• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Coco

slob1231

Warren Scout
Hi guys. I let Coco out of his cage when i came home from collecting my daughter from nursery today, i planned to clean out his cage. I went out this morning after school run to see if i could find him a bed! Anyway, he didn't want to come out [emoji849] so i left him while i started cleaning him out but he hunched himself in the corner, so i picked him up gently and put him on my lap. He let me(not like him to sit on my lap) anyway he got off and just sat next to me, didn't move just sat there, i noticed he was feeling very cold (ears) so i put him on my lap and wrapped my dressing gown around him which again he allowed (unusual) then he got off and went to lay on the sofa. He just looks sad, and not his bubbly bouncy self normally he sniffs round,goes on the window or tries to get behind our chair lol but nope he just laid there. I just felt very sad seeing him like that so I've done his cage but instead of straw on the floor I've put a nice blanket down, the thing is with straw he doesn't sleep on it. He moves it all out the way to make himself a patch, but he's now currently laying on the blanket. When i put him back in the cage he had some hay so he is eating but didn't touch his fresh food. Hasn't been to the toilet yet, but because he needed to be cleaned out I'm not sure if he's been today but I've changed his litter so I'll keep an eye on that. Do you think there could be something wrong? Or could he just be cold?
c6e62120696c7c87bb454d4f4fd72a75.jpg
a36d1b9274be17a48a665d129395d4b7.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

Have you tried giving coco their favourite noms? I'm sorry to worry you but if coco refuses noms and is cold and hunched I would get him to the vets asap today :(

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Have you seen him eating?

Are his ears cold?

If there's no output, and his ears are cold and he's hunched I'd get him to a vet ASAP

Hope he's okay x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Have you tried giving coco their favourite noms? I'm sorry to worry you but if coco refuses noms and is cold and hunched I would get him to the vets asap today :(

Yes, me too. These episodes are usually much easier to treat if they're caught and treated early. Sending him lots of vibes.

Another 'vet urgently'. Rabbits go downhill so quickly that time really is of the essence. Good luck!

I’m sorry to read that Coco is out of sorts [emoji17] A rabbit acting out of character, not eating favourite foods and hunched up will ring alarm bells for me. I agree with Loobers, try and tempt him with some favourite foods. If he refuses to eat them then you would need to try and get him seen by the vet today. It sounds like he may have the beginnings of gut stasis and the sooner you can get him started on treatment the better chance he’ll have of making a full recovery.

Good luck and I hope he’ll be ok xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you seen him eating?

Are his ears cold?

If there's no output, and his ears are cold and he's hunched I'd get him to a vet ASAP

Hope he's okay x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
His ears were cold and I've seen him eat hay. Not seen him toilet yet...

My husband managed to fit into his cage so he's trying to give him some lovings. His ears are still cold, hes not hunched anymore hes laying down flat with my husband in the cage he did get up and have some water and sniffed my husband and he's eating bits of hay still. His food bowl is next to the hay so will try some of that

My husbands trying to feed him his mix of food but Coco is just pushing his hand away.

When my bunnies have had tummy issues they tend to belly press or roll on their sides. I personally wouldn't wait if he is not acting normally. Vibes for coco xx

Please take your rabbit to the vet.
Trust your instincts, from what you've posted you clearly have concerns and you will know your bun best.
Rabbits in pain tend to go a little quite and lose their spark. If your rabbit is in pain he may not have eaten for a while which as you'll be aware is a serious issue for rabbits.
The sooner your rabbit can be treated the better their chance of recovery.
If I was in your situation I'd be booking a vet appointment for today.
I hope all goes okay x

I recommend you get him to the vets ASAP, rabbits can go downhill rapidly. Topping up the vibes xx

Thanks guys I've contacted the vets, she said i should have called this morning but i said i didnt know then! Normally hes quite chilled during the day anyway, i had to go out. I've gotta take him down at 4.15pm

Hes out of his cage now, but just laid straight down on the floor. I picked him i for a cuddle. His belly is currently bubbling loud is that not normal? Still no toilet and still no hard food.

Thanks guys I've contacted the vets, she said i should have called this morning but i said i didnt know then! Normally hes quite chilled during the day anyway, i had to go out. I've gotta take him down at 4.15pm

Hes out of his cage now, but just laid straight down on the floor. I picked him i for a cuddle. His belly is currently bubbling loud is that not normal? Still no toilet and still no hard food.

I'm glad he is being seen & hope the appointment goes well. Poor little mite, its horrible seeing them uncomfortable xx

I'm glad he is being seen & hope the appointment goes well. Poor little mite, its horrible seeing them uncomfortable xx
It is, his ears went warm but now they are cold again he's turned his nose up to literally all we've offered. He came out of his cage but just laid by my husbands chair, he let us cuddle him etc and he let us touch his tummy. His tummy is sooo loud! Xx

When you see the vet it will probably be useful to get a blood glucose test done. They can be a great indicator of whether stasis is attributable to a blockage (hopefully not). In turn this would let the vet know if its safe to prescribe gut mobility drugs & syringe feeding

From Frances Harcourt-Brown

Blood glucose is measured in mmol/ml (millimoles/litre)

Normal: 4-8 mmol/ml

2-4 mmol/ltr – needs food – rabbit is experiencing gut stasis
If less that 2 mmol/ltr, call vet

8-15 mmol/ltr Rabbit is stressed, but can stay at home
More than 15mmol/ltr, less than 20 – Call vet, start to worry…
More than 20 mmol/ltr, needs surgery.

When you see the vet it will probably be useful to get a blood glucose test done. They can be a great indicator of whether stasis is attributable to a blockage (hopefully not). In turn this would let the vet know if its safe to prescribe gut mobility drugs & syringe feeding

From Frances Harcourt-Brown

Blood glucose is measured in mmol/ml (millimoles/litre)

Normal: 4-8 mmol/ml

2-4 mmol/ltr – needs food – rabbit is experiencing gut stasis
If less that 2 mmol/ltr, call vet

8-15 mmol/ltr Rabbit is stressed, but can stay at home
More than 15mmol/ltr, less than 20 – Call vet, start to worry…
More than 20 mmol/ltr, needs surgery.

Good advice from J+B

It is, his ears went warm but now they are cold again he's turned his nose up to literally all we've offered. He came out of his cage but just laid by my husbands chair, he let us cuddle him etc and he let us touch his tummy. His tummy is sooo loud! Xx

If he feels cold to touch you need to provide him with a heat pad of some sort. Even if all you have is a warm towel to cover him over. When a Bunny is poorly hypothermia can occur rapidly and this, in turn, can make their situations more serious.

I do hope that he will feel better soon xx

Back