• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which Hutch is beatbox Struggling!!

Hi Everyone,

We have reserved or first bunny and I am struggling to find anywhere online or nearly that sells or makes a 5ft hutch and bigger I preferably want one without a run attached single storey on legs.

Could anyone also help with what we will need as in the basics we have dish, bottle, hay and Carefresh.

Thank you so much

Have a look at the Chartwell hutches. Boyles make hutches as well. I would go for a 6' hutch rather than 5' as you may want to introduce another rabbit in the future. You will need to keep your bunny on the same food as he is eating now as a change of food could make him ill. You can gradually cha ge him over to a different food later on. Have you got a litter tray to encourage him to be litter trained. If you put some hay in this will help. Find out when you go to pick up bunny if he has been eating any vegetables, so you can continue giving him little pieces. It is important to try and find a Rabbit savvy vet and book him in for his vaccinations. He will need one vaccination for Myxomatosis/RHD1 and then 2 weeks later a second vac for RHD2. What breed is your future bunny?

Hi
Thank you so much for all the advice, the Chartwell 6ft hutch looks brilliant I think we will be going with that, Boyles have gone out of business )-: I have had such a struggle everywhere seems to sell 4ft hutches it small cages there really ain’t much choice with Rabbit housing which is really sad .
The pet shop owner said we will have to buy the same pellets he had been on, I will get a litter tray I have been reading up about the litter training l. Can you suggest the best type of hay to buy ?.

I will look into getting a vet for the vaccinations too, he is a Netherland dwarf rabbit in a smokey grey he is gorgeous

Thanks again

good quality hay is the main thing. Many of our buns are hooked on hay from www.timothyhay.co.uk. Bowls are beter than bottles - heavy duty ceramic ones. Big litter trays with loads of hay . I echo the imp of vaccs - I'd start with RHVD2 which is rife in the UK :)

Good luck

I live on an Island and have never been able to have the hutches or playhouses that I see advertised. A Netherland Dwarf (Nethie) will have plenty of space in a 6' hutch and you will possibly need a cover if it is going to be outdoors. A playhouse is so much better if you have space and funds as it gives more protection from the weather and predators. They last a lot longer too. I don't know if the Pet shop used wood shavings but it is not a good bedding for rabbits as it can cause respiratory problems etc.

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum :)

We got our first hutch / run from www.homeandroost.co.uk. It's still going strong, albeit partly dismantled, in that the hutch is now in a large run and the run is a shed divider lol :lol:. I'd advise going straight for a playhouse or shed though if you can. We've upgraded over time and all ours now have these and it's better all round.

Do you plan on getting a seperate run? I have to disagree with tonibun (sorry tonibun :oops:) in that the hutch alone will be enough! Have you seen www.runaround.co.uk we have some, it's great.

Also, for bedding you could try www.fitchfirst.co.uk.

Yes, definitely get jabs as a priority!

Good luck x

Even though he is a small rabbit, if he is anything like my tiny bunny, he will need a lot of space, my bunny is very active, quite acrobatic, and loves to jump on and off things, so a shed with a tall run attached would be best, failing that a 6ft hutch with attached run. He will need a friend if he is going to be an outdoor rabbit. I think I would go for the rhd2 jab first as that is rife, but then again there is also a lot of myxomatosis around too :cry:

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the reply’s

I have a limited amount of space I have a 9ft width by 11ft long and 6ft wide........would it be okay to just get a large hutch say a 7ft x 3ft x 3ft or a 8ft x 3 x 3 double or is it still adviseable to have a run attached at all times ?.

Thank you

You could go for a shed with attached aviary, or put a wendy house inside an aviary. It would give you much better access to your rabbit(s) and they would have plenty of permanent space. Have a look for aviary panels online.

Back