• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spencer again

zarathustra

Warren Scout
I’m really sorry, maybe I’m worrying about nothing, but now Spencer isn’t eating and is acting weird, aside from a couple of pieces of kale he hasn’t eaten anything since I’ve been home.

He let me stroke him then he ran away and hid in the tunnel that connects the hutch to the run.

When he came out he was just sitting in various corners of the run. He let me pick him up without any resistance, which is completely unlike him.

He is inside on the sofa and he’s sat with his head in the corner, eyes half open not moving.

He won’t touch his nuggets, dried forage, kale, or banana.

I don’t know what to do, we can’t afford to keep going to the out of hours vet, and it didn’t help Frank who died a couple of hours after getting home.

I really don’t know what to do, I can’t lose Spencer as well, I don’t know if it is just depression because of Frank, or if they both have something wrong with them.

He was absolutely fine this morning, this is killing me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

does he feel cold? can you try and mash up some pellet and force feed him? and if possible can you clean out any and all poops, so you can monitor output?

some just can have a quiet day, but if he isn't eating anything, and nothing is coming out, sadly it is a cause for concern and you need to head to the vet again.

I am sorry, you can not seem to catch a break :( rabbits are very fragile, in a span of half an hour something can go wrong.

How would I go about force feeding him.

We are already booked in at the vets tomorrow morning, but if it’s the same thing that Frank had he won’t last that long.

He does feel quite cold, but I don’t know if that is because he’s been outside all day.

my advice

get him to vet tonight

if you can't, make sure you will be able to tell if he eats, drinks, poos & wee's & stay up with him all night.
how much he does of each of the eat drink poo wee will tell you how much to worry. anything less than 2 out of 4 over the night is cause for concern.

whatever the result, get him to the vet in the morning.

I'd take him to a vet personally.

Syringe feeding - vets will have critical care and the large syringes for feeding.

So if they give you gut meds and send you home ask for that aswell and how much they'd suggest you feeding and how often.

Sorry be seems unwell :(

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I’m really sorry Spencer is giving you cause for concern [emoji17]

I know from my own experience how hideously expensive the emergency vets are but in your position I would try and get him seen tonight. The quicker you can nip potential stasis in the bud the better. If he doesn’t improve overnight and you have to take him to the vet tomorrow morning he may have to be admitted which will end up costing you a lot more in the long run.

If you can get him seen tonight, I would ask for a really thorough examination: tummy, ears, teeth, temperature and a blood glucose test to rule out a blockage. Make sure to get pain relief (ask for metacam. Some vets will give an injection of vetergesic, an opiate that makes some bunnies extremely drowsy which will make it harder for you to monitor his true condition), gut stimulants and recovery food (plus syringes) as you may need to syringe feed him overnight.

Sending lots of vibes for Spencer. And also for you and your wife. Bunnies seem to have an awful habit of getting sick at really bad times and it does take a toll emotionally and financially. You really don’t need this so soon after losing Frank [emoji17]

you would need syringes, most people use 15ml recovery ones, they're always handy to have in stock, but I appreciate you don't have any right now. but if you can, order some critical care and recovery syringes, much cheaper than through a vet.

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Supreme-Recovery-Feeding-Syringe/c27167/
https://www.viovet.co.uk/Oxbow-Crit...?sct_t=1539977291&sct_q=critical+care&sct_r=1

for the moment, do you have any syringes lying around from medicine? they will work.

get some pellet, if you have a blender you can blend it into a fine powder. could break the blender but mine was so cheap it doesn't matter for me. if not, boil some water, add it to some pellet in like a cereal bowl or something. I break mine up and mash it the entire time, but others leave them to soak for an hour or so. if you can get it into a paste, mine will sometimes eat it from the spoon, or you need to suck it up via syringe and force it into their mouth. but as you don't have recovery food this can be a bit more difficult. if you can blend it into a paste, just add water until its able to be sucked up into a syringe.

if you can, and if there are stores open (my sainsburys is right now) go to sainsburys and get some of ellas baby food. get the veggie ones (no potato) and offer them some, either via a syringe or on a spoon. they're not ideal, critical care would be better due to fibre, but its to keep his stomach moving.

if you have any metacam, I would be inclined to give some as it wouldn't do any harm.

the reason why stasis kills is because of the gas buildup, the stomach doesn't stop because there is no food in it, hence why they need to keep eating. the gas builds up and spreads to other organs and eventually causes mass organ failure. or, it can be a blockage.

fair also about being cold due to outside, I forgot about that so ignore it.

I’m really sorry Spencer is giving you cause for concern [emoji17]

I know from my own experience how hideously expensive the emergency vets are but in your position I would try and get him seen tonight. The quicker you can nip potential stasis in the bud the better. If he doesn’t improve overnight and you have to take him to the vet tomorrow morning he may have to be admitted which will end up costing you a lot more in the long run.

If you can get him seen tonight, I would ask for a really thorough examination: tummy, ears, teeth, temperature and a blood glucose test to rule out a blockage. Make sure to get pain relief (ask for metacam. Some vets will give an injection of vetergesic, an opiate that makes some bunnies extremely drowsy which will make it harder for you to monitor his true condition), gut stimulants and recovery food (plus syringes) as you may need to syringe feed him overnight.

Sending lots of vibes for Spencer. And also for you and your wife. Bunnies seem to have an awful habit of getting sick at really bad times and it does take a toll emotionally and financially. You really don’t need this so soon after losing Frank [emoji17]

I agree about the vetergesic - I really dislike it for a bun with stasis and would avoid it

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I am really sorry that Spencer is unwell again. From your description I would say he definitely needs vet attention asap. Sending him lots of vibes.

I’m so sorry Spencer is poorly:cry: if I were you I would get him to the vet tonight, personally.

Sending lots of vibes for him xx

I agree with everyone else but wanted to send you lots of vibes xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I agree with everyone rose but wanted to send you lots of vibes xxx

We are at the out of hours vets again, for the third time in two weeks.

It’s a job for the credit card, but there is at least an hours wait.

Please know i totally 100% understand the stress and upset you are going through right now and my thoughts are with you tonight xxx

Please now i totally 100% understand the stress and upset you are going through right now and my thoughts are with you tonight xxx

you're doing the best thing.

wishing you well. please let us know what the vet says.

Oh no I am so very sorry to hear this.

Sending you all the vibes the world for Spencer.

I hope the vet can sort this for you.

Thanks everyone, I never thought I’d have got so attached to the boys, but I’m in bits.

Earlier today we were looking at potential friends for Spencer, and I had tomorrow all planned out.

I know that after Frank I need to accept that they might not be able to help him, but I don’t think I could live with myself if I didn’t do everything I can to help him.

I hope I’m worrying about nothing

Back