• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think I'm losing Esme - deteriorating - it was intestinal cancer.

Thank you all for your kind words.

xbm1wuI.jpg

xxxx

So, it turns out that the stricture in Esme's intestines was adenocarcinoma (cancer). When Tinkerbell's histology came back as adenocarcinoma I was told that intestinal adenocarcinoma hadn't been recorded in rabbits previously, yet they both had it. Both came to me in 2008 and died within three weeks of each other ten years later from this incredibly rare condition. The vet who did the PM wonders if it is actually not so rare in elderly rabbits as she has also lost a ten year old rabbit to it, it is possibly just that PMs in that age group are rare, rather than the condition itself. Esme appeared to be really well and healthy, not losing weight etc unlike Tinkerbell who was much more obviously unwell.

So, it turns out that the stricture in Esme's intestines was adenocarcinoma (cancer). When Tinkerbell's histology came back as adenocarcinoma I was told that intestinal adenocarcinoma hadn't been recorded in rabbits previously, yet they both had it. Both came to me in 2008 and died within three weeks of each other ten years later from this incredibly rare condition. The vet who did the PM wonders if it is actually not so rare in elderly rabbits as she has also lost a ten year old rabbit to it, it is possibly just that PMs in that age group are rare, rather than the condition itself. Esme appeared to be really well and healthy, not losing weight etc unlike Tinkerbell who was much more obviously unwell.

That is very interesting, as you say, I imagine PMs are quite rare, especially in that age group. I know it doesn’t make it any easier, but there was nothing more you could have done for them xx

I think you are right there. I suspect that many 'unusual' conditions in Rabbits may actually not be that unusual. It's just that they go undiagnosed for a variety of reasons. Many people do not opt for a PM, even in a young Rabbit and of course the skills of the Vet carrying out the PM need to be factored in. I dont think anything would be missed by the Vet who carried out Esme's PM and maybe it will give some useful guidance for the future. I expect her case will be covered in some Lectures that the Vet gives in the future.

Interesting result. I think so many causes of death in rabbits will go undiagnosed, plus as you say PMs are very uncommon.

Thanks all. I've found the PM results very reassuring. Another positive I forgot to mention - her kidneys were okay. Given the fact that between the age of c 6 months to five years she lived in the same room as Artie who had a kidney wrecked by E.Cuniculi, I think that is pretty amazing.

Very sad. I have never had a pm done so don't know what some of mine have passed away with. I expect the majority of people don't. Mr B definitely had cancer so he didn't need a pm. Cancer is so horrible, it's quite frightening were it grows.

Very sad. I have never had a pm done so don't know what some of mine have passed away with. I expect the majority of people don't. Mr B definitely had cancer so he didn't need a pm. Cancer is so horrible, it's quite frightening were it grows.

The histopathology report said that it "had the potential to metastasize" but it hadn't gone to her kidneys or liver, I don't know if that suggests it was a "new" cancer. Tink's cancer was also in other areas of her body, potentially in her spine given neurological problems with her leg. I just get the feeling that a lot of "old age" deaths are probably cancer.

The histopathology report said that it "had the potential to metastasize" but it hadn't gone to her kidneys or liver, I don't know if that suggests it was a "new" cancer. Tink's cancer was also in other areas of her body, potentially in her spine given neurological problems with her leg. I just get the feeling that a lot of "old age" deaths are probably cancer.

I was having this very discussion with my Vet a while ago. Basically many Pet Rabbits are living a lot longer these days, so conditions such as some cancers are more likely to occur. But without PMs they will go unrecorded. Thus accurate data collection is not available.

I fully respect and understand those who do not want a PM done. It is a very personal decision with no 'right' or 'wrong' choice.

I hope you are coping as well as possible A xx

I suspect that's very true. We didn't know Cutie-pie had cancer until she had a scan. The only symptom was weight loss, she was about 7 and a half to 8 years old.

Back