• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking After A Rabbit Who Has Lost His Friend

zarathustra

Warren Scout
Sadly we lost our lovable scamp Frank this morning.

And we are left with Spencer, who has gone from having his best friend around 24/7 to being outside on his own.

I know that we need to keep a close eye on him to make sure he doesn't stop eating, he has been doing OK so far this morning, but I know it is going to be a long process.

Aside from hiring a psychologist who speaks rabbit, is there anything we can do to help Spencer, such as more stuff for him to play with and keep him entertained, or is it just a case of aside from keeping an eye on him to make sure he's eating etc to let him get on with things in his own way?

I know the fold standard solution would be to eventually get Spencer a new friend, and obviously we aren't going to rush into anything yet, but this looks unlikely as neither the wife nor I know anything about rabbit bonding, and in anycase we don't have the space or facilities to keep two bunnies separate.

Any advice would be gratefully received, we want to make sure that we give Spencer as much help as we can.

Sadly we lost our lovable scamp Frank this morning.

And we are left with Spencer, who has gone from having his best friend around 24/7 to being outside on his own.

I know that we need to keep a close eye on him to make sure he doesn't stop eating, he has been doing OK so far this morning, but I know it is going to be a long process.

Aside from hiring a psychologist who speaks rabbit, is there anything we can do to help Spencer, such as more stuff for him to play with and keep him entertained, or is it just a case of aside from keeping an eye on him to make sure he's eating etc to let him get on with things in his own way?

I know the fold standard solution would be to eventually get Spencer a new friend, and obviously we aren't going to rush into anything yet, but this looks unlikely as neither the wife nor I know anything about rabbit bonding, and in anycase we don't have the space or facilities to keep two bunnies separate.

Any advice would be gratefully received, we want to make sure that we give Spencer as much help as we can.
I'd probably clean the area so he's not smelling the other rabbit, and maybe change up his environment, provide things to do, like stuffing hay and treats in cardboard tubes etc, scatter feed him. Anything to keep him active.

Regarding a friend, you could find a rescue centre that would bond him to another bun for you, so all you'd need to do is neutralise the bunny home whilst he was away finding a new friend. So you wouldn't have to worry about the bonding or extra space needed for housing them separately.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I’ve started having a look for rehoming places and there are a few that are local to us.

We aren’t going to rush into anything, so no knee jerk reactions, but, if we can find a place where they can help with the bonding that would be ideal.

I don’t think Spencer will enjoy the single life, unless he became a house rabbit.

In terms of cleaning, I under stand that, what would you suggest for getting rid of Franks scent etc? He (I keep typing they) has a wooden hutch so there will be stuff that has soaked in, for want of a better word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I’ve started having a look for rehoming places and there are a few that are local to us.

We aren’t going to rush into anything, so no knee jerk reactions, but, if we can find a place where they can help with the bonding that would be ideal.

I don’t think Spencer will enjoy the single life, unless he became a house rabbit.

In terms of cleaning, I under stand that, what would you suggest for getting rid of Franks scent etc? He (I keep typing they) has a wooden hutch so there will be stuff that has soaked in, for want of a better word.

Ofc I completely understand - it's really hard.

For cleaning - white wine vinegar is great for cleaning and neutralising scents (for bonding too) you can get big bottles of it cheaply like 5L ones, I also bought a cheap spray bottle and I fill bottle half up with the vinegar then the rest with water so you have a 50/50 mix. It's a great, cheap cleaner anyway it's great at getting pee stains off things [emoji38] smells like vinegar obviously but as it dries the scent goes when it evaporates off :)

Thanks, the wife an I are going to buy Spencer some new toys and new hidy house etc to help keep him occupied, I like the idea of cardboard tubes filled with hay and stuff as well, I assume just normal empty toilet or kitchen rolls are suitable?

I'm afraid cleaning the hutch will need to wait until the weekend, but as long as the weather is OK I'll have a full day to make sure everything is as clean as possible, and to start looking at making some repairs where the boys had eaten/chewed some of the steps on the ramp up to the first floor.

