• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sudden Glut of Used Hutches Being Advertised For Sale

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I have deliberately avoided looking at the Freead sites but today I have had a look and there is a very obvious increase in the amount of used hutches being advertised for sale. A coincidence, or a result of the RHD2 situation ???

Obviously it is up to the individual as to whether they risk buying a used hutch. But given the current dire situation re RHD2 I dont think it is worth taking the risk. Even aggressive disinfecting with something like Anigene numerous times would not be something I would risk doing.

Jane, I have noticed exactly this on the Freeads site. It's really scary.

Regardless of the RHD2 situation, I wish wish wish that hutches like the kinds I'm seeing were made illegal to manufacture. When we build our shed in a couple of weeks I'm going to break down our 6ft 2-tier hutch and use it for scraps, because even though it's just a sleeping space for our rabbits, I don't trust that it won't end up in the wrong hands and some poor bunnies will be trapped in there living in their own filth :(

I noticed a lot too, I've had a few people I know trying to be helpful by sending me ads (to help with the hand reared babies but they're sorted now) and there does seem to be a lot advertised. Aside from the majority being too small I have been saying there's a risk re RHD2 especially.

I know that some people may just want to use a hutch as a hidey hole for Rabbits kept in large aviaries/kennels etc. But I really would not want to risk buying a used one.

It's getting even worse, especially on Gumtree. I dont suppose the sites would allow an Advert alerting the public about the current RHD2 situation and the very real risks involved in selling on/ buying a second hand hutch :?

It's getting even worse, especially on Gumtree. I dont suppose the sites would allow an Advert alerting the public about the current RHD2 situation and the very real risks involved in selling on/ buying a second hand hutch :?

Have you noticed this in certain areas Jane, or is it country-wide? Very scary.

Not sure I'll be able to sell my hutch now... [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Just came on here to say I've been noticing a few on Nottingham area Freecycle. I'd quite like another tiny abomination (like what Lopsy came with) as a hideaway/new area, but I don't want to buy one because I don't think it's right to encourage incorrect hutches in incorrect situations. But the whole RHD2 thing means I'm asking probing questions (in a very roundabout way) just in case, and to be fair I'm not even sure I want to risk it.

Just came on here to say I've been noticing a few on Nottingham area Freecycle. I'd quite like another tiny abomination (like what Lopsy came with) as a hideaway/new area, but I don't want to buy one because I don't think it's right to encourage incorrect hutches in incorrect situations. But the whole RHD2 thing means I'm asking probing questions (in a very roundabout way) just in case, and to be fair I'm not even sure I want to risk it.

How about something like this, or too small?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bunny-Business-Rabbit-Guinea-House/dp/B006OMZ170/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542650894&sr=8-1&keywords=rabbit+hideaway

As it isn't designed to be a proper hutch, just a hideaway, you wouldn't be supporting the industry's nasty tiny hutches. And the price is pretty reasonable too :)

How about something like this, or too small?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bunny-Business-Rabbit-Guinea-House/dp/B006OMZ170/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542650894&sr=8-1&keywords=rabbit+hideaway

As it isn't designed to be a proper hutch, just a hideaway, you wouldn't be supporting the industry's nasty tiny hutches. And the price is pretty reasonable too :)
thanks: it's something I'd considered but mine now have a plastic crate they use in the same way on the lawn :) I really need a new 'join', like my existing hutch is, with a tube going in one end and a removable tube coming out the other (ish), plus somewhere they can go and sleep. The tiny 'mezzanine' hutches are perfect for it! :S

Back