• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do they get anything out of it?

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

We have two boys, Loki and Thor, who share a divided shed and divided run, as they are both unneutered. They are around 3 and 4 years old and we've had them for almost a year. They seem content and are happy to sit alongside each other.

I'm wondering if it's worth getting them neutered and trying to bond them, or if I shouldn't mess with their current arrangement.

Will they get anything out of living side by side, but not together, or would it be better to have them living together fully? It would mean we could take down the divisions and give them more space.

Also, is a male / male bond likely to be any more successful in that they've lived side by side for a year?

Thanks x

I would think they will get something out of living next to another rabbit, if they can see each other through the mesh, but it won’t be like the companionship of a bonded pair. If it were me in that situation,and they are outdoor bunnies, I would get them neutered and try bonding them. I had a male/male pair and they were very close, although they were brothers who had been together since birth. Some people on here have bonded 2 males successfully, others have not been successful. I think it would be worth trying, if it doesn’t work do you have other rabbits they could each be bonded to?

My quad bond (the above mentioned male pair) and my other pair (sisters) were living with runs almost touching for a while, and the bond went very smoothly:thumb: however, you never know what’s going to happen when they are introduced. you’d have to bond in a neutral place, and ensure that their accommodation was thoroughly neutralised before you put them back in.

I agree with Zoobec. They must have comfort from being in close proximity of their own kind but being properly bonded would be even better. I guess even if they won't bond they can keep their existing set up. I'd try. Good luck xx

I would recommend trying to bond them (once they’ve been neutered and the hormones have died down), or else getting a doe partner for each one.

You’ve got some time before you can bond them, so after they have recovered from their neuters I would start swapping them over into the others’ housing over daily, so each becomes accustomed to the other’s smells etc, and it might help with reducing territorial fighting when you do put them back in their house after bonding.

You will have to be very careful that bonding is on 100% neuteral ground, and you need to put aside a longer time for bonding, so that you don’t get issues when they go back into their usual housing. But really, as long as you’re careful, you have nothing to lose by trying and they have everything to gain.

I agree with other posters, also I would worry that they might be able to get together, with disastrous results, although I am sure you have made the set up safe, but accidents do happen.

Thanks for all the replies :)

I don't know how soon we might do so, but it sounds like it's worth trying. We had originally planned to have a trio with Skye, but sadly that wasn't to be :(.

Yes, we have a neutral area for bonding, so that's not a problem.

Everything's really secure for now, tonibun. We've used parts of a run to divide the shed and it's around half the height high and the run is wired down the centre with seperate top openings. Also, Lokis a Nethie and Thor is such a sleepy boy he wouldn't even bother to try :lol: x

Thor is such a sleepy boy he wouldn't even bother to try :lol: x
That was pretty much going to be my response! :love: I'd say go for it: Loki was annoying Thor when they were side-by-side for their one night here but if they've been fine for this long, no point in NOT trying it :D Best of luck when it happens :D:D:D

Back