The wife has had to go out for a while with her mum, which was arranged yesterday before Frank got poorly. But she reports that Spencer had just eaten some carrot and seemed a little "confused" but not in too bad spirits.

I don't suppose you, or any one else, could recognise a good rescue centre in Kent that could help with bonding if/when we look at getting Spencer a new friend? The boys came as a pair, and considering how young they were when they were adopted, and the fact they came from Pets at Home, this is probably the longest he's been away from Frank.

Also, is there a time limit before we should look at the possibility of finding a new friend for Spencer. Having never had to do this before I don't know if there is a recommended amount of time we should before looking, or whether its a case of the sooner the better.

generally its always suggested to give them lots to do as a distraction. new toys, puzzles, maybe tubes stuffed with tasty forage and hay etc. give them an extra bit of TLC too, maybe an extra pellet slipped in or a treat ;) I spoiled Luna rotten, but I felt she deserved it lol.

depending on your bun, try offering a stuffed toy. they often enjoy cuddling up to it. make sure it doesn't have the plastic eyes and is all fabric. many love having one to cuddle up too. espcially if its their sizeish. I offered Luna a seal, she hid it under the dining room table, and would often take back treats, hay and herbs to it to eat, almost an "offering". Snoopy (while bonded) had an attachment to a small plush puppy, he wanted it everywhere with him and if he snuggled down, he'd dig it into his snuggle place.

as long as bun is eating and well within himself, please do not feel guilty for holding out for a few weeks. ofc if he becomes visibly depressed (unwilling to eat, move, seems dull in character) you need to get a bun ASAP. but for me, I waited 9 months as the grief was too rife. I knew that if I adopted a bun before then, I would be looking for "Snoopy" and would not bond with the bun or wouldn't like them because it wasn't Snoopy. 9 months is a long time, but I also wanted Luna to be more confident within herself as she was blind (I only found out after Snoop's death), and Snoopy was her crutch/her eyes. I wanted her to feel more independent so that should something occur, she isn't as grief stricken and terrified and losing her eyes, I hope.

sending good vibes for you in this tough time x

generally its always suggested to give them lots to do as a distraction. new toys, puzzles, maybe tubes stuffed with tasty forage and hay etc. give them an extra bit of TLC too, maybe an extra pellet slipped in or a treat ;) I spoiled Luna rotten, but I felt she deserved it lol.

depending on your bun, try offering a stuffed toy. they often enjoy cuddling up to it. make sure it doesn't have the plastic eyes and is all fabric. many love having one to cuddle up too. espcially if its their sizeish. I offered Luna a seal, she hid it under the dining room table, and would often take back treats, hay and herbs to it to eat, almost an "offering". Snoopy (while bonded) had an attachment to a small plush puppy, he wanted it everywhere with him and if he snuggled down, he'd dig it into his snuggle place.

as long as bun is eating and well within himself, please do not feel guilty for holding out for a few weeks. ofc if he becomes visibly depressed (unwilling to eat, move, seems dull in character) you need to get a bun ASAP. but for me, I waited 9 months as the grief was too rife. I knew that if I adopted a bun before then, I would be looking for "Snoopy" and would not bond with the bun or wouldn't like them because it wasn't Snoopy. 9 months is a long time, but I also wanted Luna to be more confident within herself as she was blind (I only found out after Snoop's death), and Snoopy was her crutch/her eyes. I wanted her to feel more independent so that should something occur, she isn't as grief stricken and terrified and losing her eyes, I hope.

sending good vibes for you in this tough time x

Thanks, I like the idea of a stuffed toy.

We adopted a kitten when I was at school who used to cry all night, so my sister gave her a little teddy to sleep with, she carried around with her in the house for years.

As for another bun, yes, we will see how things go. We have the space for 2, but it’s just the bonding we can’t do.

I think I’m being a bit over protective of Spencer now.

Thanks, I like the idea of a stuffed toy.

We adopted a kitten when I was at school who used to cry all night, so my sister gave her a little teddy to sleep with, she carried around with her in the house for years.

