• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spencer again

Sending loads and loads of vibes for Spencer. I too sharethe thoughst of those posting before me and that as costly as it is, getting Spencer seen urgently is paramount for any treatment. I really really hope that the outcome is positive. Hugs and vibes for you and Spencer xx

We haven’t been seen yet, but I did get some licks, and he has eaten some kale. But, not with his normal vigour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We haven’t been seen yet, but I did get some licks, and he has eaten some kale. But, not with his normal vigour.

Loads of vibes, I hope he'll be okay xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Sending lots of love & vibes for spencer!! I hope he's okay! X

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

Thank you all.

I opted for him to stay in over night, they will check his glucose etc and then decide on a course of treatment.

She said his teeth and mouth looked OK, but his stomach wasn’t making as much noise as it should, and that he had some pain response while checking his gut.

When we went with Frank we weren’t given that option, and my wife feels let down as she doesn’t think the vet we saw on Tuesday did everything she could for Frank.

Thank you all.

I opted for him to stay in over night, they will check his glucose etc and then decide on a course of treatment.

She said his teeth and mouth looked OK, but his stomach wasn’t making as much noise as it should, and that he had some pain response while checking his gut.

When we went with Frank we weren’t given that option, and my wife feels let down as she doesn’t think the vet we saw on Tuesday did everything she could for Frank.

It is possible that your losing Frank shortly after his emergency exam could have caused this vet to want to monitor Spencer more closely than they may have done otherwise; so perhaps the loss of Frank will allow the vets to save Spencer.
I have had multiple bunnies ill at the same time with the same symptoms with different results. I am sending you and your wife some positive vibes that the you will be fortunate enough to enjoy many long years with Spencer.

We still have a vet appointment tomorrow are 10:15, and providing everything is ok with Spencer tonight I’m going to see if it can change from just getting a RHD2 booster to also a consult.

We’ve had 3 visits to the emergency vets, 2 admissions and 1 unexpected death in 2 weeks. The boys were absolutely fine (as far as we can tell) before this, so I want to speak to the vet about possible thing which might have precipitated this.

I know that it could be like looking for a needle in a haystack, but even if I can get some ideas of environmental factors to look at we can remove or at least mitigate some potential risks.

I know that you are probably going out of your mind with worry and thinking about the ifs and buts, but you have done everything you could for your boys, and I’m thinking of you and sending lots more vibes for Spencer xx

I do hope Spencer has improved overnight. With regards to the Vaccinations, you say that they were due their RHD2 vaccines, so was it just the Nobivac Myxo-RHD that has been given so far ? IE neither Spencer or poor Frank had had their Filavac/Eravac RHD2 Vaccine ? If neither Spencer or dear Frank have been vaccinated with either Filivac or Eravac I'd flag that up with the Vet ASAP this morning.

Sending lots of get well vibes for Spencer xx

The vet called with an update a little while ago.

He had low glucose, so they gave him some stuff to raise that, and he hasn’t pooped yet, but has had diarrhoea and they have started him on antibiotics, in case he has an infection.

They are going to call with another update before I go to pick him up and take him to our regular vet later on.

It’s not a great update, but at least he is in the right place, and is getting the help he needs.

The vet called with an update a little while ago.

He had low glucose, so they gave him some stuff to raise that, and he hasn’t pooped yet, but has had diarrhoea and they have started him on antibiotics, in case he has an infection.

They are going to call with another update before I go to pick him up and take him to our regular vet later on.

It’s not a great update, but at least he is in the right place, and is getting the help he needs.

I do hope that he can pull through. Did the vet mention the possibility of Coccidiosis ?

https://www.criver.com/sites/default/files/resources/RabbitcoccidiosisTechnicalSheet.pdf

Hopefully the abx prescribed will be a Sulphonamide which would cover for treating Coccidiosis.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Coccidiosis_Hedgehog.htm

I don’t think so, it was quite a quick update.

I’ll get more info during the next update, and when I go to pick him up later.

I’m glad I decided to go with advice here and take him to the vets. I hope that we can find out what has been causing all the problems of late and finally put a stop to this.

Both of them were fine all through last winter and through the summer, and aside from the normal stuff like vaccinations haven’t had to go to the vets.

The vet called about 5 minutes ago, sadly Spencer has passed away.

She said that he was hypoglycaemic and despite everything they tried his condition just kept deteriorating.

His body temperature also kept dropping, even when they had him on heat pads etc to warm him up.

They can’t say anymore about what might have caused this, but I will call our vets at 9 and ask about a PM.

We’ve had two rabbits that have passed away in the space of 4 days, both going down hill really quickly.

I am upset, but not as upset as I was last night worrying about him, or as I was when Frank died.

We did everything we could, he was in the vets where he was getting the best possible care. And what is important to me, while he might not have had his mum and dad there at least he wasn’t alone in the dark.

RIP Spencer rabbit, you were an awesome (if a little grumpy) dude, but you can go and hang out with Frank and eat all of the tastiest grass.

5fddf697b30ce1d7066823357477f4f8.jpg

Last edited:
I had two pets at home bunnies Millie was a year and a half old who died of stasis over night and then Toby was very poorly with his heart and then died.

I think it's wise to do bloods and x rays etc because he could be hiding anything. Tobys heart was picked up on xray as he kept going into stasis after the loss of Millie. I think if their is a under lying health issue it's made much worse by the loss of a friend

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm so very sorry :'(

I think a pm is a good idea, hopefully it'll give you some answers :( xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Oh no :,( I'm sorry. Maybe agree to do a PM or send off for a possible virus like RHD2?

What ifs and what happends are really hard to live with. Especially if you ever want bunnies again

I'm sorry this has happened to you. Binky free little ones xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Thanks you all.

The last couple of weeks has been a really rollercoaster. Who would have thought that two tiny balls of fluff would have given us so much pleasure, and caused us so much pain.

I would not be against getting some more rabbits in the future, my wife won’t even consider it before we find out what happened to these two.

I will stay on the forums, and I will keep people updated with what we may or may not learn.

Back