• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch Repairs and/or Replacement Parts

zarathustra

Warren Scout
My wife and I are fairly new to rabbit ownership, and unfortunately when we adopted our boys last year she got a Bluebell Hideaway Hutch from Pets at Home (it was her present from her dad, they were her birthday bunnies) which I know isn't ideal.

It was lasted quite well, although I have my eyes on something from Manor Pet Housing. But, we've recently spent £500 on a run for them, and with the recent amount that has had to be spent on medical care money is short at the moment.

So, I need to look at keeping the existing hutch seviceable for as long as possible.

It is not doing too badly, the floors are OK, and the doors etc while a bit nibbled are fine. The problem is the ramp which goes from the ground floor to first floor. They have managed to chew away a couple of the rungs (for want of a better word) so I need to get this sorted as I don't want Spencer to hurt himself.

I was trying to see if I could find out what company makes these to see if I could just order a replacement ramp, but it looks like it is a generic P@H hutch. Could anyone advise on what types of wood would be safe for me to use for the repairs, and any recommended ways of attaching the new rungs?

The originals are attached with staples (I have removed the exposed ones from the missing rungs already) but the wood of the ramp looks to be too thin for screws, and I wouldn't risk any sort of glue due to potential toxicity.

My wife and I are fairly new to rabbit ownership, and unfortunately when we adopted our boys last year she got a Bluebell Hideaway Hutch from Pets at Home (it was her present from her dad, they were her birthday bunnies) which I know isn't ideal.

It was lasted quite well, although I have my eyes on something from Manor Pet Housing. But, we've recently spent £500 on a run for them, and with the recent amount that has had to be spent on medical care money is short at the moment.

So, I need to look at keeping the existing hutch seviceable for as long as possible.

It is not doing too badly, the floors are OK, and the doors etc while a bit nibbled are fine. The problem is the ramp which goes from the ground floor to first floor. They have managed to chew away a couple of the rungs (for want of a better word) so I need to get this sorted as I don't want Spencer to hurt himself.

I was trying to see if I could find out what company makes these to see if I could just order a replacement ramp, but it looks like it is a generic P@H hutch. Could anyone advise on what types of wood would be safe for me to use for the repairs, and any recommended ways of attaching the new rungs?

The originals are attached with staples (I have removed the exposed ones from the missing rungs already) but the wood of the ramp looks to be too thin for screws, and I wouldn't risk any sort of glue due to potential toxicity.

I'm not expert, but I would assume anything that is safe for human babies would be safe for pets, as babies like to chew on things as well. If I am wrong in this, PLEASE correct me so I am not giving out bad advise.

You could make some new floating stairs (easy to clean) and attach them to the back of the hutch - look up rabbit safe woods. I know mdf isn't safe as the glue in it is toxic. Natural pine would be okay, ply wood too I think :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'm not great at diy, but, I think I can give it a bash, might be better for him to hop up steps than to slide down a ramp, and might provide more space.

Has anyone had any experience with these:

https://www.hoppingmaduk.com/product-page/hopping-mad-floating-stairs
No but I think someone on here owns that shop :D

That's the kind of thing I was thinking about tbh :) I have no experience buying from them though, but they do look good!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Back