As for another bun, yes, we will see how things go. We have the space for 2, but it’s just the bonding we can’t do.

I think I’m being a bit over protective of Spencer now.

understandable - many rescues will do bonding. I do not know of any in the kent area however as I am not from there :( I just know for me, I'd like a few weeks of grieving, I would feel weird instantly having another one. but thats me :)

Thanks, the wife an I are going to buy Spencer some new toys and new hidy house etc to help keep him occupied, I like the idea of cardboard tubes filled with hay and stuff as well, I assume just normal empty toilet or kitchen rolls are suitable?

I'm afraid cleaning the hutch will need to wait until the weekend, but as long as the weather is OK I'll have a full day to make sure everything is as clean as possible, and to start looking at making some repairs where the boys had eaten/chewed some of the steps on the ramp up to the first floor.

The wife has had to go out for a while with her mum, which was arranged yesterday before Frank got poorly. But she reports that Spencer had just eaten some carrot and seemed a little "confused" but not in too bad spirits.

I don't suppose you, or any one else, could recognise a good rescue centre in Kent that could help with bonding if/when we look at getting Spencer a new friend? The boys came as a pair, and considering how young they were when they were adopted, and the fact they came from Pets at Home, this is probably the longest he's been away from Frank.

Also, is there a time limit before we should look at the possibility of finding a new friend for Spencer. Having never had to do this before I don't know if there is a recommended amount of time we should before looking, or whether its a case of the sooner the better.
Yes kitchen roll and toilet roll tubes work great for it.

I don't know any in Kent but I know a lady who will bond in Essex, she isn't a rescue centre though. If I was you I'd just contact a few places and see if they'll also be willing to bond with one of their rescues.

I know of Foal Farm in Biggin Hill in Kent, that's where I got my two from. Not sure what their facilities are like for bonding but worth a try. Sorry you lost your bunny so suddenly, it's always a shock.

You could look on rabbit rehome for a rescue centre near you, if no one recommends anywhere.

Thanks all, I had a look over lunch, I will start sending out a few emails to test the waters with regards to bonding etc.

My wife has been keeping an eye on Spencer today and he has been happily munch hay, nuggets, forage, kale and carrot.

He has been keeping his distance from us today, although he did give me licks when I got home.

He is booked in for his 6 month RHD2(I think) jab on Saturday, so he won’t be my friend after that, but I going to spend a minimum of 2 hours sat in the run with him. I’ll be reading a book and he can do his stuff.

I will also start swapping out some of the old toys and stuff over the next few weeks.

He is going to be such a spoilt bunny.

Last edited:
My wife has been out today, and she has just got home and said that Spencer bit her. She said it was just a nip, but then he ran into the tunnel that connects the hutch and run, although he is now back in the hutch munching hay.

He has never bitten me, although I have had a few scratches when trying to catch him to take him to the vets etc, and I don't recall him ever having bitten my other half before. He can be a bit of a drama queen sometimes stamping his feet etc, but I've never seen him act in an aggressive manner before.

Could this be part of the grieving process, maybe he remembers we took Frank away and he never came back, or is he just being a jerk?

I know it is impossible to say before, but it is a change in behaviour that we haven't seen before.

So I have had a think over lunch about this.

Spencer seems to be "fine" with the loss of Frank, he is eating like a horse and seems to have a bit of timothy hay hanging out of his mouth almost constantly, however he was never very sociable with us, and this seems to have gotten worse, he will retreat into a corner if we try and stroke him while he is in the hutch, but, he is happy to give out licks and receive nose rubs, but only on his terms, which is fair enough.

Due to work and other stuff we haven't had the chance to go give the hutch and run a proper good clean out, and I wonder whether the smell of Frank is making him a bit confused, he has stopped using the litter tray, and has started going around it.

He is booked in for his RHD2 booster tomorrow morning, so I am going to get to P@H tonight to get a couple of bits and bobs, some replacement toys etc. Then tomorrow morning I will give him breakfast al fresco, and keep him in the run so I can give the hutch a really good clean out and treat it with white vinegar and then leave it to dry while at the vets.

