• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rear leg amputation UPDATE Question re vaccination?

willowflower27

Mama Doe
There was a rabbit in work today having broken it's rear leg that's an understatement it's in 7 pieces she is lovely fiesty and I'm in love the owners aren't able to deal with a tripod bunny but I am willing to take her on I'm just wondering does anyone have any experience with three leg rabbits I just don't want put to sleep be the only option for her she's still eating drinking and horrendously hormonal she hasn't been spayed I'm happy to do that if she survives surgery I just hope I'm not making her suffer needlessly although it's not a new break her story keeps changing but the leg may have been broken for at least a week she just has so much spark I want to try for her sorry for the really rambling post just looking for some reassurance

Last edited:
I haven’t experienced a tripod bunny, no, but I’ve heard of many, and it sounds like they cope well. I know Jack’s Jane has had at least one tripod bunny before, hopefully she will see this and advise :thumb:

Sending lots of vibes for her, she sounds like a fighter :love:

Thank you for the vibes she is such a spirited girl I want to give her a try I've just had so much horrendous luck with rabbits in last few years I lost my two rex girls before a year old they were pets at home rabbits and they were poorly with ecuniculi from the start do I'm hoping this little lady can pull through for me

There was a rabbit in work today having broken it's rear leg that's an understatement it's in 7 pieces she is lovely fiesty and I'm in love the owners aren't able to deal with a tripod bunny but I am willing to take her on I'm just wondering does anyone have any experience with three leg rabbits I just don't want put to sleep be the only option for her she's still eating drinking and horrendously hormonal she hasn't been spayed I'm happy to do that if she survives surgery I just hope I'm not making her suffer needlessly although it's not a new break her story keeps changing but the leg may have been broken for at least a week she just has so much spark I want to try for her sorry for the really rambling post just looking for some reassurance

Hello willowflower :wave:

I have a fair amount of experience fostering and boarding amputee bunnies and they do well!

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?457769-Hind-Leg-Amputation

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/limb-loss.html

https://rabbit.org/kennys-story-adjusting-to-life-with-three-legs/

If the rabbit hasn't given up hope, then I wouldn't either :)

Thank you that's what I feel she's just not ready to give up I'm aware of surgery risks and possible complications I guess I just need a bit reassurance that it's not a horrible idea

Thank you that's what I feel she's just not ready to give up I'm aware of surgery risks and possible complications I guess I just need a bit reassurance that it's not a horrible idea

You're welcome :)

It's not a horrible idea at all!
Just be aware of the risks, the costs and the nursing afterwards - quite a bit of work, and with a savvy vet you have a great chance of giving her a new lease of life :D

I had a tripod bunny (front leg). He managed so well that even vet nurses didn't always realise he only had 3 legs until they picked him up - he was very small, black and fluffy, so it was difficult to tell just looking at him. There are some aspects of a missing leg that you will have to watch out for - mainly the ear that they can't clean, and possibly spinal / hip issues later in life. Keep them active and not overweight so they are fit and there is less stress on the remaining joints, etc. Otherwise, you probably won't really notice the difference. They can move as fast on 3 as on 4 legs, once they get used to balancing again. You just need to make sure that the wound heals nicely in the first place - so keep it clean and dry (and good luck keeping a dressing on) to stop it getting infected.

Hello, it's good to 'see' you again. I am sorry to hear of the poor wee Bunny's situation. I dont know if you remember my Harry. He had to have a hind leg amputated after sustaining a compound fracture. He was only about 6 months of age. He did really well, I actually watched the operation which was facinating. He was stable throughout and eating as soon as he woke up !

Harry lived to be almost 8. It was only in his final year that he developed some spinal problems related to him only having one back leg.

Things to be mindful of with a hind leg amputee Bunny are ear problems. The ear on the same side as the missing hind leg can get gunky.

Pododermatitis can occur on the remaining hind leg, so housing Bunny on a good substrate is essential. Non abrasive but with good traction.

