• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed Insulation & Temperature Change

Hello all,

Very excited as Aesop's new home (Shed), has arrived and is ready to be built, I just have a few questions that I hope perhaps some of you can help me with!

Is cardboard any good as insulation? Obviously over the top of proper insulation and not on the floors where it could get wet/chewed, I just have a huge amount of it after moving and thought it may be useful. I was thinking of something like Shed Walls>Polystrene>Foil Insulation??>Cardboard>Wood?

I know bunny's shouldn't change temperature too rapidly/often and I am a little worried about taking him outside at this time of year, however, his room at the moment is cool, I keep the window open all the time and I will get a thermometer to check the temperature difference isn't too great. I suppose what I am asking is a bit difficult to answer, what kind of change can they cope with? I realise this is a tricky question as I am sure each bunny and circumstance is different. I am on the South Coast of England, with an enclosed garden which stays pretty warm and we keep our flat cool and dont use central heating (Even in winter, too expensive). Any advice on this would be great!

Thank you all!

Last edited:
I should think cardboard would be ok thou i have recently put winter coat on my outdoor bunnies hutch its the silver foam/foil which you put behind your radiators to reflect the heat bought a large roll from lidl the other week and put hutch hugger over the top it helps keep them warm and cosy x

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think it's important to let them chose whether to go outside or not. If they are inside and it's 15 degrees, then forcing them to go outside in 5 degrees would be cruel, but they might well chose to do it. I sometimes think that when it's cold outside they try to work themselves up before going outside, by digging at something to get the blood pumping. I suppose this is similar to nature , their warren would be warmer inside than outside.

Regarding the insulation, I would worry about cardboard getting damp and I think it's use as insulated is limited. If it's corrugated and the ends are sealed, then it would provide some insulation.
But it's always going to be better using proper insulation. Instead of combining insulation, if you can afford it use as much of the best insulation you can fit in.
Instead of Polystyrene, it's better to use PIR board (aka celotex), it's more effective and not too expensive. You can buy it in Wickes and B&Q.
It all has to be covered over with something they can't chew through, like plywood.

You might need some other heat source when it's very cold. Insulation only keeps heat in when it's there, without a heat source there isn't much heat to trap.

I think it's important to let them chose whether to go outside or not. If they are inside and it's 15 degrees, then forcing them to go outside in 5 degrees would be cruel, but they might well chose to do it. I sometimes think that when it's cold outside they try to work themselves up before going outside, by digging at something to get the blood pumping. I suppose this is similar to nature , their warren would be warmer inside than outside.

Regarding the insulation, I would worry about cardboard getting damp and I think it's use as insulated is limited. If it's corrugated and the ends are sealed, then it would provide some insulation.
But it's always going to be better using proper insulation. Instead of combining insulation, if you can afford it use as much of the best insulation you can fit in.
Instead of Polystyrene, it's better to use PIR board (aka celotex), it's more effective and not too expensive. You can buy it in Wickes and B&Q.
It all has to be covered over with something they can't chew through, like plywood.

You might need some other heat source when it's very cold. Insulation only keeps heat in when it's there, without a heat source there isn't much heat to trap.

^^^^ imo very good advice. i agree with all the above with the exception that i don't see anything wrong with the expanded polystyrene.
as far as cardboard goes, i find it very useful as a floor covering. i use it & when it get grubby i just put it in the recycling & put some more down. saves a lot of cleaning :)

^^^^ imo excellent advice. i agree with all the above with the exception that i don't see anything wrong with the expanded polystyrene.
as far as cardboard goes, i find it very useful as a floor covering. i use it & when it get grubby i just put it in the recycling & put some more down. saves a lot of cleaning :)

I used polystyrene on my playhouse and it's great! Cool in summer, warm in winter. Covered it over with plywood and it's been fine for 3 years. They get a hideyhouse (cardboard box, carrier) when it gets colder with a heat pad (Snugglesafe), but also have access to a run, and a tiny hutch next to our house which is sheltered.

Back