• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Luna seems "unwell" - U/D, she's home & stoned

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
I say "unwell" as she is fine within herself - eating, digging, sassing etc. nothing is too "wrong".

I've been a bad mom, a lot has been happening and I have been busy, or struggling to get out of bed. Luna has a patch on the back of her neck that is just, bald. no dandruff. no itching. Orion is fine also, no issues. doesn't seem like over grooming neither. its not warm or bothering her, so I won't lie, I left it. it slipped my mind but its gotten worse and I'm kicking myself now. but its pointless doing so. its maybe been like this for a month or two, bad of me I know :cry:

I picked her up for a cuddle and I thought..my I can feel your spine. I tested Orion & you have to push down, he is more squidgey. but Luna.. you can just run your fingers over her and feel it. her ribs are similar, not as much "padding". but then I'll admit looking at those diagrams of a healthy rabbit weight, she looks more overweight as she is round!!!

I tried to get a picture but she didn't want to give a good example..... oh Luna :lol:
ddjiVe4m.jpg

it doesn't seem urgent as she is fine within herself, and so is her output. but I was wondering for a second opinion on that from you guys. the earliest I can do is Monday or Wednesday, Tuesday mom can't do as I rely on her for transport. I doubt they'll have any appointments for tomorrow, and sunday they are closed.

of course if it is urgent, I can try and get there tomorrow. or I can try and arrange by bus or train, but I would have to go by myself and I'm not sure if I can do that :(

she is due for a bloodtest to check kidney & liver function due to metacam (0.8 a day) for her arthritis. we did try lowering it or going every other day, but we saw her go downhill, so we've kept it where it is. I will ask for that as well to save going back. last year though she showed no issues and everything was normal, so heres to hoping.

last time in August she was 2.53kg (weighed at the vets), its rough but I just weighed me & her, and then me, and she was 2.4kg.. I know 100g isn't a lot, but its also not accurate and makes me worry.

she also seems cold a lot of the time, preferring to be in a ball. I'm not sure if this is due to her being unwell, or her arthritis, but her ears are frozen. Orion is fine, no window is open. its like she can not regulate her body temp :?

is there anything I should ask for or ask the vet to check?

giavqm4m.jpg

Last edited:
I say "unwell" as she is fine within herself - eating, digging, sassing etc. nothing is too "wrong".

I've been a bad mom, a lot has been happening and I have been busy, or struggling to get out of bed. Luna has a patch on the back of her neck that is just, bald. no dandruff. no itching. Orion is fine also, no issues. doesn't seem like over grooming neither. its not warm or bothering her, so I won't lie, I left it. it slipped my mind but its gotten worse and I'm kicking myself now. but its pointless doing so. its maybe been like this for a month or two, bad of me I know :cry:

I picked her up for a cuddle and I thought..my I can feel your spine. I tested Orion & you have to push down, he is more squidgey. but Luna.. you can just run your fingers over her and feel it. her ribs are similar, not as much "padding". but then I'll admit looking at those diagrams of a healthy rabbit weight, she looks more overweight as she is round!!!

I tried to get a picture but she didn't want to give a good example..... oh Luna [emoji38]
ddjiVe4m.jpg

it doesn't seem urgent as she is fine within herself, and so is her output. but I was wondering for a second opinion on that from you guys. the earliest I can do is Monday or Wednesday, Tuesday mom can't do as I rely on her for transport. I doubt they'll have any appointments for tomorrow, and sunday they are closed.

of course if it is urgent, I can try and get there tomorrow. or I can try and arrange by bus or train, but I would have to go by myself and I'm not sure if I can do that :(

she is due for a bloodtest to check kidney & liver function due to metacam (0.8 a day) for her arthritis. we did try lowering it or going every other day, but we saw her go downhill, so we've kept it where it is. I will ask for that as well to save going back. last year though she showed no issues and everything was normal, so heres to hoping.

last time in August she was 2.53kg (weighed at the vets), its rough but I just weighed me & her, and then me, and she was 2.4kg.. I know 100g isn't a lot, but its also not accurate and makes me worry.

she also seems cold a lot of the time, preferring to be in a ball. I'm not sure if this is due to her being unwell, or her arthritis, but her ears are frozen. Orion is fine, no window is open. its like she can not regulate her body temp :?

is there anything I should ask for or ask the vet to check?

giavqm4m.jpg
BC if there is any need to get Luna to a vet in an emergency I will take you both so please don't ever feel restricted.

