• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny lost interest in nuggets

Thanks everyone,

It’s been a difficult day, and I have an absolutely banging headache.

We laid Frank to rest in the inlaws garden earlier tonight, at about 19:30. He was wrapped in a lovely comfy warm fleece blanket, and his resting place has been marked with two lovely heathers that he would have loved to have hidden behind.

He was a special chap, and even though he was only with us for a short while (their 1 year anniversary date is next Tuesday) he will be missed, and I don’t think he will ever be forgotten.

It’s still hard to believe he is gone, and I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure out what could have caused his illness. And I know taking him to the vet was the best thing to do, but part of me wonders whether that may have hastened his passing.

I’m not suggesting any sort of negligence, but whether the stress of having his temperature taken and bloods done etc, or whether he had a reaction to the pain meds he was given.

I know that knowing won’t change anything, but I don’t like not knowing why something has or hasn’t happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really sorry you lost Frank. In my view, it could of been anything wrong with Frank. Bunnies hide things so well until they stop eating. I know what it's like to loose young bunnies too, it's really awful. Take comfort in the fact you took Frank to the out if hours, that's all we can really do in these emergency situations. Sending lots of love to you and your wife xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm really sorry you lost Frank. In my view, it could of been anything wrong with Frank. Bunnies hide things so well until they stop eating. I know what it's like to loose young bunnies too, it's really awful. Take comfort in the fact you took Frank to the out if hours, that's all we can really do in these emergency situations. Sending lots of love to you and your wife xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I know what you mean, but I am one of those people who needs the answers, but it isn’t always a good thing.

Thanks everyone,

It’s been a difficult day, and I have an absolutely banging headache.

We laid Frank to rest in the inlaws garden earlier tonight, at about 19:30. He was wrapped in a lovely comfy warm fleece blanket, and his resting place has been marked with two lovely heathers that he would have loved to have hidden behind.

He was a special chap, and even though he was only with us for a short while (their 1 year anniversary date is next Tuesday) he will be missed, and I don’t think he will ever be forgotten.

It’s still hard to believe he is gone, and I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure out what could have caused his illness. And I know taking him to the vet was the best thing to do, but part of me wonders whether that may have hastened his passing.

I’m not suggesting any sort of negligence, but whether the stress of having his temperature taken and bloods done etc, or whether he had a reaction to the pain meds he was given.

I know that knowing won’t change anything, but I don’t like not knowing why something has or hasn’t happened.

This is such a difficult time for you both. Yes, taking him to the vet was absolutely the very best thing you could have done. You would have been beating yourself up forever if you hadn't. Having temperature taken, and bloods, would not have been enough to cause him to go downhill. I don't know what pain meds he was given, but this also should not affect a rabbit in any way such as happened with Frank.

The fact he went so fast would suggest to me that he was hiding something from you all.

Bless him. I hope Spencer is OK, and sending my hugs to you and your wife

We went to bed at midnight, I had to go to bed as I have work in the morning, my wife asked if she should stay up with him but we didn’t have any liquid food or anything that we could sort of “force” him to eat so I told her to come to bed as well.

I woke up at about half 5 and went down to check on him. And he was laid out on the floor of the cage.

I feel so bad, but I don’t know what else we could have done for him. We took him to the vets, they gave him pain meds, they gave him a ranitidine injection, checked his glucose, checked his temperature, checked his heart, checked his gut.

Everything was fine except he was a bit gassy.

He was very lethargic when we bought him home, just laying down not moving, but we put that down to the pain meds he was given making him a bit drowsy, and possibly the stress of having his temperature taken and having some blood taken.

I was expecting to go down stairs and see him sat there with some kale or hay hanging out of his mouth with a look that says “what’s all the fuss about?”

The worst part is how do we yell Spencer? All he will know is that his mum and dad took his best friend away, and didn’t bring him back.

Sorry I’m rambling on a bit

I am so very sorry for your loss. You did everything you could do for him and it is highly unlikely that sitting awake with him would have changed the outcome. Given how ill he was, additional handling may have made him uncomfortable. You went out of your way to take him to the vet for a professional opinion and according to what you said he got appropriate care, including pain meds which eased his suffering. Sending you, your wife and Spencer my condolences.

Thanks everyone, it is a new day, and while Frank is gone we will never forget him.

The wife and I will cope, I think I was more upset than she was.

Spencer seems to be getting on with life, he’s excited for food, and seems to be eating lots of hay and drinking water. Although he looks a bit lonely now, sitting in a huge run on his own.

We will keep an eye on him as much as we can, although he will be home alone tomorrow as we will both be out at work.

Back