• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Filavac booster advice

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
I've had a letter through saying Lopsy & Aboleth are due their Filavac: it's only been 6m, and last year I didn't get them done at 6m intervals, only at 12m. AFAIK there's no confirmed RHD2 in the area, but we do forage a lot. I got the reminder last year too, so I assume it's automated. I could get them done early, given the reports of Filavac-vaccinated bunnies dying a few months early, but I'm not sure it's worth a whole 6m early.

Opinions and advice please?

I've had a letter through saying Lopsy & Aboleth are due their Filavac: it's only been 6m, and last year I didn't get them done at 6m intervals, only at 12m. AFAIK there's no confirmed RHD2 in the area, but we do forage a lot. I got the reminder last year too, so I assume it's automated. I could get them done early, given the reports of Filavac-vaccinated bunnies dying a few months early, but I'm not sure it's worth a whole 6m early.

Opinions and advice please?

It really is a judgement call. And on the advice of a savvy vet.
The distributers have confirmed 90% efficacy, and there will always be vaccination fails with any vaccine - nothing is guaranteed.

If they were to have the Filavac every six months, that would mean a double dose of the vaccine for RHD1.
Some people have switched to Eravac, which only covers RHD2, and the duration of immunity is 9 months.

Something I've been considering is having Filavac once a year, and Eravac at the six monthly point.

Thanks MM, that's not a bad solution :) I'm definitely going to let this 'booster' slide and maybe get it done in advance of their combi in April/May.

The product information still says 12 months, and I remember looking into the trial data when the vaccine first came out and rabbits that were challenged with VHD past the 12 month mark (I believe it was around 14 months but I'm really struggling to find the data now!) were absolutely fine, so I don't see a need to do it 6 monthly unless the rabbit had a weakened immune system or say if they were in very close contact with rabbits who were suffering with/died from the disease

Back