• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed ventilation

Annie_90

Young Bun
We're looking at 8x6 sheds (big enough for two buns?) Is a shed with a window that doesn't open okay? We're wondering if adding a vent or two near the ceiling would make it a possibility. The sheds with opening windows are nice but it would be difficult/impossible to add a mesh to stop the buns jumping out, the open windowed sheds we've seen so far only open upwards.

I find enough air gets into my sheds but I had a couple of windows taken out of my bigger sheds (12') which I had meshed as they can get hot in the Summer. If you buy a shed with an opening window this is easier to remove than a fixed window but it's your choice. Yes, a 8 x 6 will be big enough :thumb:

A shed with no opening will get too warm in summer. I would just replace the plastic / glass in the fixed window with mesh on the inside of the shed. Save the plastic for winter and you can use some button turn fasteners to replace it over the mesh but on the outside of the shed so that rain / snow are less likely to get in, and the mesh just stays as it is.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plated-But...17&sr=8-10-spons&keywords=hutch+latches&psc=1
or make your own from scraps of wood.

Thank you both: we've found a better shed option with opening windows that we can hopefully fix so they open differently. If they don't, we'll just have to have a rethink on that subject!

You can always change the hinge position on an opening window. I find a top hinge helps to keep out the rain / snow better. Just mesh the gap inside - use U shape nails or fasten the edges down with thin pieces of wood. You may need to cut a small hole to allow the window's stay arm through.

Back