right spot they gently 'chomp'.
Given the context I think your bun is probably just relaxed.
I hope that helps.

Thank both! It does seem like that's the case. They've just moved indoors, maybe she's always done it and I haven't noticed with them being outside.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I reliable heard that its normally & healthy to munch on their own gnashers whilst chilling out

My buns tooth purr when just chilling out in a flopped bun position. Archie also does tooth clacking which is surprisingly loud.

If your bun looks relaxed it probably is. They look miserable and hunched when in pain

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Back