• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Erasmus Chipper

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
...has lost a lot of weight. Everything about him is otherwise ok (eating well, clean butt, full of energy etc.)

He's booked in for a blood test tomorrow.

I wish this was a better update. But there's no miracles in sight for this poor lad of mine.

Erasmus Chipper is not long for this world.

He is a slip of his former self, just under 1.4kg. (He should be around 2kg.) Our poor vet tried her hardest in multiple ways, but simply couldn't draw blood from the little lad. It could be dehydration, but more likely low blood pressure. The other exotic vet at the practice had noted that 'Mus presented as older than his alleged age. That was nearly a year ago, now.

Our best guesses? Either some kind of organ failure (or multiple organ failure), cancer, or a combination of the above. Whatever the cause, it is related to age. As we have no reference pointing in one way or another, it is literally guesswork.

She left the catheter in to give us the option of euthanasia there and then. He is that poorly.

I declined. I can't say if that is selfishness on my part or no. The problem is, he still presents as his usual energetic, cheerful self. He still eats like a horse. He still drinks. He still charges around. He's thick as thieves with Neo, and loves his girls. He was less stressed at the vets than Athena was today. As soon as he was back in the crate, he was eating hay again.

So, we are literally just monitoring his condition day by day. It's all we can do. He's a little old fellow. How old, we don't know. Either he'll take himself away in the comfort of his gang. Or, if the time comes, and he lets us know, we know where our vet is.

It's only been 2 weeks to the day since we lost Elphie. And I'm having to face up to the loss of such a wonderful bunny again, so soon after that devastating loss.

This is so, so hard to watch. But as long as he is being well, chipper, I don't want to let Erasmus go. HE doesn't know he's terminal. That's something I have to face for him.

Last edited:
Posted on Facebook already,poor Erasmus one of my fav buns on here.I love Tri coloured lops.Life is unfair,I hope he keeps as Comfortable as possible . Hugs for you too x

I am very sorry to read this sad update :cry: I hope that Erasmus can remain as comfortable as possible for the time she has remaining xx

Oh I'm really so sorry to read this update :( That's very sad :(

As you say, he knows nothing of this, which is comforting, but it must be very distressing for you.

Aww well at least he seems to be in good spirits in himself and not showing signs of distress so I think you're doing the right thing by taking him back home for now x

:,( nooo this is not what you need. I'm so sorry to hear this news. I really feel for you

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I am extremely saddened to read this. After all you've gone through recently, this is not what you need. But you are doing all you can for 'Mus' and you've made him comfortable and with his familiar surroundings. Our little companions are so fragile and yet they make such a strong bond between us and them. Sending you vibes for Erasmus and I hope that you can continue to spend as much time with him as possible. xx

I wish this was a better update. But there's no miracles in sight for this poor lad of mine.

Erasmus Chipper is not long for this world.

He is a slip of his former self, just under 1.4kg. (He should be around 2kg.) Our poor vet tried her hardest in multiple ways, but simply couldn't draw blood from the little lad. It could be dehydration, but more likely low blood pressure. The other exotic vet at the practice had noted that 'Mus presented as older than his alleged age. That was nearly a year ago, now.

Our best guesses? Either some kind of organ failure (or multiple organ failure), cancer, or a combination of the above. Whatever the cause, it is related to age. As we have no reference pointing in one way or another, it is literally guesswork.

She left the catheter in to give us the option of euthanasia there and then. He is that poorly.

I declined. I can't say if that is selfishness on my part or no. The problem is, he still presents as his usual energetic, cheerful self. He still eats like a horse. He still drinks. He still charges around. He's thick as thieves with Neo, and loves his girls. He was less stressed at the vets than Athena was today. As soon as he was back in the crate, he was eating hay again.

So, we are literally just monitoring his condition day by day. It's all we can do. He's a little old fellow. How old, we don't know. Either he'll take himself away in the comfort of his gang. Or, if the time comes, and he lets us know, we know where our vet is.

It's only been 2 weeks to the day since we lost Elphie. And I'm having to face up to the loss of such a wonderful bunny again, so soon after that devastating loss.

This is so, so hard to watch. But as long as he is being well, chipper, I don't want to let Erasmus go. HE doesn't know he's terminal. That's something I have to face for him.

Always harder for the carer :cry:

Love and hugs for you T xx

I'm so sorry, such sad news :( From your description of him, I would have done the same and brought him home, I hope he remains comfortable for some time to come xx

I, too, would have brought him home to enjoy being spoiled for a while. He sounds a real character :love: xxx

Thank you all so much. :love:

'Mus is still very bright this morning. He was last through the pipe to the 'feeding' run. But then he seemed like he was getting deliberately getting under foot - he tripped River up in order to get to pellets. I'm glad people think I have made the right decision, and that theyy may have made the same choice too. He looked so sad in Z's arms yesterday, I nearly did veer the other way. It's one of those cases where I'll continually second-guess myself. At least, this morning, he still seems happy enough.

Back