Harry never had any issues keeping his bum clean, but I know of a couple of hind leg amputee Bunnies who sometimes do.

Here's the lad himself, he was a real character and only having 3 legs never slowed him down at all

cU1r62x.jpg

Hope all goes well for your Bunny. She will be in very good hands with you xx

Thank you Jane I know I've not been around much I couldn't face it after I lost the two rex girls I took on although I have been lurking in the background, Priscilla is in fit the surgery today I have everything crossed she's such a madam she deserves a chance and I'm happy to take on a three leg bunny x

I hope she comes through the surgery ok, sending lots of vibes, and hugs to you.

I’m so sorry to hear about the rex girls, you did the best you could for them xx

I had a tripod bunny (front leg). He managed so well that even vet nurses didn't always realise he only had 3 legs until they picked him up - he was very small, black and fluffy, so it was difficult to tell just looking at him. There are some aspects of a missing leg that you will have to watch out for - mainly the ear that they can't clean, and possibly spinal / hip issues later in life. Keep them active and not overweight so they are fit and there is less stress on the remaining joints, etc. Otherwise, you probably won't really notice the difference. They can move as fast on 3 as on 4 legs, once they get used to balancing again. You just need to make sure that the wound heals nicely in the first place - so keep it clean and dry (and good luck keeping a dressing on) to stop it getting infected.

Well put, especially about cleaning the ear.

One outdoor bun I knew was a match for his four-legged companion, for sure :)

Thank you Jane I know I've not been around much I couldn't face it after I lost the two rex girls I took on although I have been lurking in the background, Priscilla is in fit the surgery today I have everything crossed she's such a madam she deserves a chance and I'm happy to take on a three leg bunny x

Losing the Rex girls must have had a monumental effect on you :cry: I have really missed you and I hope that you will feel able to post updates about Priscilla x

Good luck for Priscilla's surgery today x

We have hitva hit if a snag this morning lady Priscilla has decided to go on hunger strike and when the vet listened to her abdomen zero gut sounds so we have her on loxicom, fluids and gi meds and syringe feeding in the hope she will either have surgery tomorrow or Thursday she seems otherwise happy she is running around the cage (even though she shouldn't) and is still fiesty but on discussion and given the risks associated with surgery and the fact the break isn't new we will give her some time

Just wanted to hop along and say I think it's really kind giving her a new life and taking her on. I really wish her luck with the operation and she gets an appetite soon!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Update on lady Priscilla things did not go according to plan at all today she refused to eat and had zero gut motility so after loads of meds and syringe feeding and me stressing out my mind (I've only had her 24 hours and I'm already horrendously attached to her ) she is eating some hay and has passed poo very small ones but hey I'll take it the op is postponed til Friday or if I can manage it and she can manage it next Tuesday when I contacted a rabbit savvy vet she said there was no rush as when she saw x-ray she thinks it's at least a week old fracture as bones are already trying to knit together!!! Although looking at her x-ray myself I have no idea how that will ever knit together, she also said as long as it doesn't become a compound fracture and depending on Priscilla another option would be allow it to heal by itself get some weight of her then do the amputation it all depends on my little madam I guess and how rested and comfortable I can keep her I have some decisions to make in next couple of days I'm a little worried about surgery as she was only sedated yesterday and even though she was on I've fluids and gi meds throughout she's still taken a nasty bought of stasis but i don't know how that leg is ever going to heal up, I should mention she isn't a young bunny she's around 4-6 I'm still condition amputation eventually but the fact I could potentially leave her with a deformed leg with the use of painrelief in the short term is in itself the decision I have gone for at least for the next 72 hours hopefully that's the right decision for us both although she really isn't bothered by the leg at all which I think is remarkable she's such a character sorry for the long post
I've put her x-ray up so you can see what we are dealing with and a photo of grumpy herself
850d58a754388efbe3687518980d11f7.jpg
b054851c7b5c5aa341bae86c7a349676.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Back