• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often do you clean out your rabbit/s?

mine are cleaned every 3 days, litter empty, full sweep and clean. but every night any stray poops and hay partys that have happened are swept up and put in the litter tray, or back into their bowl. they throw alllll the hay out of the bowl, and then think they have none, so I put the old stuff back in the bowl, and they get all excited as they think its fresh hay. repeat until its all gone, and then they get some "new" :lol:

We used to do their litter tray every morning and clean their hutch out once a week.

This would be subject to change, for example if the weather was particularly horrible then we might clean them out a couple of times if things have gotten a bit damp, and we'd often find ourselves do spot cleans of the area around the litter trays as some days they would use them, and other days they would sit outside the litter tray and eat the hay from inside so leaving their business around the edge of the litter tray.

When we first got them home and found out they had ringworm we were cleaning and disinfecting their hutch every night for over a month, it might have been excessive, but we were just following the instructions from the vet.

Ah I see. That’s probably why I clean them less frequently though as I buy litter for their trays. Expensive but soaks up well and doesn’t smell :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that's it :)

As the litter trays are in the house, I prefer to change them every day (sometimes one they use most needs changing twice a day)

However, I would draw the line at every hour :lol:

When I was in school and had hutch rabbits I always cleaned out the soiled areas everyday, then did proper clean once week
Now I don't have in hutches so can't answer that question as I empty litter tray 3 times a day :lol:

We used to do their litter tray every morning and clean their hutch out once a week.

This would be subject to change, for example if the weather was particularly horrible then we might clean them out a couple of times if things have gotten a bit damp, and we'd often find ourselves do spot cleans of the area around the litter trays as some days they would use them, and other days they would sit outside the litter tray and eat the hay from inside so leaving their business around the edge of the litter tray.

When we first got them home and found out they had ringworm we were cleaning and disinfecting their hutch every night for over a month, it might have been excessive, but we were just following the instructions from the vet.

I'd forgotten they had ringworm.
What a lot of cleaning you had to do ..

Well I've got 37 litter trays which I clean out every day. Most of the hutches stay reasonably clean so get cleaned out when they need it. quite a lot of my rabbits have 2 litter trays.

Back