• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Peeing on the sofa :(

I don't know which of my two boys is doing it, but SOMEONE keeps peeing on the sofa when left unattended. They NEVER do it when we are in the room, occasional poops but never pee. This latest patch is taking effort to clean up, it's left a cloudy mark on the fabric. I can do things like cover the sofa, ban them etc but that doesn't necessarily address WHY they do it. We are going away for 5 days soon and having a rabbit sitter pop in to feed them and play, and I'd love to give them free roam but I don't think it would be fair to ask her to clean up pee from naughty rabbits!

For clarity they are about 9 month old neutered brothers, fully vaccinated etc and it fine health, they are big boys and still growing, eating, drinking and doing everything else normally......

I don't know which of my two boys is doing it, but SOMEONE keeps peeing on the sofa when left unattended. They NEVER do it when we are in the room, occasional poops but never pee. This latest patch is taking effort to clean up, it's left a cloudy mark on the fabric. I can do things like cover the sofa, ban them etc but that doesn't necessarily address WHY they do it. We are going away for 5 days soon and having a rabbit sitter pop in to feed them and play, and I'd love to give them free roam but I don't think it would be fair to ask her to clean up pee from naughty rabbits!

For clarity they are about 9 month old neutered brothers, fully vaccinated etc and it fine health, they are big boys and still growing, eating, drinking and doing everything else normally......

It's a habit you definitely need to discourage and fast and firmly :) Apparently it can take as long as three weeks tor sort an issue like this, even when it's just begun, so the sooner the better.

I would (somehow or another) NOT allow access onto the sofa. Have a look at these links and see whether there's something you feel you can implement:

http://rabbit.org/faq-training/

This is an especially good article, I think :)

http://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-behavior/top-bunny/

Yes I would make it easy for the rabbit sitter as you may come back to dried stains which may be very difficult to remove.

Of course, it's a good idea to make sure neither of them has a Urinary Tract Infection, but if they are specifically weeing on the sofa, then it may be a case of 'one upmanship' with the humans ...

Last edited:
It's a habit you definitely need to discourage and fast and firmly :) Apparently it can take as long as three weeks tor sort an issue like this, even when it's just begun, so the sooner the better.

I would (somehow or another) NOT allow access onto the sofa. Have a look at these links and see whether there's something you feel you can implement:

http://rabbit.org/faq-training/

This is an especially good article, I think :)

http://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-behavior/top-bunny/

Yes I would make it easy for the rabbit sitter as you may come back to dried stains which may be very difficult to remove.

Of course, it's a good idea to make sure neither of them has a Urinary Tract Infection, but if they are specifically weeing on the sofa, then it may be a case of 'one upmanship' with the humans ...

It's only on soft things, the sofa, blankets etc, they pee normally in their trays too. I think they maybe associate soft things with the toilet? Who knows. It's definitely not always in the same spots or in corners.

It's only on soft things, the sofa, blankets etc, they pee normally in their trays too. I think they maybe associate soft things with the toilet? Who knows. It's definitely not always in the same spots or in corners.

Not all bunnies pee on soft stuff, but if they do, it's a hard habit to break ..

Yes, I have found the same!
Me too. The only way to stop them is not letting them on the sofa. We actually had to wrap our sofa in sticky plastic so when they jumped up they would just jumped back off again. We only took it off Christmas day when we had guests! House bunny life

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Use white vinegar and water to wipe your sofa. It will remove the cloudy mark and neutralise any smell.

Our Pip was peeing on our new sofa and it was definitely her way of telling us it was hers. We just kept cleaning it straight away and never left her unattended until she got the message it was ours. I had to gently push her off the sofa a few times when she looked like her tail was lifting. Haha

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Ah, nightmare!

We recently brought Jester home to bond with Blossom and they live in my bedroom. Blossom has never shown any interest in jumping on the bed, but he loves it.

Luckily he's been perfect, so far, but it's always in my mind that he could decide to. They have four litter trays :lol: so I'm hoping odds on they'd use them instead! x

We're getting some waterproof plastic sheeting today so hopefully even if they do pee on the sofa while we're gone, it won't be nice for them to sit in and also it will be easier to clean up.

Back