• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update, Evan Stasis again 12/9 Need positive vibes

My vet was off on Friday and they have not been able to replace the second rabbit vet in the practice. I asked about having a blood glucose test done. Even though the other dog/cat doctor was not aware of the value of the glucose in rabbits; they had no objection to having the technicians running the glucose test even though I would not get a professional opinion on the results. I took him and his test result was almost the same as in October when the result suggested he was not obstructed. At 5pm Evan passed one oblong poo. He also had what looked like a couple pea sized matter that looked more like uneaten critical care on his fur. I was hoping I would see more poo or see him eating; but that is not happening.
He is not cooperating with the syringe feeding. During his latest feeding, it took me an hour to give him 10cc of critical care. When I put him on the floor for a moment, he ran away from me so I worry that he hates me. He still has a lot of matter in his system that he needs to pass; so we can both use some extra vibes.

I am sorry I have missed the most recent updates and even more sorry to hear that Evan is still not improving. I assume that the Vet checked Evan's teeth, ears, bladder and took his temperature as part of the examination ?

Sending millions more vibes for him xx

My vet was off on Friday and they have not been able to replace the second rabbit vet in the practice. I asked about having a blood glucose test done. Even though the other dog/cat doctor was not aware of the value of the glucose in rabbits; they had no objection to having the technicians running the glucose test even though I would not get a professional opinion on the results. I took him and his test result was almost the same as in October when the result suggested he was not obstructed. At 5pm Evan passed one oblong poo. He also had what looked like a couple pea sized matter that looked more like uneaten critical care on his fur. I was hoping I would see more poo or see him eating; but that is not happening.
He is not cooperating with the syringe feeding. During his latest feeding, it took me an hour to give him 10cc of critical care. When I put him on the floor for a moment, he ran away from me so I worry that he hates me. He still has a lot of matter in his system that he needs to pass; so we can both use some extra vibes.

Sending loads of vibes for your little chap.

Strength for you, bunny momma x

I am sorry I have missed the most recent updates and even more sorry to hear that Evan is still not improving. I assume that the Vet checked Evan's teeth, ears, bladder and took his temperature as part of the examination ?

Sending millions more vibes for him xx

Saturday morning I got him into regular vet. He has a lot of material in his cecum and now he has a yellow liquid diarrhea. Vet took a sample and said normal; so side effect from cisapride. He has some small points on his teeth; but nothing that would explain his not having interest in eating anything. He was having discomfort when vet examined him even though he was not due for more Medicam for a few hours (based on max 12 hour dosage). He got all his morning/early afternoon meds and fluids. He and I can both use a break before we do another syringe feeding session. It can be so stressful for both of us.

Sending loads of vibes for your little chap.

Strength for you, bunny momma x

Thank you. I dread the next syringe feeding. This morning vet say he may the bulk of more feeding to help the existing material move along, so I know it is his only chance to recover. After three days of this I am losing hope of him recovering and it breaks my heart because he has always been such a sweet adorable bunny.

Back