• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spencer again

I lost a pets at home rabbit to stasis, but they couldn't work out why she wasn't eating, as in what the underlying cause was. I really am wondering about pets at homes stock :/

It's such an awful thing to happen :'( I'm just wondering I guess how many pets at home rabbits make it to old age...? Maybe I'm being unfair there.

I wish there was something I could say, but this is a heartbreaking thing to go through :'(

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OMG, I am so sorry.

For what it's worth, you did exactly the right thing for him. Just so sad i'm starting to cry.
Please pm me your bank details or phone #. I would like to make a small contribution to your c/card bill.

Last edited:
I’m so very sorry :cry: you did everything you could for him. I hope the PM gives you some answers.

Binky free Spencer xx

The vet called about 5 minutes ago, sadly Spencer has passed away.

She said that he was hypoglycaemic and despite everything they tried his condition just kept deteriorating.

His body temperature also kept dropping, even when they had him on heat pads etc to warm him up.

They can’t say anymore about what might have caused this, but I will call our vets at 9 and ask about a PM.

We’ve had two rabbits that have passed away in the space of 4 days, both going down hill really quickly.

I am upset, but not as upset as I was last night worrying about him, or as I was when Frank died.

We did everything we could, he was in the vets where he was getting the best possible care. And what is important to me, while he might not have had his mum and dad there at least he wasn’t alone in the dark.

RIP Spencer rabbit, you were an awesome (if a little grumpy) dude, but you can go and hang out with Frank and eat all of the tastiest grass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5fddf697b30ce1d7066823357477f4f8.jpg

I am so very sorry to hear this :cry:

My wife left for work at 6 so I’m at the vets with my father in law waiting to see someone about a PM.

The nurses were shocked, they all knew Frank and Spencer.

I have a copy of his treatment notes.

His glucose was normal when tested at 23:00, he was taking syringe feeding well.

He was fed at midnight, 1am, and 2am. He was bright and jumping around but still not producing faeces and had poor gut sounds.

He deteriorated at 4am, his glucose had dropped to 2.3. They gave him glucose and antibiotics and initiated warming.

He continued to deteriorate and at 6am was very lethargic and had passed 2 poops.

He passed away at 07:20

Our vets don’t do PMs so they are trying to find out costs etc and how they go about getting one done.

I'm very sorry that you have now lost Spencer and I think your wife is quite right not to consider more rabbits until you find out what happened to Frank and Spencer.
Such a very sad time. I hope you get the answers you need. :cry:

Thanks.

The vets have him now, and they will call when I can go and pick him up.

He is going next to Frank, they were together for their whole lives, it’s only right that they should be together now.

It could take a week or two before we get the lab results back, and I need to find their vaccination books, the vets computer system has them down as having had RHD twice, instead of RHD and RHD2.

Thanks.

The vets have him now, and they will call when I can go and pick him up.

He is going next to Frank, they were together for their whole lives, it’s only right that they should be together now.

It could take a week or two before we get the lab results back, and I need to find their vaccination books, the vets computer system has them down as having had RHD twice, instead of RHD and RHD2.

I do hope that you get some answers as to 'why'. Of course nothing can bring Frank or Spencer back, nothing can lessen the immense grief you and your Wife are enduring. But in my experience having some explanation as to why a beloved Rabbit /Rabbits was/ were taken so unexpectedly makes coping with the grief marginally more doable.

It is utterly tragic to have lost your two Rabbits and my heart goes out to both you and your wife x

Thanks everyone, I managed to find their vaccination records, they’d been tidied away.

This is Spencer’s, and it doesn’t look right to me.

I know the vets will need to take a look, and we won’t know whether their deaths had anything to do with RHD2, but why would they get the same thing twice?

f01871b56588fd53079eae9f0152a083.jpg

Thanks everyone, I managed to find their vaccination records, they’d been tidied away.

This is Spencer’s, and it doesn’t look right to me.

I know the vets will need to take a look, and we won’t know whether their deaths had anything to do with RHD2, but why would they get the same thing twice?

f01871b56588fd53079eae9f0152a083.jpg

Oh no, it looks like they have given the same injection twice instead of RHD2??

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Back