My bunny who had arthritis used to bunny slipper alot, it must be very comfortable. As long as Luna is acting/pooping/eating normal I wouldn't stress her out unless you are really worried xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Also I imagine the bald patch is thanks to Orion, although I'd be interested in others opinions xx

How is her moult? My older 2 rexes tend to get a bit 'thin' round the neckline during moult season, too. Selene's is most prominent, especially as she's black. (Persephone does too, and also looks like a ball 90% of the time. We needed a little weight off her though, and succeeded. :thumb:) Elphie liked the loaf in her old arthritic age (or the DBF.)

I wouldn't say it is urgent right now, but if you're concerned a check-up wouldn't go amiss.

(Also looking cozy on your lap, awww...)

oh my, thank you Loobers :love: it means a lot, honestly. I travel to epsom.. well ewell, 10 miles or so. they are the best vet I could get, but they're very proactive and I know a lot. if I say I want this, they will do that and not talk me out of it (like some vets). of course, within reason, if I said I want Luna's legs removed for no reason they wouldn't do it!!

I did ask Orion..but he didn't seem to offer any verdict :? :lol: he just sat there and looked cute..perhaps I should be suspicious!

moulting is a good point, but Luna doesn't really moult. before I rescued her they used to bathe her in the sink in a body of water so she was almost "swimming", with dog shampoo. her coat is lovely and soft, softer than a rex's should be, but she doesn't moult. she doesn't get the tufts of fur, or the full moult. some hair comes out every now and again, but nothing much as it should be :cry: I will admit, she moulted more this year, I think only after what.. three years of being with me that she is starting to repair. first we had to repair mentally due to abuse, but her body is still suffering :( she is only four (in february 2019) and has arthritis due to being locked up for the first six months of her life. it makes me so sad :(

she does love a good cuddle. she's my go to when I need a snuggle, she seems to enjoy them often tooth purring and makign no effort. Orion on the other hand likes to lick my lips and try and dig on me :lol:

oh my, thank you Loobers :love: it means a lot, honestly. I travel to epsom.. well ewell, 10 miles or so. they are the best vet I could get, but they're very proactive and I know a lot. if I say I want this, they will do that and not talk me out of it (like some vets). of course, within reason, if I said I want Luna's legs removed for no reason they wouldn't do it!!

I did ask Orion..but he didn't seem to offer any verdict :? [emoji38] he just sat there and looked cute..perhaps I should be suspicious!

moulting is a good point, but Luna doesn't really moult. before I rescued her they used to bathe her in the sink in a body of water so she was almost "swimming", with dog shampoo. her coat is lovely and soft, softer than a rex's should be, but she doesn't moult. she doesn't get the tufts of fur, or the full moult. some hair comes out every now and again, but nothing much as it should be :cry: I will admit, she moulted more this year, I think only after what.. three years of being with me that she is starting to repair. first we had to repair mentally due to abuse, but her body is still suffering :( she is only four (in february 2019) and has arthritis due to being locked up for the first six months of her life. it makes me so sad :(

she does love a good cuddle. she's my go to when I need a snuggle, she seems to enjoy them often tooth purring and makign no effort. Orion on the other hand likes to lick my lips and try and dig on me [emoji38]
I have to say... My rexes don't really moult normally... Clementine just gets some tufts too [emoji38] Idk if that normal or not..?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I have to say... My rexes don't really moult normally... Clementine just gets some tufts too [emoji38] Idk if that normal or not..?

My 3 had a seriously bad moult this year, but yeah, usually it's not as noticeable as rabbits with a 'regular' coat. H, Sea, and Seffy all had that bad moult at exactly the same time too. But previously, just the occasional tuft and nary a moult line to be seen!

