• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rear leg amputation UPDATE Question re vaccination?

Hi everyone she is doing fantastic we've finished the antibiotics and so far so good no signs of any sepsis or necrotic tissue, she's on a reduced amount of pain relief with the hope to stop it completely in next few days she's incredibly inquisitive and is trying how to figure out how to jump with the one back leg don't think it's going to take her long and today she's been helping (meaning making a mess) me clean her room we should get the lab results back this week with a bit of luck maybe even tomorrow
She is such a trooper I'm hopeful for a future for her although I want breathe a sigh of relief til those results come back, I'm so glad she came along just at the right time x

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Hi everyone she is doing fantastic we've finished the antibiotics and so far so good no signs of any sepsis or necrotic tissue, she's on a reduced amount of pain relief with the hope to stop it completely in next few days she's incredibly inquisitive and is trying how to figure out how to jump with the one back leg don't think it's going to take her long and today she's been helping (meaning making a mess) me clean her room we should get the lab results back this week with a bit of luck maybe even tomorrow
She is such a trooper I'm hopeful for a future for her although I want breathe a sigh of relief til those results come back, I'm so glad she came along just at the right time x

She sounds to be continuing to recover amazingly well. I really hope all the lab results will be OK xx

How wonderful!

I hope you get the lab results soon and that they are OK :)

Miss trouble maker
0188f92c893a5693516358689a0df284.jpg

The results are back and it's GOOD news although the tissue surrounding the bone had some signs of infection the bone didn't have any osteomyelitis and definitely no tumour

The results are back and it's GOOD news although the tissue surrounding the bone had some signs of infection the bone didn't have any osteomyelitis and definitely no tumour

That’s good news :thumb: I assume the infected area has been removed/any remaining will be covered by the antibiotics?

That’s good news :thumb: I assume the infected area has been removed/any remaining will be covered by the antibiotics?
Yes the margins at the top of the tissue in this case her bone was healthy and the two antibiotics she was on should be enough to sort everything else

Yes the margins at the top of the tissue in this case her bone was healthy and the two antibiotics she was on should be enough to sort everything else

That’s really good news, you must be so relieved:thumb:

Phew! So lovely to think nothing is standing in the way of her recovery.

Was it the case her previous owners thought her recovery would be too expensive or time consuming? She certainly seized this chance with both paws xx

Phew! So lovely to think nothing is standing in the way of her recovery.

Was it the case her previous owners thought her recovery would be too expensive or time consuming? She certainly seized this chance with both paws xx
Sorry for the late reply but yes the previous owners were concerned about the cost but mostly looking after a "disabled"rabbit she was there first ever bunny and she's a bit of a handful

Ok so she is doing really well and I can start thinking vaccination is there a specific way round the vaccines should be given I have read much conflicting advice myxo RHD or eravac first?

Ok so she is doing really well and I can start thinking vaccination is there a specific way round the vaccines should be given I have read much conflicting advice myxo RHD or eravac first?

I think with the current situation going on, its advised to get filivac if you can, and do that one first. it covers both RHD1 & RHD2 if I'm not mistaken. both RHD viruses are airborne, so there's nothing we can to against it to protect. myxi is mostly flies I believe, so steps can be taken to prevent it. although of course both are as important.

eravac is a different vaccine and only covers RHD2. its usually given to meat rabbits as it has a withdrawal period of 0 days, meaning that there is no wait time between having the vaccine and when the rabbit can be slaughtered. if you can only get that one, then I'm not sure what I would do first, possibly still eravac, but its a tough call.

don't quote me on it, but I do believe that eravac has only 9 months of immunity (filivac has 12), or at least that's what this link says:
https://www.ema.europa.eu/documents/product-information/eravac-epar-product-information_en.pdf

Back