• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Disabled bunny flooring

willowflower27

Mama Doe
Priscilla is doing great in fact so well it's hard to keep her still I noticed the left hock is becoming a little red obviously she will be susceptible to this only Having the use of one rear leg at the minute I tried keeping her on deep hay like I did with my rex girls but that just gets tangled round the broken leg that sticks out at an angle, so I gave her on memory foam and vet bed any other suggestions I'm sort of learning as I go.
Also a longer term question (all being well and she pulls through with 4 legs) what set up would be best I used to house my buns in spare room and they had the run of it til I closed them in a dog crate run combo just overnight, however with Priscilla I'm worried about the leg getting caught in wires I thought about a hutch but it would need to be on the one level again I'm just thinking ahead but any ideas appreciated
You can see the angle of the leg in the photo
45025eba82b440618fe208fc6e4af514.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I do think vet bed would be good long term. its soft and allows them to sink their claws in. the only problem is is that some bunnies will pee on soft objects. but if any accidents do happen vet bed can be washed.. so if you get a couple of sheets of it, you can rotate them around as you clean them.

sudocream if you can would also help the sore hock, or vaseline. it helps the skin as it can be very sore and painful and crack/bleed. just use a tiny amount and rub it in well, so there isn't a lot to lick off.

MM also seems very knowledgeable when it comes to sore hocks and gave me a whole load of creams to try! they did help, but the one I used was discountinued and I can't remember what else she said for me to try. hopefully they pop by - but if not I am sure they wouldn't mind if you shot them a PM to ask :)

is there a reason you can't keep them out all night in the spare room? if they have an entire room to them selves then I would just honestly leave them out. bunnies generally seem to be upset about being shut up anyway, as they don't really understand.

I'd also maybe worry that if you were to bond them that a dog crate would be too small for three bunnies.. the largest one I had was a bit cramped at two. it could ensure fights? I'm not sure.

I'm not sure if the leg would get caught, so I can't really advise. although I'm guessing it will be operated on and set in the correct position, so I'm not sure how it would pose an issue long term? unless that isn't the plan?

sorry, I'm not caught up :)

beautiful little bunny however,

She is such a gorgeous bunny - I love her face. I guess you won't know quite how agile / likely to get caught she will be til she's had her op & recovered. Free roam of a room / section of room sounds good but I've no experience. The floorings that you are using are what I'd try. I really just had to drop by to admire her. I hope things go well

Jacks jane & shimmer have had amputee bunnies

Back