• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Coco

Good advice from J+B

If he feels cold to touch you need to provide him with a heat pad of some sort. Even if all you have is a warm towel to cover him over. When a Bunny is poorly hypothermia can occur rapidly and this, in turn, can make their situations more serious.

I do hope that he will feel better soon xx
I didn't just leave him cold we wrapped him up!

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

We are at the vets. We've seen the consultant nurse, she checked his teeth said he's too young for teeth problems. Said the concern is if he has gut stasis so we gotta see a vet now. He tried running away she said he's active now though isn't he [emoji23] he just hates vets they hurted him last time!

I didn't just leave him cold we wrapped him up!

You may find it useful to buy a special round heatpad and cosy cover. They are designed for pets and you can just heat them up in a microwave. I bought mine from Amazon but I think PaH sell them. They are a good addition to your 'emergency' kit.

Hi everyone.

Coco has a high temperature, didn't like the thermometer being put up his bum! She pulled it out and there was all blood on there [emoji21]
He has had an antibiotic injection and another injection, he's on medication now which i have to give him tomorrow from 4.45pm, he's also been given recovery liquid feed which i have to give him every 2 hours. If hes not better within 24hrs i have to phone them back and take him down.

You may find it useful to buy a special round heatpad and cosy cover. They are designed for pets and you can just heat them up in a microwave. I bought mine from Amazon but I think PaH sell them. They are a good addition to your 'emergency' kit.
I've seen the heatpads and i will be getting him one thanks

do you have confidence in this vet?

i would like to hear from others here, but imo Coco is a very poorly boy and i'm not sure.
where are you based? just wondering if someone here might be able to recommend a vets for tomorrow & onwards.

i would like to hear from others here, but imo Coco is a very poorly boy and i'm not sure.
where are you based? just wondering if someone here might be able to recommend a vets for tomorrow & onwards.
I was wondering this too :(

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Oh I'm really sorry :( this is probably not what you want to hear but I wouldn't personally treat a rabbit with antibiotics without a proper diagnosis. My vet has mentioned to me that they are pretty much useless unless injected and for specific causes for example inner ear infections and abscesses.

I think as my friend boobly has said a glucose reading is a good place to start pointing you in the right direction. I personally do that and x rays (concious) when my buns are poorly.

Did you manage to find a savvy vet? They will save you a lot of time and money. Did coco get any metacam?

Where are you maybe someone can help?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Please go to vets. Our rabbit had those symptoms. I didn’t go. It was late. I thought I would check him in the morning. In the morning he was dead. I would not make that mistake again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree. I am extremely concerned about the high fever and blood coming from his anus :cry:

I did ask if the bleeding from his bum was okay? And she said it seems to be? She could tell this from wiping? Could It have been from the thermometer?

I did ask if the bleeding from his bum was okay? And she said it seems to be? She could tell this from wiping? Could It have been from the thermometer?

Is your vet rabbit savvy?

I'd be extremely concerned if my rabbit had blood from there... And the vet couldn't explain why...

Please go to vets. Our rabbit had those symptoms. I didn’t go. It was late. I thought I would check him in the morning. In the morning he was dead. I would not make that mistake again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have been to the vets.

It was pdsa...

Ultimately I can only tell you what I'd do, which could be ofc wrong. But I'd want a rabbit savvy vet looking at him tonight :(

I think he needs looking at by a vet who knows what they're looking at, and tbh in my experience a lot of standard vets just don't know enough about rabbits :(

If you could share rough location, maybe people could suggest exotic vets?

Back