I did ask Orion..but he didn't seem to offer any verdict :? :lol: he just sat there and looked cute..perhaps I should be suspicious!

she does love a good cuddle. she's my go to when I need a snuggle, she seems to enjoy them often tooth purring and makign no effort. Orion on the other hand likes to lick my lips and try and dig on me :lol:

Poor thing. Lucky she has you though. :love: Makes me slightly nervous for Persephone's future though - I rescued her 2.5 years ago from being kept in a hamster cage with a no-hay diet. :( We guess she'll be 3 by January but as she was abandoned, we don't really have a clue...

shuffled some things around and Luna is booked in on tuesday at 12pm..feels so far away but she seems ok within herself, I am hoping its something and nothing.

Luna seems to moult more with like..some fluff that comes out with your hand but never a proper moult like my other boys have done.

I hope your little one doesn't end up like Luna, but hers was a combination of bad breeding, a bad start to life and bad nutrition. I'm surprised there isn't "more" wrong with her :(

we’re on our way to the vets, I gave her a heat pad as she seems very cold. of course she can get off if needed, but she looks like “screw you but thanks” [emoji23] she’s such a grumpy mare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we’re on our way to the vets, I gave her a heat pad as she seems very cold. of course she can get off if needed, but she looks like “screw you but thanks” [emoji23] she’s such a grumpy mare.

Hope it goes well :)

Luna is down from 2.5kg to 2.2kg, she weighs the same as Orion which isn't right as he is way smaller than her :( she's lost 300grams which is 1/10th of her body weight.

the bare patch on her neck is unexplainable. theres never been any redness, or itching, or over grooming. its perfectly healthy skin. this might be a cause of her being washed every day with soap, as this is her first proper moult, so the fur is just flying out. who knows, it should grow back in though.

her sore hocks are now nice and fluffy again, so that's a plus.

buuuut she needs a dental :( all on her left side she has plenty of spurs and they're starting to rub into her tongue. we think its the stress of the building work that has been going on since march. we're semi detached but there has been plenty of banging, vibrations etc that are scaring her. and she can't see so she's even more terrified. I'm picking up some pet remedy refills from the vet on thursday as its cheaper than P@H.

her dental is on thursday morning, she needs a blood test to check how she is on the metacam, but they'll do the pre surgery bloods to check everything, and then go ahead. Orion will be with her, though I am sure he would jump ship if he could, and she'll have an entire bag full of goodies.

I trust them with my all, I know if something goes wrong they'll do their damndest to make sure she is okay.

I'm gonna see if I can claim via pet plan which I think I can, as always at the vet she's had dental checks, and we're taking immediate action, and she's never needed a dental before.

Luna is down from 2.5kg to 2.2kg, she weighs the same as Orion which isn't right as he is way smaller than her :( she's lost 300grams which is 1/10th of her body weight.

the bare patch on her neck is unexplainable. theres never been any redness, or itching, or over grooming. its perfectly healthy skin. this might be a cause of her being washed every day with soap, as this is her first proper moult, so the fur is just flying out. who knows, it should grow back in though.

her sore hocks are now nice and fluffy again, so that's a plus.

buuuut she needs a dental :( all on her left side she has plenty of spurs and they're starting to rub into her tongue. we think its the stress of the building work that has been going on since march. we're semi detached but there has been plenty of banging, vibrations etc that are scaring her. and she can't see so she's even more terrified. I'm picking up some pet remedy refills from the vet on thursday as its cheaper than P@H.

her dental is on thursday morning, she needs a blood test to check how she is on the metacam, but they'll do the pre surgery bloods to check everything, and then go ahead. Orion will be with her, though I am sure he would jump ship if he could, and she'll have an entire bag full of goodies.

I trust them with my all, I know if something goes wrong they'll do their damndest to make sure she is okay.

I'm gonna see if I can claim via pet plan which I think I can, as always at the vet she's had dental checks, and we're taking immediate action, and she's never needed a dental before.

Aaawww good luck for her dental :)

thank you x I am worried but I think that’s normal.

she’s on extra pellet rations and i’m currently buying some baby food, to make sure she keeps eating as i’m low on critical care. I brought little jars of basically just smoothie (it looks kinda good) [emoji28][emoji38]

Good luck for the dental BC, it sounds like she's In very good hands though

thank you Loobers, I hope Dennis does okay too x will be thinking of you.

I know Luna is in the best hands possible and they know what they're doing. won't stop me from being a mom though!! :lol:

packing her bag now [emoji27] even though she’s in the best hands I’m stressing!

Back