• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny lost interest in nuggets

zarathustra

Warren Scout
So after Spencer had his bit of attention seeking a couple of weeks ago now it is franks turn.

He wasn’t interested in his nuggets this morning, he hopped straight past the bowl this evening.

It doesn’t look like much of the hay has been eaten, but it’s hard to tell and I’ve been at work all day.

We have at least been able to get him to nibble some Kale several times tonight and my wife gave him some kale today while I was at work.

He isn’t quite himself, but he isn’t as bad as Spencer was when he was ill.

I’ve made sure they have access to plenty of lovely fresh hay, they have plenty of water and we are going to give him more kale later.

We will be keeping an eye over night and will see how he is in the morning when we will decide what to do. Our vets do emergency appointments but you have to phone as soon as they open in the morning.

I know it isn’t ideal, but the out of hours vets will be £160 just to be seen, when Spencer was in over night it cost nearly a grand.

He is pretty active, not his normal nudgy self, but he isn’t huddled in a corner, or rubbing his stomach on the floor.

He let me pick him up, which is unusual, he was happy sniffing about and eating kale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well frank isn’t as bad as Spencer was but we’ve decided that he wasn’t doing well enough to wait until tomorrow morning, as we didn’t want him to deteriorate.

We are now back at the out of hours vets, and it looks like it’s the same vet who saw Spencer.

Oh dear :( Hopefully the vet can establish what's wrong and give Frank some medication, so that you can take him home tonight. It might be dental if he's preferring to eat some foods over others.

Sending him lots of vibes.

Well frank isn’t as bad as Spencer was but we’ve decided that he wasn’t doing well enough to wait until tomorrow morning, as we didn’t want him to deteriorate.

We are now back at the out of hours vets, and it looks like it’s the same vet who saw Spencer.

Ouch! So sorry to hear this. Bad luck :(

I hope he can come home .. Please post back how Frank is

They have checked him over and he hasn’t got bad teeth or any injuries to his mouth.

His temperature and pulse are normal, but she did say his gut felt a bit bloated and gassy.

The are going to check his glucose, give him some injections and send him home with some medication.

It’s going to cost, and we need to bring him inside for the night, as the vet recommended separating them for the night so we can easily monitor his droppings.

They have checked him over and he hasn’t got bad teeth or any injuries to his mouth.

His temperature and pulse are normal, but she did say his gut felt a bit bloated and gassy.

The are going to check his glucose, give him some injections and send him home with some medication.

It’s going to cost, and we need to bring him inside for the night, as the vet recommended separating them for the night so we can easily monitor his droppings.

I hope his glucose isn't high.

Vibes for him and so sorry, the OOH vets are always so expensive

Thanks all, his glucose was normal.

Looks like we got him in before things got too bad.

We’ve brought him inside, it’s not ideal, but we need to be able to confirm whether he has done any poos. It also means we had to separate the boys, as our only other cage is an indoor one.

He had some pain injections, and some ranitidine. And we have some oral ranitidine for tomorrow.

He looks so sad, just laying on his straw and not moving. We’ve made sure there is plenty of hay and water along with some kale and nuggets.

We’ve put some of the kale right next to him so he can have a nibble without having to move too far.

It’s worrying, worse than when Spencer was in the vets over night, as at least then he had vets to look after him

Thanks all, his glucose was normal.

Looks like we got him in before things got too bad.

We’ve brought him inside, it’s not ideal, but we need to be able to confirm whether he has done any poos. It also means we had to separate the boys, as our only other cage is an indoor one.

He had some pain injections, and some ranitidine. And we have some oral ranitidine for tomorrow.

He looks so sad, just laying on his straw and not moving. We’ve made sure there is plenty of hay and water along with some kale and nuggets.

We’ve put some of the kale right next to him so he can have a nibble without having to move too far.

It’s worrying, worse than when Spencer was in the vets over night, as at least then he had vets to look after him

Has the vet advised to syringe feed him overnight?

No, they gave him a ranitidine injection before we left, they told us to start giving him the meds tomorrow

Ah I see. I hope he nibbles something overnight to keep his guts moving.
Will your usual vet be around tomorrow if needs be?

Ah I see. I hope he nibbles something overnight to keep his guts moving.
Will your usual vet be around tomorrow if needs be?

Yes, they do emergency on the day appointments, so if it looks like he hasn’t eaten or pooped in the morning we can call them as soon as they open.

Yes, they do emergency on the day appointments, so if it looks like he hasn’t eaten or pooped in the morning we can call them as soon as they open.

That's good!

Just my advice, but I would make sure I had some Infacol (infant gas meds) and some organic baby food pouches in stock so I could be ready to syringe feed in case he doesn't begin to eat on his own. Do you know whether he was given a painkiller? (Metacam)

I hope you have a peaceful night.

Sounds exactly like what my Calloway had a few weeks ago, he ended up staying in 3 nights at the vets having an x ray done and an injection. His temperature was 2 degrees higher than his brother, that's what the injection was for. Nothing came back conclusive, we are all in agreement he just wanted a spa holiday away from us being told he's handsome and cute by the vets! I hope your bun recovers soon :D

Sounds exactly like what my Calloway had a few weeks ago, he ended up staying in 3 nights at the vets having an x ray done and an injection. His temperature was 2 degrees higher than his brother, that's what the injection was for. Nothing came back conclusive, we are all in agreement he just wanted a spa holiday away from us being told he's handsome and cute by the vets! I hope your bun recovers soon :D

You have a very naughty bun there p&c :lol:

We lost Frank at some point in the night, and the wife and I are absolutely devastated.

I’m so sorry to hear your sad news [emoji22] you did everything you could for him.

Back