• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Snuffles Success

BunnyMo

New Kit
I lost one of my rabbits earlier this year - to make a long story short there were quite a few things wrong with him, but in-between it all he got snuffles and passed it on to his brother. After Cadbury passed away we took Biscuit to the Vet several times, with no luck. He was put on Baytril first and a few others, that didn't work. After several weeks of antibiotics with no real improvement we got referred to the Royal Vet Exotic animal hospital in Camden. Traveling into London on a train with a rabbit was quite the experience but we were hopeful! They did a CT scan and some Xrays that came up clear so put him on Marbocyl which helped at first but then stopped. Back to the Vet again and they tried Zitromax as a last resort - within four days the sneezing stopped. The dosage for our 1.8kg dutch rabbit was 1.3 ml once a day for six weeks (just to be sure). He's been ok - will be taking his last dosage next week. Hopefully this is gone for good, but I wanted to share this here as I know many vets in the UK don't normally prescribe Zitromax for snuffles in rabbits, but it's been such a relief that after so long Biscuit is ok.

Just as a side note, we give him a sachet of Bio-Lapis in the morning and 1ml of Fiberplex in the evening as it did upset his stomach quite a bit, but the probiotics seem to have helped.

Don't give up hope, snuffles can be a challenge to get over, but so far so good for us!

I lost one of my rabbits earlier this year - to make a long story short there were quite a few things wrong with him, but in-between it all he got snuffles and passed it on to his brother. After Cadbury passed away we took Biscuit to the Vet several times, with no luck. He was put on Baytril first and a few others, that didn't work. After several weeks of antibiotics with no real improvement we got referred to the Royal Vet Exotic animal hospital in Camden. Traveling into London on a train with a rabbit was quite the experience but we were hopeful! They did a CT scan and some Xrays that came up clear so put him on Marbocyl which helped at first but then stopped. Back to the Vet again and they tried Zitromax as a last resort - within four days the sneezing stopped. The dosage for our 1.8kg dutch rabbit was 1.3 ml once a day for six weeks (just to be sure). He's been ok - will be taking his last dosage next week. Hopefully this is gone for good, but I wanted to share this here as I know many vets in the UK don't normally prescribe Zitromax for snuffles in rabbits, but it's been such a relief that after so long Biscuit is ok.

Just as a side note, we give him a sachet of Bio-Lapis in the morning and 1ml of Fiberplex in the evening as it did upset his stomach quite a bit, but the probiotics seem to have helped.

Don't give up hope, snuffles can be a challenge to get over, but so far so good for us!

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Thank you for sharing your experiences of dealing with snuffles. It's good to know how people have done this, because it's often a challenge for vets. I've also had snuffles buns and managed to get them snuffle free so there is hope for them all :)

I am sorry to hear you lost Cadbury but really pleased you brought Biscuit through it, and that you are here with us to share :)

I am sorry that you lost little Cadbury :cry: I have had a lot of contact with the Exotics Vets at The Beaumont in Camden this year and all the Vets have been extremely good. I am glad that you too have found they have been able to help Biscuit and I hope he remains symptom free after his treatment. Dont despair if he does have another flare up. The Vets at the Beaumont dont give up without a fight !

Back