• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update, Evan Stasis again 12/9 Need positive vibes

Is moving him to another room the cause of his upset? You don't over-feed Dandelions do you as they are high in Calcium I believe. I hope he feels more like eating today - he is obviously a very sensitive bunny.

I appreciate the suggestions.
He did not produce any poos and he is uncomfortable. His gut also feels like he has matter retained.
Overnight I slowly gave him all of the normal medications and fluids. His brother lives 2 feet away and was giving him encouragement so I left him for almost two hours before I checked on him. Then I gave him about 10ml of critical care (not an easy task).
He is still in the living room near his brother, Dash. I don't think he got too many dandelions; however, I do not know the appropriate amount for a little bunny who is less than 2 lbs. Would calcium cause stasis?
I wonder if he got stressed when my sister was helping me vacuum and dust the area several hours earlier. (we did move Evan and Dash several feet away from where we were working.) Evan seemed fine until much later.

Last edited:
I spent most of last night treating Evan for stasis. He got Medicam, motility meds, fluids, and critical care. As soon as I was able, I called the vets and I was able to get the only available appointment by rescheduling my own doctor's appointment (thankfully they did not charge me a late cancellation fee when I called one hour before my scheduled time).
Vet gave him a close exam and had techs draw a small amount of blood for blood glucose test to check for obstruction. Doctor also wanted him to have more fluids (he absorbed the amount I gave him a few hours earlier) so he also had the tech give him some warm fluids. He was a very good boy and both techs fell in love with my little fellow. Evan's glucose showed his was 7.1 after converted from our units.
Vet also recalculated dosages for his motility and pain . I am glad he can have more pain relief, yet he is still uncomfortable. He has a warming pad covered in a few layers of towels under part of the area where is usually sits to give him some additional relief if he wishes.

I am hoping he will improve because he is such a precious boy and his brother Dash is hopping around trying to get Evan's attention.

When he got and awful case of stasis in January I came so close to losing my boy that I am very worried. Please send us both some positive vibes.

I spent most of last night treating Evan for stasis. He got Medicam, motility meds, fluids, and critical care. As soon as I was able, I called the vets and I was able to get the only available appointment by rescheduling my own doctor's appointment (thankfully they did not charge me a late cancellation fee when I called one hour before my scheduled time).
Vet gave him a close exam and had techs draw a small amount of blood for blood glucose test to check for obstruction. Doctor also wanted him to have more fluids (he absorbed the amount I gave him a few hours earlier) so he also had the tech give him some warm fluids. He was a very good boy and both techs fell in love with my little fellow. Evan's glucose showed his was 7.1 after converted from our units.
Vet also recalculated dosages for his motility and pain . I am glad he can have more pain relief, yet he is still uncomfortable. He has a warming pad covered in a few layers of towels under part of the area where is usually sits to give him some additional relief if he wishes.

I am hoping he will improve because he is such a precious boy and his brother Dash is hopping around trying to get Evan's attention.

When he got and awful case of stasis in January I came so close to losing my boy that I am very worried. Please send us both some positive vibes.

Oh poor Evan. I do hope that by now he is doing a bit better ? Sending millions of vibes for him xx

Sending lots and lots of vibes for Evan, I really hope he starts to improve today

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Loads and loads of vibes for him

Thank you all.

My spouse got home late and gave Evan some side rubs and hugs. Evan was moving his body up and down like he was bearing down or trying to pass something and he also made a large pee on a towel on spouse's lap. I could feel more and more material on Evan's left side and it was getting more compacted.
He got plenty of fluids and the maximum meds vet calculated throughout the night. Syringe feeding was a struggle again because he was using his little tongue to push the syringe and critical care out of his mouth, over and over again, so it took me about 45 minutes to get 10cc's into this little guy. He did not want me to clean off his chin and neck so I did my best to clean him up before I put him home at 4:00 am.
I checked him about 30 minutes later and he managed to pass 4 oval/moist poos and some jelly/mucus. He still had a lot of material in his gut and was not eating or drinking on own; yet I was encouraged enough to got to sleep for a few hours. Spouse checked him before 7am and woke me to update me that Evan looked brighter and nibbled very small piece of hay. When I checked Evan at 8:30am I was planning on giving him more meds before I saw several more oval/moist poos. Evan was nibbling (in slow motion) his hay and greens.

At 1pm I gave him some good hugs (he gave me a couple licks so I may be forgiven for the overnight critical care episode) after I cleaned his area and gave him fresh hay/greens so I can better monitor for fresh poos. I can still feel a lot of material in his cecum so he got more fluids and meds before he went back to his nice clean area. Now I am hoping he will continue to move along material and that he eat and continue to pass the poos so his cecum can return to normal size.

