• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update, Evan Stasis again 12/9 Need positive vibes

He is still sneezing, and it is sounding like a honking and with less watery discharge than before. The more I think about it, the more I think it is related to his chewing/eating. He was surrounded by hay even during this last stasis episode and he did not sneeze until he actually began eating the hay. I am wondering if a head X-ray to check his teeth roots would be beneficial in the near future. His tooth look good on conscious exam; but we all know that is not always be enough. I am not positive, but I think he stopped sneezing when he got stasis and stopped eating which was before I gave Medicam or any other meds so I do not think the meds caused him to stop sneezing. I know for sure he started sneezing again when he was still getting Medicam so it is unlikely that had any impact on his sneezing episodes,

Evan is such a gentle soul and he is so small so it is hard not to worry.

Tooth roots may be an issue. Does he have a very flat face (Brachycephalic) ? Tooth root problems can be more common in brachycephalic Rabbits.

Tooth roots may be an issue. Does he have a very flat face (Brachycephalic) ? Tooth root problems can be more common in brachycephalic Rabbits.
Being a dwarf bunny his face is flatter than other breeds. He is also very small even for a dwarf so there is not much space between one feature and the next.

Last edited:
Evan is still sneezing. On the plus side, Evan is eating a lot of hay and all his greens. Yesterday I did not give him any sub Q fluids and he drank less than a quarter ounce in 24 hours.

Evan is still sneezing. On the plus side, Evan is eating a lot of hay and all his greens. Yesterday I did not give him any sub Q fluids and he drank less than a quarter ounce in 24 hours.

I'm glad to hear he's still eating well, but problem with the sneezing still.

Sending vibes for him. Are you feeling a bit better in yourself now?

Well I am glad that he's eating. Is he maintaining his weight OK ?
Hello Jane,

A couple days after he got past his stasis, he was eating enough hay for a much larger bunny so his weight is good. This morning he got a bunch of hay from my spouse and then he got another bunch from me hours later. Evan may have to join your Lord Herbert at a support group for hayaholics.
His sneezing continues.

I'm glad to hear he's still eating well, but problem with the sneezing still.

Sending vibes for him. Are you feeling a bit better in yourself now?

Yes, he continues to sneeze. He continues to eat.
I still have discomfort and restrictions and am doing my best to take it slow per my last doctor's visit.

I have not heard Evan sneeze for over a day. He stopped sneezing last time when he had the stasis and stopped eating/drinking; then the sneezing started again when he improved and was eating/drinking again.
Perhaps he wore done his teeth a little due to his eating lots of hay; or maybe an allergen in the air is less due to the days and days of rain--or perhaps the rain is adding extra humidity to the indoor air too.

I have not heard Evan sneeze for over a day. He stopped sneezing last time when he had the stasis and stopped eating/drinking; then the sneezing started again when he improved and was eating/drinking again.
Perhaps he wore done his teeth a little due to his eating lots of hay; or maybe an allergen in the air is less due to the days and days of rain--or perhaps the rain is adding extra humidity to the indoor air too.

Sending vibes for Evan x

Last night he started to sneeze after his daily litter box cleaning and being fed fresh hay and greens. Everything is the same so this is a mystery.

Is his respiratory rate normal- ie not fast and/or laboured, especially when he is lying down .

Hello Jane,

He is breathing normally, even when he is lying down. From what I can see, he does not sneeze when he is resting.
His sneezing sounds a little like a honk.

Since my last post Evan stopped, restarted, and stopped sneezing again. I still have not figured out what is causing his allergies. He is such a sweet bunny as is his brother Dash.
If it is an allergy perhaps he is developing some resistance.

Could it be due to pollens in the air? It’s a mystery! I hope he stays sneeze free :thumb:

Since my last post Evan stopped, restarted, and stopped sneezing again. I still have not figured out what is causing his allergies. He is such a sweet bunny as is his brother Dash.
If it is an allergy perhaps he is developing some resistance.

What a mystery :?

Back