• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Refusing bagged salads

My boys are going through what I sincerely hope is a phase where they will NOT eat bagged salads. This is regardless of whether it's something they had before or not, if it's washed, if it's something they LOVE, they just will not eat pre prepped salad. If I buy a cabbage/lettuce etc and rip the leaves off, wash them, and give them to them, they wolf them down. If the EXACT same leaves come from a bag, nada. Why. Why are they like this.

My boys are going through what I sincerely hope is a phase where they will NOT eat bagged salads. This is regardless of whether it's something they had before or not, if it's washed, if it's something they LOVE, they just will not eat pre prepped salad. If I buy a cabbage/lettuce etc and rip the leaves off, wash them, and give them to them, they wolf them down. If the EXACT same leaves come from a bag, nada. Why. Why are they like this.

I have my suspicions about those bagged salads - I know there's been scares about them, but also the air in the bag must get stale?

Have you tried washing the salad coming out of the bag before feeding it to see whether that makes a difference?

Your bunnies are eco warriors, staging a war against plastics? I like this theory. Good bunnies

Hmm.. Idk

The only bagged veg I buy is the spinach, rocket and watercress mix, everything else I buy whole and not sealed, sometimes if I'm on my way home and realise there's no kale left I'll pop in a get a chopped up bag, which mine will eat, but it goes off way quicker than the full leaves of kale you can get. Sometimes in the shop I'm looking at it trying to get one that doesn't look like it's starting to go manky [emoji38]

So what I'm thinking is... It probably tastes different? I personally don't like bagged lettuce compared to a fresh whole one, tastes different to me.

You may have particularly fussy buns [emoji14]

One of mine won't eat basil from anywhere but M&S [emoji849] so I feel your pain [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I wash everything I give them even if it says it's already been washed. They have completely ignored the perfect good bagged rocket I have tried to feed them two days in a row, but have eaten their cherry tomato and curly kale. Oh well, like y'all said, less plastic in the house!

bagged salad stinks of..... chemicals?

afaik bagged salad is washed with bleach possibly or something else, then bagged with the air replaced by other gas(es). might just be nitrogen. (that's one reason why the bag is full of 'air').

i suspect the bunnies are turning their noses up at it because they have good taste!

bagged salad stinks of..... chemicals?

afaik bagged salad is washed with bleach possibly or something else, then bagged with the air replaced by other gas(es). might just be nitrogen. (that's one reason why the bag is full of 'air').

i suspect the bunnies are turning their noses up at it because they have good taste!

Agree!

Back