I’m glad he’s seeming brighter, and managing to pass food through, sending lots more vibes that he continues to improve and poo more xx

It sounds as though things have started to shift through. As you know from past experience it can take a few days for things to really get back to what is 'normal' for Evan. Hopefully the improvement will continue, he is certainly receiving great care from you xx

Thank you all.

My spouse got home late and gave Evan some side rubs and hugs. Evan was moving his body up and down like he was bearing down or trying to pass something and he also made a large pee on a towel on spouse's lap. I could feel more and more material on Evan's left side and it was getting more compacted.
He got plenty of fluids and the maximum meds vet calculated throughout the night. Syringe feeding was a struggle again because he was using his little tongue to push the syringe and critical care out of his mouth, over and over again, so it took me about 45 minutes to get 10cc's into this little guy. He did not want me to clean off his chin and neck so I did my best to clean him up before I put him home at 4:00 am.
I checked him about 30 minutes later and he managed to pass 4 oval/moist poos and some jelly/mucus. He still had a lot of material in his gut and was not eating or drinking on own; yet I was encouraged enough to got to sleep for a few hours. Spouse checked him before 7am and woke me to update me that Evan looked brighter and nibbled very small piece of hay. When I checked Evan at 8:30am I was planning on giving him more meds before I saw several more oval/moist poos. Evan was nibbling (in slow motion) his hay and greens.

At 1pm I gave him some good hugs (he gave me a couple licks so I may be forgiven for the overnight critical care episode) after I cleaned his area and gave him fresh hay/greens so I can better monitor for fresh poos. I can still feel a lot of material in his cecum so he got more fluids and meds before he went back to his nice clean area. Now I am hoping he will continue to move along material and that he eat and continue to pass the poos so his cecum can return to normal size.

Vibes for his continued recovery, and also that he stop worrying his momma, because she needs to get better herself!

Thank you all.

Evan is improving which means I can rest easier even though he still is not drinking water. While I have stopped syringe feeding, I know from the past to continue the fluids, some motility meds, and medicam until he is fully recovered. This morning Evan came begging for greens and was eating them from my hand so it made me smile. Of course, his brother Dash was not letting Evan have all the fun.
What is interesting is Evan did not sneeze when he was in stasis; but now he is doing the occasional sneezing again. It makes me wonder if his sneezing is related to his eating (or pooing- but I think it would be strange if he was allergic to his own poo) which makes me wonder if it is from his chewing the hay or from him putting his nose in the hay. He is not a dental bunny and only two years old. He also is grooming himself again too.

Thank you all.

Evan is improving which means I can rest easier even though he still is not drinking water. While I have stopped syringe feeding, I know from the past to continue the fluids, some motility meds, and medicam until he is fully recovered. This morning Evan came begging for greens and was eating them from my hand so it made me smile. Of course, his brother Dash was not letting Evan have all the fun.
What is interesting is Evan did not sneeze when he was in stasis; but now he is doing the occasional sneezing again. It makes me wonder if his sneezing is related to his eating (or pooing- but I think it would be strange if he was allergic to his own poo) which makes me wonder if it is from his chewing the hay or from him putting his nose in the hay. He is not a dental bunny and only two years old. He also is grooming himself again too.

So relieved to read that Evan is doing a lot better now. He probably isn't drinking as he does not feel thirsty due to his SQ fluids. Your theory re his sneezing being related to the hay seems a possibility. I know for a fact that I react to some hays and not others.

Thank you all.

I'm pleased to hear that he's doing better now.

So relieved to read that Evan is doing a lot better now. He probably isn't drinking as he does not feel thirsty due to his SQ fluids. Your theory re his sneezing being related to the hay seems a possibility. I know for a fact that I react to some hays and not others.

He is still sneezing, and it is sounding like a honking and with less watery discharge than before. The more I think about it, the more I think it is related to his chewing/eating. He was surrounded by hay even during this last stasis episode and he did not sneeze until he actually began eating the hay. I am wondering if a head X-ray to check his teeth roots would be beneficial in the near future. His tooth look good on conscious exam; but we all know that is not always be enough. I am not positive, but I think he stopped sneezing when he got stasis and stopped eating which was before I gave Medicam or any other meds so I do not think the meds caused him to stop sneezing. I know for sure he started sneezing again when he was still getting Medicam so it is unlikely that had any impact on his sneezing episodes,

Evan is such a gentle soul and he is so small so it is hard not to worry.

Back