When we get back I'll replace some of the existing toys with the new ones and then we can gradually swap stuff out as we go.

I've fired off emails to all of the local rabbit rescues I could find to ask about bonding etc, as even if they don't do it they might be able to recommend someone who does.

So I have had a think over lunch about this.

Spencer seems to be "fine" with the loss of Frank, he is eating like a horse and seems to have a bit of timothy hay hanging out of his mouth almost constantly, however he was never very sociable with us, and this seems to have gotten worse, he will retreat into a corner if we try and stroke him while he is in the hutch, but, he is happy to give out licks and receive nose rubs, but only on his terms, which is fair enough.

Due to work and other stuff we haven't had the chance to go give the hutch and run a proper good clean out, and I wonder whether the smell of Frank is making him a bit confused, he has stopped using the litter tray, and has started going around it.

He is booked in for his RHD2 booster tomorrow morning, so I am going to get to P@H tonight to get a couple of bits and bobs, some replacement toys etc. Then tomorrow morning I will give him breakfast al fresco, and keep him in the run so I can give the hutch a really good clean out and treat it with white vinegar and then leave it to dry while at the vets.

When we get back I'll replace some of the existing toys with the new ones and then we can gradually swap stuff out as we go.

I've fired off emails to all of the local rabbit rescues I could find to ask about bonding etc, as even if they don't do it they might be able to recommend someone who does.
Sounds like a good plan :)

He may be more nervous because he's now alone and more scared - not suggesting he's scared of you - but they take a lot of comfort in groups I think, and sometimes mine act differently apart as opposed to when they're with their bonded friend.

My boy bun, is a bit of a wreck without his friend, so it could be something like that - it'll improve tho, plus a new friend will hopefully give him more confidence also. If he's okay in himself eating etc I wouldn't worry too much, it's a big adjustment for him.

Sounds like a good plan :)

He may be more nervous because he's now alone and more scared - not suggesting he's scared of you - but they take a lot of comfort in groups I think, and sometimes mine act differently apart as opposed to when they're with their bonded friend.

My boy bun, is a bit of a wreck without his friend, so it could be something like that - it'll improve tho, plus a new friend will hopefully give him more confidence also. If he's okay in himself eating etc I wouldn't worry too much, it's a big adjustment for him.

Yeah I thought it might be something along those lines, I gave a spot clean this morning, cleaning out the area where the litter tray and stuff is, and he had a little bit of a stamp afterwards. Frank was always the first to investigate when something changed and Spencer would always follow him.

Yeah I thought it might be something along those lines, I gave a spot clean this morning, cleaning out the area where the litter tray and stuff is, and he had a little bit of a stamp afterwards. Frank was always the first to investigate when something changed and Spencer would always follow him.
Yea he may just be the less confident character, and he needs a confident buddy :) you're doing a great job - he's lucky to have you :)

Yea he may just be the less confident character, and he needs a confident buddy :) you're doing a great job - he's lucky to have you :)

Thanks, I hope so.

Spencer having to spend the night in hospital a couple of weeks ago, and then losing frank so suddenly has given me a bit of rabbit anxiety now, always worrying about whether he is OK, and whether I am doing the right things. I have a bit of trouble with depression and anxiety, and watching the boys play always used to cheer me up.

I'll be spending more time with him from now on, we have a very large run so there is room for me to sit in there and read a book so that he can get used to my presence etc.

Spencer is now hiding in the tunnel that attaches the hutch to the run, I can’t even tempt him out with nuggets.

I’m hoping that I just annoyed him by giving him strokes so he’s gone away so I leave him alone.

He has been pooping and peeing, and has been eating (or he was this morning).

We have the vets tomorrow so I can speak to them then, but I hope he isn’t going the same way as Frank, I don’t think I could take losing both of my boys in less than 3 days

my Poppy lost her companion & she seemed a lot more anxious. I think they need a friend, if only for the extra pair of eyes as they are a prey animal. although a sad time for you after losing Frank i would deffo recommend investigating getting a companion for Spencer. perhaps a female?

my best wishes to you & Spencer

Back